1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Informations on "Rainbow LED"

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ken0009, 8 Mar 2005.

1. ken0009

ken0009 What's a Dremel?

I all,

I just bought a cool mice this afternoon, a small one called Genius NetScroll+ Mini Traveler. This one have Iris stuff inside. BTW there is a RGB led that glows inside and does random colors.

As I'm at the point of soldering the Raibow Circuit, I just bought this mice to check out how they've done inside a so tiny box (and cause it looks awesome too :D ).

I open the stuff and there I was really surprised. I thought I'd found a comme RGB Led with 4 pins and an IC controlling the thing. Instead of that, there is "only" a single LED with 2 pins. When you power this led with 3V DC, it randomly glows ! The circuit is inside the LED.

I've been looking for such LEDs on the web without success this afternoon (well it was at work so I was not able to give my entire concentration to that search :hehe: ). Anyway, I post some pictures to let you see the inside.
    If one of you have a piece of clue where to find this LED, i'll be very interesting in for a future mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Mar 2005
  2. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

if I were you, I'd put an extra bright red led inside that instead..

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

4. ken0009

ken0009 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I thought doing that as I would like to get the LED inside the mice to do something else with. But I would need more than one rainbow led.

cpemma, thank you for the tech specs :thumb:

5. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Last entry on this page.

6. ken0009

ken0009 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link.
    It seems that those Leds are flashing ones. The one that is in my mouse changes progressively from one color to the other (fade effect). I'm gonna try to make a animated gif to show you.

::UPDATE::

Here the gif (a little bit crapy but....)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Mar 2005
  7. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

Pretty amazing really, but that link whypick1 gave is pretty much it, but it flashes the colours alot faster than in your gif. :)

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The eglet datasheet shows six different modes available (not from the same led ;)), flashing, blending, etc, like xmas tree lights. Looks like their order quantity is 1000-off, so you may have to rip one out of a toy. Google found a rainbow led pen, so expect to see them around in novelties. :D

Last edited: 9 Mar 2005
  9. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

1000 rainbow LEDs in a PC case isn't too excessive. I suggest you buy 1000 and post the results :lol:

15A current draw :)

10. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

All mixed lights, w00t :lol:

11. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

Doesn't mention how the color actually changes, but superbrightleds.com has a autochanging one listed here.

Edit:Actually, if you go to the checkout page it says

"Automatic Color Changing 5mm LED
    Cycles through R G B RG GB RB RGB first slow, then fast
    LEDs are 1000 mcd / 30 Degree, units operate from 2.9~5.0 VDC - no resistor required

1.59USD

12. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

A resistor is required for these type of LEDs, not sure where you obtained those ratings from, but the actual manufacturers of these LEDs state that it should be treated like any other GaN LED - i.e. 3.3V@20mA.

13. One~Zero

One~Zero What's a Dremel?

14. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

I'm quoting superbrightleds.com on this page , Maybe it's wrong or the datasheet is. :dunno:

If it is, I'm sure they'll figure it out pretty quick when everyone complains their leds burnt out.