1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics bfg 6800 gt oc in lower end system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fof gwada, 5 Mar 2005.

1. fof gwada

fof gwada What's a Dremel?

Hey i was wondering i put a bfg 6800 gt in my p4 if it well be bottle necked, please tell me fast and if i need to tell you more about my computer, also its a 420 watt psu and it well only bee in there for aleast a week and a half

2. DaKind420

DaKind420 What's a Dremel?

420 watt should be fine, and unless you're P4 is under 2.6-2.8 it shouldn't be a problem either. An Athlon 64 would definately be faster though....

3. fof gwada

its a 2.4 Err!! but in a week or 2 i should have my new system which is going to kick ass

4. DaKind420

If your new rig will use AGP as well than go ahead and use it. It's not going to cause any damage and will be faster than anything else you have, unless you have an X850XT PE now... The 2.4 isn't going to make it run like a FX5200 or anything.

If you want a gaming rig, stick with Athlon 64, they rock in gaming!!

5. fof gwada

yeah im building a amd athlon 64 3500+ and stuff but i just wanted to see how it would be with this card in, and my friend said it would lose performance?

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

The card won't "lose performance" per se, it just won't shine as well as it would in a more powerful system.

It's like taking an FX-55 and putting in PC2100 RAM...You'll lose a ton of performance.

7. fof gwada

oh i see, dangit i just bought this card tonight and tigerdirect is selling the bfg 6800 ultra for 400, but i don't really want it that much, its huge and sucks down power like crazy

8. DaKind420

Besides if you have good case cooling and a decent PSU you'll probably be able to hit Ultra speeds with no problem. Goodluck on the build. Once you get that system in you should setup folding@home on both of them :)

9. fof gwada

when you say i should setup folding@home on both of them what does that mean?

10. rkenny666

rkenny666 What's a Dremel?

when i run 3dmark05 with my p4 2.4 @ stock speeds i get 3200, and overclocked to 3.2 i get 5000.
    hope this gives you some idea of how big the bottleneck will be

11. fof gwada

Also do you know where i can put those little copper heatsink things that stick onto the memory or w/e can someone tell me where i can put these on the graphics card

12. dharma punk

dharma punk What's a Dremel?

If you're planning on an upgrade to A64 you may want to wait and get a PCI-E card instead of the AGP. Most of the socket 939 boards coming out now use PCI-E instead of the AGP, which would render an AGP card useless.

On another note, if you do go with a PCI-E card, I recommend the X800XL over the GT unless you plan on using an SLI board. They perform about the same and the X800XL is a bit cheaper. Compusa has them at $300.00 US in my town.

13. fof gwada

i just bought an agp card already so

14. InFr@Red

InFr@Red What's a Dremel?

need help finding a driver

once i had the rage 3d nvidia drivers but i cant find them if any 1 cann get me the drivers it would be great

15. fof gwada

16. InFr@Red

InFr@Red What's a Dremel?

thank you

17. DaKind420

Folding@Home is a distributed computer project that bit-tech has a team for. click on the link in my sig for more info. There is also a forum for it, i think it got moved to hardware/overclocking.

Tags: