1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding LASERS!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mattthegamer463, 26 Feb 2005.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

well i was looking around on google and the only lasers that are visible in the air are super powerful, chemical lasers. im thinking that i will need to think of something else that looks laserish, but is not a laser. im thinking some sort of plastic tubes that i could put light through, and would look like a beam going through the air, but is actually a piece of plastic. or EL wire. i need to think more. suggestions/ideas?

2. Slayer the Unholy

Slayer the Unholy What's a Dremel?

hmm...if you had an acrilic box filled with something inside your case and shone the lazer through it it might. Maybe even just a piece of acrilic with the beam shining through and the whole thing except where the lazer shines in, obviously not on the broad side of it.

3. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

maybe a series of taught fiber optic stuff?

4. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

another thing that might look cool would be to have lasers running through watercooling resivoirs. they would just be visible while in the water, and imo would look pretty cool. would this be possible?

5. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

Or you can have a special side of your case(Behind mobo) with a acrylic sheet and have some dust or smoke with the mirrors to make it bounce off?Other wise I would not know :duh: :wallbash:

6. Mr.DMCA

Mr.DMCA What's a Dremel?

Going to have to go with Kidmodder on this one. I'm sitt'n here in the office tonight just brows'n around and stopped to read this thread. The best and most awesome way for you to complete a laser ball light show in your case is to Physically move the motherboard foot plate closer perhaps 2 inches or more. This will leave you plenty room on the other side to create a plexiglass enclosure full of smoke or argon to get a reaction for the beams. Then you can have a little disco ball sound activated light splitter to shoot the beam all around the inside of this area. the Beam can hit the inside edges which could be loaded with mirror tabs and bounce it everywhere.

Wait, you could even do it in a window mod, think of the floating fish window mod. Just do it with a gas filled enclosure with a few motorized beams.....

Come on guys i'm surprised no-one thought of this.....

Thats one for DMCA

:rock:

oh and the kid too :duh:

7. Tricky

Tricky What's a Dremel?

If you could knock together some form of small acrylic reservoir and fill it with some water and some oil, and then have some way of slowly moving the mixture about in the tank (rc propellor / heating element / 2 pipes and a tiny pump [care with oil & glitter] or a hot white light source)

Then.. whenever you looked through the window, providing your reservoir is tall enough to allow convection you should see a moving display as the laser is diffracted differently by the rising oil and water. Sort of like a lava lamp but without the dye. Also you would be the first person to ever mod a propeller inside your case (?!)

<off topic - Smilodon it's a KrF laser and high vacuum chamber that we use for Pulsed Laser Deposition. That’s a way of getting thin films (10 - 300 nm) of material deposited onto a substrate for research purposes (I work in a solid state chemistry research group at oxford uni)>

Am now intrigued by idea of propeller inside tank inside case :worried:

Pete

8. mattthegamer463

i was thinking the same type of thing. making a box with an acryllic side that would have smoke or something in it, and i would put a laser in there with some mirrors on the side, then it could be on a motor and it would move around and the laser would bounce off the sides.

9. melloman

melloman What's a Dremel?

10. mattthegamer463

what is that melloman?

11. emuexplosion

emuexplosion What's a Dremel?

thats a user sent in picture from thinkgeek.com

those lasers on there are 99

a simple search on google will lead you to ones that are 49

12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

13. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

how about this green visible laser? bid on ebay or buy it now for £60.

14. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

indeed those green lasers are on thinkgeek.com

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/

my mate has one of the green ones, he found it outside a club, typical eh, you can shine it off whatever you can see, it can go so far, its really eeery!

15. andywww

andywww What's a Dremel?

Any colloidal suspension eh?

No reason that the lasers have to go through air, how about cloudy plexiglass? Any suspended particles will scatter the light to make it visible.

16. polus

polus What's a Dremel?

Where I work they have some amazing laser setups. Although most of them are class 3b. This means (in simple terms) that you cant see the laser beam but if get too close you will go blind in under 0.25s and all you will hear is the retina's in your eyes sizzling.

If your thinking about this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5a47/ make sure you know what your dealing with as its a class 3a laser (class 1 is the only laser that wownt blind you). It would look cool :) but....

Seriously, be careful when you’re playing with lasers.

17. nofear

nofear What's a Dremel?

wow those lase pics from the think geek site look so dodgy. Is that actually legal?!!!!! :jawdrop:

18. mjwizards15

mjwizards15 What's a Dremel?

19. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

20. mattthegamer463

are they seriously not because i wont get one if they are.