1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Anyone know of good war games for PC?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by saccharomyces, 21 Feb 2005.

1. saccharomyces

saccharomyces What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for presents for a buddy of mine. He's a pretty hardcore RTS gamer, so he has most stuff that's popular. I'm not really familiar with the genre and I don't know all of what he has. I need either something obscure or something new or coming soon. Anyone know any good RTS war games? Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Act of War is coming out sometime.

- H.

3. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

i dunno if these are RTS or not,
    but i think they are anyways,lol.
    rome:total war, command and conquer:generals and zero hour.
    theyre the ones im on lately.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Rome Total War would be a good bet, if he doesn't have it already.

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Buy him a GBA and a copy of Advance Wars ;) Awesome turn based strategy. If you shop around I reckon you could get them both pre-owned for not a lot more than a brand new top line PC game. Portable strategy gaming for the enthusiast.

6. D4VID

D4VID What's a Dremel?

the kings of RTS, Ensemble Studios, are releasing Age of Empires III some time this year (although not till the autumn by the looks of it). Given their reputation, its pretty much guaranteed to be an awesome game.

7. Raymus

Raymus What's a Dremel?

I know Call of Duty isnt a strategy game but if he also likes old style war FPS games. He would love that. Just my two cents. Also brings a question to my attention. To anyone whos played Call of Duty. The mission where your a German and your trying to save the city of Stalengrade. Is it just me or does that seem like a rip-off of the movie Enemy at the Gates? Or did it realy happen that way? Where the German officers would shoot there own retreating soldiers. Just curious

8. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War is excellent, best RTS recently. Act of War looks good, the demo certainly wasn't bad.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2005
  9. saccharomyces

saccharomyces What's a Dremel?

Yeah, he has Warhammer. He has a lot of stuff. These are all great suggestions, it looks like, cuz I printed them out and checked against what he has, has all of 'em that are already out.

I looked up Act of War, that might work timing-wise, found it here:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/actofwardirectaction/media.html
    I'd d/l the demo, but my computer's not hi spec enough to run it. Do y'all think it's something a hardcore RTS gamer would like?

10. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

Codename: Panzers is a pretty good rts. You can download the demo if you want to try it.

Also Rise of Nations isn't bad either.

[off topic]

First off Stalengrad was a Russian city, so your fighting as a Russian to save the city. And yes, that is what really happened. The officers would shoot anyone that retreited. "Not one step back" was a real saying that Stalin made. The way the both the movie and in CoD portrayed the events are both very correct. The way they went over the river in the boats (which would be attacked by german fighter planes), the fact that one person would get a loaded gun and the next person would get a clip of bullets, and all those things are true. When the person in front of you died you'd grab the gun and reload it... then probably die shortly after and someone else would grab the gun.

The attack on the center of the city really happened, and many people died there in as short of period of time as portayed in the game. It was a major turning point of the war on the eastern front. And the stuff about Versiles (spelling? The sniper in the movie) is also true, not to that extent, but he was a real person.

[/off topic]

Last edited: 22 Feb 2005
  11. Gazcoop

Gazcoop What's a Dremel?

panzers is a very good game, as is blitzkrieg. Age of Mythology is good if you like that kind of thing. :idea:

12. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I remember there used to be this game I think was by Microsoft, something like The Last Bridge, can't remember what it was eaxctly called.

The best turn-based strategy game I hve played, it was set in WW1 or maybe 2 I can't remember, does anyone know which game I'm talking about.

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Spot on dude.

14. Maxado

Maxado What's a Dremel?

C&C,age of mythology,rome tw are good rts....but what about turned base strategy? the latest age of wonders seems very good..
    Besides DO watch out for Age of Empires III, if it's good as the others it will one the beste rts in the market..problably will try to get myself as soon as it is out in the market(altough in portugal stores seem to get them a few months after other countries sigh :waah: )

15. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Just go buy Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 and be done with it :)

16. Xenred

Xenred What's a Dremel?

Lol Red alert 2 is the past man, U have to have Generals :D :p Red Alert Looks Well dated now

17. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Oh well, Red Alert 2 is a far better game then generals IMHO. I am eagerly awaiting the new Red Alert that is in development. I don't care how long it takes. I am a huge C&c fan and Red Alert is my fav. part of the C&C story.

18. callum smells

callum smells What's a Dremel?

Warlords battlycry serias they are amazing i ahve c+c generals and red alert1+2 and tiberium sun generals...not v good but okey...red alert 2 AMZAING tiberuim sun...ABSOLUTLY AMAZING red alert 1 ok

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

total annihilation is my fave ever RTS game, bar none
    the core contingency expansion pack is a necessity as well, along with some massive uber unit pack availible freely on the internet

20. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Absolutely! I tried the demo last night and it so reminds me of C&C in it's glory day, with the quality video footage and cut scenes. I will own this game on its first day out, which is what, 10 days away?

Tags: