1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Just wondering which is best?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shadowed_fury, 4 Mar 2005.

1. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Just checking on the order of my loop :)

RES>PUMP>CPU>GPU>RAD>RES

or

RES>PUMP>RAD>CPU>GPU>RES

I'm guessing the top ones gonna be better maybe, but best to check i though ;)

2. Is it a question..

Is it a question.. What's a Dremel?

i do think its actually the second one as u want the coolest water going straight to the cpu, and that is going to be from the rad so put the pump between ur res and rad..... if you wanna go real extreme (dunno what ur plans are but you need a real good pump and 2 rads)

RES>PUMP>CPU>RAD>GPU>RAD>RES

but hey thats just being silly.... :D :D :D

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I will be getting a new rad soon actually.
    Thing is i thought have the RAD just before the RES was good since you get colder water in the RES and therefore going through the system :)

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

RES>PUMP>RAD>CPU>GPU>RES

;)

- S

5. Is it a question..

yes but the res is like a backup lake storing the water before it moves round the system and therefor will be ever so slightly warmer than straight from the rad. and also the pump itself is centrifugal (bad spelling i think :blush: ) and will also heat the water due to friction, ever so slightly though aswell. we are talking in total of a couple of degrees, if noticeable at all, but in theory

res>pump>rad>cpu>vga>res is better performance wise. anyone please do put me right if im wrong..... :waah:

6. Ancient_1

Ancient_1 What's a Dremel?

It really makes almost no difference since the pump adds such a small amount of heat it would raise the temp going through it proably less than .1°c.

The best way would be which is easiest to route.

7. Is it a question..

i know hence i said "probably no noticeable difference" and in "theory". but cheers but i know :D

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Agreed, Ancient_1.

There is a *slight* difference if you put the rad right before the CPU, but the overall effect is minimal (1-2 degrees at best, and that's with a very hot pump), so just run it however is the most convenient.

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Will do what ever is easier, just wanted to check i wasn't gonna be loosing 10c by a little fault :)

10. Ancient_1

Ancient_1 What's a Dremel?

What kind of pump are you using? At 1gpm flow rate it would take a pump generating over 500watts (and consuming 700~800) to raise the temp of the water going through it 2°. Realisticly two tenths of a degree raise would be far more than any of us would see (it would take a pump like an Iwaki 30 series to dump that much and the flow from such a pump still wouldnt allow two tenths of a degree raise). Depending on flow most loops with the pump, CPU and GPU included wont see more than 1° rise in water temps (really depends on flow rate tho) from the warmest to coolest water in the loop.

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

i'm using an AQX50z

12. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

True, but I post an overestimation for safety's sake, so he knows the farthest possible increase. My pump raises the temps in my system by a little over half a degree, but then I'm using a mother of a pump, too. :)

13. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

The only thing I'd suggest is to put the res as close to the pump intake as possible. It may not make any difference but it might help keep the pump a little more quiet due to cavitaion.

Tags: