1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics highest mAh Li-Ion batteries?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by I'm_Not_A_Monster, 26 Feb 2005.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

I'm looking for a Li-ion battery for a project i'm collecting parts for, the design says a 1200 mAh battery can power it for 24 hours, but can you get higher mAh's?

i would just get two of the 1200 mAh's and wire them in parallel, but space is an issue, something about the size of one of those pancake cellphone batteries, not the shrink wrapped AA's.

thank you for any help

2. iamnafets

iamnafets What's a Dremel?

What's the voltage?

3. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i thought all li-ion were 3.6V, guess i was wrong. it's 3.6V

4. iamnafets

iamnafets What's a Dremel?

All the ones that I looked at were 3.6v, I saw your post count and was thinking "yeah, he probably didn't leave that out". Sorry about that!

5. I'm_Not_A_Monster

post count doesn't mean much, but i know just enough to keep from getting banned for spamming :D

6. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

7. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i think laptop batteries would be too big, what i'm trying to do is put a Y-7 mp3 player into an altoids tin. i think that the jumbo tin (about as wide as your hand) would fit a cell phone size Li-Ion battery, the PCB, a small display, and a few small LED's for backlight/buttons. there might not be enough room for the display, so it might be like an ipod shuffle, but the altoids tin mp3 player would be cool enough

8. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i'm using these. they say 1.5AHrs then say 250mAh continuous. i'm guess that for my purposes it will be the 250mAh.

since they are only 5mm thick i can stack a bunch and wire them in parallel. unless i can cram something smaller in there, this looks like the best option

9. Mark R

Mark R What's a Dremel?

You misunderstand what the data sheet says.

It says the capacity is 1.5 Ah (1500 mAh). But then goes on to say that the max current is 250 mA.

In other words, it's fastest allowable discharge would be 6 hours. It'll be a good choice for 24 hours of power.

However, I ought to just give a word of caution - batteries generally shouldn't be connected in parallel - although Li ion are a bit more forgiving than NiCd/NiMH. You should really look into getting a higher capacity battery rather than paralleling them.

10. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i found a 5Ah battery and thought "YES!!! :rock: " but it was in C cell size. :waah:

why can't you hook up batteries in parallel? they are DC, so it's not like a sine wave would have resonance. as far as i can tell, it would be best, since multiple batteries would keep the voltage stable, instead of one battery slowly dropping. (i know Li-ion batteries form conductive carbon inside, instead of something non-conductive like hydrogen)

i just realized that the board is 70mm X 47mm! i can fit AA sized Li-Ion batteries in a pack, digi key has Li-Ion AA's in a flat pack with leads at 2.4 Ah, which will power the player for 48Hrs! (maybe less because i will have some bl00 LED's in there to illuminate the buttons, and maybe a small LCD)

.:EDIT:. it says this:
    Nominal capacity @ 2 mA TO 2V -------------- 2.4Ah
    Rated voltage -------------------------------- 3.6V
    Maximum continuous current ------------------ 100mA
    Maximum pulse current capability -------------- 200mA
    Rated 1 sec. pulse capability (to 3V) ---------- 40mA
    Weight -------------------------------------- 17.6g (0.62 oz.)
    Operating temperature range ---------------- -55'C to +85'C

Last edited: 3 Mar 2005
  11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm guessing wierd things could happen if they don't drain at even rates which I'd think could happen, hence not wanting to wire them in parallel. I'm not positive, just best guess there.

12. markland556

markland556 What's a Dremel?

i have like 6 4000mah ones sitting right here, they are like 3.6v each

13. I'm_Not_A_Monster

are they small enough to fit into an altoids case? if so, where did you get them?

cell phone batteries also work, so if anyone knows of a cellphone battery that is high cap. it would be greatly appreciated if they speak up

14. markland556

markland556 What's a Dremel?

i got them on ebay. they were like $17 each

15. I'm_Not_A_Monster

ouch. are they branded? i could go to the mfg. website and look for distributors