1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics combining pc plugs into one

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cookie Monster, 4 Mar 2005.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Not a clue if this is possible, im just curious.

Im building a new pc and want to minimise the number of wires going to it so it will have a wireless keyboard and mouse witht he reciver stored inside the case. Will also be networked wirelessly.

But this still leaves the USB lead linking it to the hub and the monitor lead.

So what i was thinking was would it be possible to cut the plug off these and run them through a parallel printer plug at either end, making it so i only connect one plug to the pc?

Like so:

----USB-----|-----------|----USB------|
    -------------|Parallel plug|--------------|Mobo
    ---Monitor---|-----------|---Monitor---|

Am i just being daft because really i could just sleeve them all?

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead What's a Dremel?

it's possible, if you put your case a new parallel plug...and offcourse you will have to shield the both wires or it will e seen on the monitor... :rolleyes:
    and just incase you should put ferrite rings in both ends :D

3. Cookie Monster

cheers for the reply with your first post :thumb:

Welcome to bit-tech.

Whats the dealio with shielding and what are ferrite rings? /goes off to google

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

A monitor typically uses coaxial type cabling for the 5 main signal wires, ( R G B Hsync Vsync) That would cause tons of interference/ghosting and stuff.

However, a DVI cable has cabling in it for both analog and the digital stuff (thats why all the adaptors are small... no DACs or anything, just changing the pinout) Then add the USB lines to the digital signal lines in the cable that you don't need for the monitor... there you go.

Yes it is very possible, you just need the right kind of cable. Good luck

5. Cookie Monster

Its all starting to sound a bit technical, i thought it may me as simple as desoldering the current pluds and soldering on the new one. I think im gonna leave this now and its looking like its too much trouble.

6. planki

planki ...

could you not use extension cables to relocate all of these ports to one area on your case and then kind of sheath all of the cables together so you just have a group of 4 or 5 plugs hanging off the end with the rest all bundled together.

i think thats the next nearest thing as it wouldnt look that bad as all the plugs would be in one area.

7. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

It is simple, it is just putting a new connector on the end of it. You just have to have the right kind of cable for it to work correctly, that was your only problem.

8. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

You could just plug the usb base stations onto the mobo's internal usb headers and leave the base station circuitry inside the computer. That way, all you would have is the monitor and power cables.

Personally, I wouldn't go mucking about with the monitor cable because you could really screw up the picture quality, not to mention, damage your graphics card and monitor if you made a wiring error.