1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How do you use bondo?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bboy_Jon, 28 Feb 2005.

1. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Ok well i got some bondo body filler today and the directions confuse me so can someone help?

Do i mix everything in the lil cup thing it came with? how much of the hardener and the other thing do i put in?

Do i have to apply this stuff quick?

Edit: can i take off velcro with permanent adhesive?

Last edited: 3 Mar 2005
  2. striker289

striker289 What's a Dremel?

i ussally apply a 1-2 inch amount of hardener to it depending on howmuch i am using. the more you put in the faster it will harden.

3. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

you dont use bondo. (j/k)

^^^ what he said... the more hardener you put in, the faster it hardens.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2005
  4. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

lol did u mean the more u put in? Or did you really mean the faster you put it in the faster itll harden?

so where do i mix this?

So i put around 1-2 inches of hardener for how many inches of the bondo stuff itself?

Also btw, i didnt wanna make a new topic so is it possible to take off velcro? I put velcro on the case with "Permanent adhesive" so can i still take it off? like rip it off or what?

5. striker289

striker289 What's a Dremel?

just peel the velcro off, yank it off if you must(doesnt sound right).

for the bondo the more you use the fast it will harden. slowly mix a tad in and continue adding till the bondo is a pail pink.

6. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

mix the hardener into the white stuff until it turns pink?

7. Mr.DMCA

Mr.DMCA What's a Dremel?

Yea bro, with bondo you want to add the catalyst in small increments. You'll actually feel it warm up some. The more you add the faster it will harden, the down side of that being it will be more brittle so don't over mix or it won't be worth a dern. Try a few mixs. You can mix it on a scrap piece plexi with a putty knife. <---should do fine.

:dremel:

8. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

so what do i use the cup that came with it for? it said not to put hardener in it, and yet its a measuring cup (its a plastic lid)

9. Nitro_APBT

Nitro_APBT SpiderModder

Just mix it on a piece of cardboard or something. Preferable smooth, flat, and disposable.

That way you can get it off of it, and on to what you're bondoing quickly.

Yes Pink is the color you're looking for. Go back to where you bought it, and look for the plastic spreaders for bondo. THey are also pink, the ideal shade of your mix to be exact :idea:

Good Luck

10. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

look at Pugs guide on mesh integration. He explains very well how to use bondo. (think the pics are down at the moment though :( )

11. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

ya i saw that but i lost it, thanx for linking me

Should i make my mesh one piece?

12. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Ok well i got the velcro off and tried bondo, it dried in like 2 minutes :wallbash:

How much of the other stuff (not the hardener) do i use? im trying to fill up the gap in my bezel (ps1 controller hole thing)

I have no idea what to do i tried to fill this spot that i sanded by accident and i was using an ID card and i probly took like 1 inch of the creme stuff, then an inch of hardener (LOL) and i tried it and i couldnt fill the spot

am i suppose to put alot there to fill it then smooth it and remove excess stuff?

can some one make a vid? and am i suppose to wear gloves? what else can i use besides a putty knife? can i wish bondo off the knife and stuff?

plz help

13. deconiv

deconiv What's a Dremel?

I haven't used bondo yet (keyword: yet), but from the postings I've read from other sites (car fabrication sites), they all state around a 1:1 ratio, so 1 teaspoon of bondo to hardener. Pretty straightforward. If you try it and it doesn't work out for you, I'll help ya do some research. I'm bored like that.

14. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

I had forgotten about this thread, sorry.

A modder's guide to filler selection and use. Its by Pug again on his forums. Also mnpctech is very experienced with fillers, he is regularly on WizD and im sure he would "hold your hand" so to speak. pics would help though