1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Power to an LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KWC13448, 1 Mar 2005.

1. KWC13448

KWC13448 What's a Dremel?

Hello, my name is Keith Chung and I'm new to the forums. I am inquiring about a statement about how to power up an lcd: "If your inverter asks for 5v you can feed that with a PSU 5v line, pc psus are supposed to be stable." I've found a 15.1" lcd kit at http://store.earthlcd.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.47/it.A/id.662/.f and it comes with an inverter. Thing is....I would like to power the lcd through my power supply. Interesting no? he he. I've read several articles both on this forum and on other websites....but they don't tell you how to connect the power to a molex connector to tap into the 5V line. Since statements have been made regarding it...I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to do it? Also this is a message posted from another person:

21. How do you power the LCD screen?

It has a barrel connector for the power, just snip this off and add a 4-pin molex connector.

Please explain to me how to do this....thank you!

2. infernis

infernis What's a Dremel?

You pretty much have it right.

First, determine from the barrel connector which is power and ground. That's the hard part! Then snip off the connector and strip the wires to a manageable length.

Then, you simply connect power (+5 V) to the red wire on the Molex connector, and ground to any black wire. They are all at effectively the same potential, so it doesn't matter which one you connect to. Solder and heatshrink the two wires together as described, and you're ready to go.

3. KWC13448

Awesome! Thanks a lot, but one more question....how do you determine which is the power and which is the ground?

4. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

with a multimeter, put one probe inside and the other on the outside and turn teh power on while measuring the voltage, if it reads 5V The red probe is touching 5V and the black GND, if it reads -5V the black is touching 5V and the red is touching GND.

fairly simple really :)

5. KWC13448

Awesome! :D now all I need to do is figure out the power consumptions and I get to do my first mod he he thanks!