1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eBay, anyone used it? Good and bad comments please

Discussion in 'General' started by Henchman:crg, 28 Feb 2005.

1. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Not more ebay, I've just written 3 pages of my bs coursework on it :waah:

<A88>

2. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Well, seems if you are genuine bidder, you got no chance. Someone seems to always outbid you, then put it strait back on ebay at twice the price.

Can't stand middle men making money at everyone elses expense. :miffed:

3. painesy

painesy What's a Dremel?

I use ebay all the time and I've never had any problems.
    As everyone says, if you make sure you check peoples feedback first you never normally run into problems.

4. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

one thing though, if you want something real bad, dont bid on it from the start, wait till the last possible minute even second lol and bid 5 bucks over the last price, that way if someone wants it too he'll go 50 cents or a dollar over you and by the time he gets, you have been outbidded by another bidder and enters another bid, you're the lucky winner lol :hehe: but this thing is a two way trick lol
    Sorry for the bidding thing grammar if it's not right loll

5. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Yeah, auction sniping (though not using 3rd party apps / services) is the only way to go if you really want something.

What anoys me (except when I'm selling an item) is when people start a bidding war with a week still to go, idiots.

Also, usless it's an item that you think people would search for don't bother with 10 or 7 day auctions as your item will be burried deep in page 10+ or so. 3 or 5 day is the best and ending over the weekend.

6. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

I use it all the time... never really any problems. One time I had a buyer change his mind after he purchased my item. But that got worked. As far as me buying stuff I've had no problems. Just keep in contact with the other person, and always check the feedback. If your selling something exspensive its a good idea to put it "Must have atleast such and such positive feedback to bid". Also auction sniping is something to watch for. Always try to watch the last 5 minutes of your auctions. Its great though

7. koola

koola Minimodder

eBay's a great pace to get everything and I have been using it for over 2 years now, but fraud is getting so common that i'm closing my account :(

Just this week, I've had a chargeback from some ram I bought over 3 months ago from a seller with 72+ feedback. Turns out you can make fake feedback :duh: and fraudsters are using this to trick a load of people - where did it all go wrong :(

8. rK@NE

rK@NE Rover's gonna get it...

Chargeback?
    /noob

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Revoking payments via paypal. E.g.,
    *seller sells item*
    *buyer pays, receives item*
    -3 month gap-
    *buyer does a chargeback, getting his cash back from seller*

:miffed:

10. rK@NE

rK@NE Rover's gonna get it...

/nod

That's not good, aren't there any measures in place to stop something like that?

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Apparently not, apart from possibly not using paypal :D

12. koola

koola Minimodder

PayPal are supposed to protect you with their stupid "sellerProtection" but they always just give the money back, no matter what you do to prove you have sent the item :(

Take my advice - stay away!

Last edited: 4 Mar 2005
  13. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

Only bought a few items off ebay. Overall good service.

One problem I had - a guy was holding onto a fan connector he should have sent with the heatsink. After several emails he sent it (a couple of weeks after the other bits).

Only reason I didn't leave him neutral or negative feedback is because I thought he would do the same to me.

14. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Yeah, thats why I either give positive or no feedback. I have seen people with previously unflawed feedback give neutral feedback saying something along the lines of "Well packaged but slow delivery, thanks." and the seller reply after with "Bad eBayer, do not deal with." just for not giving positive feedback.

15. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Dont want to hyjack the thread but i've never sold anything on ebay, how does it work, do they charge you a fixed price, or does it go by weight, color, temperature outside or some elaborate percentage etc :hehe:

16. RTT

RTT #parp

Read their FAQ, but in a nutshell: you pay to list your item and you pay ebay a %age of the final price that your item sells for. That %age changes depending upon how much the item sells for. Paypal also take a %age of cash you receive into your paypal account, again that %age varies depending upon the amount of cash moving. IIRC also there is a paypal fee to move cash from your paypal account to your bank account if it is under a certain amount (£50 for us UK people).
    Of course, the Paypal part is optional - there is no obligation to use paypal with ebay whatsoever.

[/hijack] :blush:

17. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Thnx, so that's what i tought, basically they rob you blind lol :hehe:

18. RTT

RTT #parp

I think the listing fees + ebay final fees are perfectly reasonable. I don't agree with the paypal fees being as high as they are though, but that's ok because you don't have to use paypal and 9 in 10 sellers will accept a cheque.

19. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Well

I have tried to bid for the same item sold from 3 different people, and the same person keeps buying it and selling it at a stupid price.
    I want it, but I am not going to pay stupid money for it.
    Maybe I should just keep bidding and let him try and sell the whole lot for stupid money.

P.S. By the way, he hasn't had a single bid since trying to re-sell them on.

20. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

A reasonable profit is acceptable to me but I can't believe the prices some items are sold for.

I was bidding on a motherboard and was desperate to get hold of it, went for nearly double the price I wanted to pay (thank God I didn't win it as I kept bidding). Got an email from the guy (through ebay) asking if I would like to buy it.