1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Whoa... Look out Canada...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dad, 8 Mar 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

From the Toronto Star:

Say no to Big Brother plan for Internet

MICHAEL GEIST

During the Internet boom of the late 1990s, Nortel Networks ran an advertising campaign that featured as its slogan, "what do you want the Internet to be?" The implications were obvious — the Internet was a technology of unlimited possibility that could be whatever we wanted it to be.

More than five years later, Nortel's vision is becoming reality. The Internet has become so essential to the every day lives of millions of people — a pillar of communication, information, entertainment, education, and commerce — that at times it seems as if the Internet really is anything we want it to be.

Notwithstanding the Internet's remarkable potential, there are dark clouds on the horizon. There are some who see a very different Internet. Theirs is an Internet with ubiquitous surveillance featuring real-time capabilities to monitor online activities. It is an Internet that views third party applications such as Vonage's Voice-over-IP service as parasitic. It is an Internet in which virtually all content should come at a price, even when that content has been made freely available. It is an Internet that would seek to cut off subscriber access based on mere allegations of wrongdoing, without due process or oversight from a judge or jury.

This disturbing vision of the Internet is not fantasy. It is based on real policy proposals being considered by the Canadian government today.

Leading the way is the federal government's "lawful access" initiative. While the term lawful access sounds innocuous, the program, which dates back to 2002, represents law enforcement's desire to re-make Canada's networks to allow for lawful interception of private communications.

If lawful access becomes reality, Canada's telecommunications service providers (TSPs) will be required to refit their networks to allow for real-time interception of communications, to have the capability of simultaneously intercepting multiple transmissions, and to provide detailed subscriber information to law enforcement authorities without a court order within 72 hours.

Rest of article is here
    http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...le&cid=1110150624459&call_pageid=970599119419...

2. Migishu

Migishu What's a Dremel?

Damn, and I thought Canadian internet was l33t, what with MP3 downloading legal and all...

Still, it's not like I do anything illegal.

The real question is what they will consider illegal and legal. There are tonnes of things people consider legal on the internet (for example, look at Bash.org and read through some of the quotes there), yet the government might take it as a serious thing.

In the short run, I think it will make everyone too paraonid to even consider writing an email. The system is open for abuse (what if a hacker is able to use this technology? Imagine the possible damage, or even a virus? If a virus got the ability to transfer itself over this so called safety net, every computer in Canada would be infected instantly... or what about a rogue official? I don't want them reading my emails that I send to my family in Australia).

3. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

x

Last edited: 25 Oct 2013
  4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

This is one of the most ignorant thing's I've seen canada do for a good while. If this goes into effect, me and some friends already have it setup to move out of the country :thumb: This can only be the start of something bigger...

Why am I being deemed too stupid to protect myself on the internet?

Oh, hey, since I'm now not able to make decisions for myself anymore, when is the guy coming about to pick a suitable mate for me? Not like I should be able to choose or anything ehh?

Last edited: 8 Mar 2005
  5. noneuno

noneuno What's a Dremel?

Because you misspelled "being." :eyebrow:

On a serious note, things like this always backfire. I'm not sure how, but the truth of the matter is that the government is always 12 steps behind when it comes to internet technology. And by twelve steps, I mean "step 1 is admitting the problem... step 2 is..."

PS Dad, you live about 5-10 miles from my dad.

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Wow, I typo'd on one word... Guess that makes me the lowest common denominator :D

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

You're damn right it does :D

8. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

Would this do any good? I see a boom in real time audio encryption for VOIP. Bandwidth may even be enough for steganographic methods. Without decryption the recipient hears some soothing Mozart, after decryption a discussion about the next illegal music download.

9. Migishu

Migishu What's a Dremel?

Curious, but ageofconscent.com states that the canadian legal conscenting sex age is 14, is this true? If so, then any kind of discussion about having sex with someone that age could be mistaken for child abuse. Hell, I only learnt about it when someone gave me the link. Seems kinda low...

Another reason for abuse...

10. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Imagine - stenographic filesharing - music encrypted as ... More music !! :D

11. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

When privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy.

Nezuji :)

12. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

To me it seams the canadian government's is testing the boundaries as to how far it will be allowed to go. If they're allowed to intercept internet communications without a court order what will be next?What about intercepting our phone calls without a court order? what about placing recording devices in our home without a court order? Why not just implant us all with some GPS transmitter, I mean seeing as we don't even know where the 'any' key is, it must mean we need all the help we can get finding our way next door to borrow some milk. Oh and that transaction must somehow be recorded, just incase we forget about it when they come round to borrow some tea.

At least it's not as bad as over here in the UK where they're trying to bring in poeple under house arrests, without court orders, these will not be allowed to use the phone or internet. I wonder how they're going to do their weekly shooping...

Whatever happenned to the notion "innocent until speculated guilty", oh hang on, that's where we're heading....

sorry about the rant, it's something i feel very strongly against.

Tags: Add Tags