1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide AX2100MT3C -> Keyring... (56k beware)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by emesdee, 28 Feb 2005.

1. emesdee

emesdee What's a Dremel?

How *cough*original*cough* eh?

After pulverizing another athlon with a power supply, and the bottom of my shoe, and seeing how emotionally distressed leeum was by seeing a processor pulverized in such a manner, I followed his suggestion and made a keyring out of one.

I know it's been done 4,533,469 ^ 42 times before but I'm bored, so you are just going to have to put up with another one :p

Before you start, you will need

• A dead processor
    • A small file
    • A drill with 3mm bit
    • A blunt knife or other sturdy flat edged implement
    • Something to hold the processor while you drill the hole

Of course, if you have money to burn you could go out and buy a brand new P4 3.8EE and send it to me, and I'll send you a dead processor :D

First, here is part of my collection of dead AMDs...
    [​IMG]

Including this one :waah:
    [​IMG]

Forogt to take a before shot of the victim, so here it is with the pads removed. I basically just peeled off the pads and scratched/ rubbed the remaining adhesive off.
    [​IMG]

Next, we say tubby-bye-bye to the pins, using my ultra sophisticated pin mangler from the depths of cpu hell...
    Well i couldn't find that one so I'll make do with this instead.
    [​IMG]

To remove the pins, I basically snapped them off by applying quite a bit of pressure on the knife while rubbing it across the pins, back and forth...

Pins-before
    [​IMG]

Pins-during
    [​IMG]

Pins-after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now comes the hole.. 3mm in diameter, about 2-3mm from the edges is about ideal.
    You also need something to hold it steady, but that wont get in your way or damage the cpu... the backside of a dead 462 board is ideal :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I forgot to take a pic of the drill too :duh:, so you'll just have to blieve me when I tell you that I did it with a green cordless 12v drill with a carbon coated 3mm drill bit, and not a spoon m'kay.

Getting the drill to stay in one place was the hardest bit, but once the drill was steady it was a piece of cake.
    [​IMG]

and the (nearly) last touch, file down the corners so you dont get the corner of your new keyring jabbed in to sensitive bits.
    [​IMG]

The next step would be to coat the die with some kind of protective resin so that it doesn't chip or scratch, cos that would suck... but I don't have any :duh:

Anyway, that was how i turned an athlon xp 2100 in to a keyring... exciting or what? Probably not, but if you got this far it was probably just a time-sink anyway.

Enjoy :D

2. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

are u millionar or why do you got the money to fry such a load of chips?

3. T-MINUS 10

T-MINUS 10 Banned

can u make one for me? :D

4. emesdee

emesdee What's a Dremel?

Haha, I wish.

They were dead before I got my mits on them. A friend of the family doing some BER stuff gave them to me.
    If i had that much money I wouldn't still be using a GeForce3 :waah:

Tags: