1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding What can i do with this?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ozstrider, 23 Feb 2005.

1. ozstrider

ozstrider What's a Dremel?

I managed to scab this thing. An old 486 full tower. Ripped all the parts out down to just a cover, front and chassis. Ive never modded a case before, so im wondering the extent of the work i gotta do. I already kinda have the front planned out, im just worried bout what i have to do to the chassis part.

[​IMG]

2. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

well if it was for a 486 its gonna be AT, for along time the form factor has been ATX so for starts your going to have to re drill and re thread some holes on the motherboard tray so that you can get your mobo in.

3. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

Well you could do a old 1900's retro case like mine. Well sortov like mine.

4. ozstrider

Yeh i figured as much :sigh: . How much work is involved in that? I might build a normal sized PC for the moment, and save this one for a later project. I had a nice design for the window to :waah:

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Other then the fact that you have more external 5.25" bays then I do, I've basically got the same tower:

[​IMG]

Believe me, these things are bloody awesome, you'll never regret going to one of these. The newer cases feel so limp and floppy when you compre it to one of these older heavy-metal cases. Do you still have the bottom plastic bezel? If so, great, as you'll want to utilize it to complete the look (the full sized 486 towers just don't look right without the bottom bezel).

To mount up an ATX mobo in your new AT/AT case, it's very simple. Materials: sharpie, drill, drill bit (just smaller then a mobo stand-off screw), an older mobo, and a couple expansion cards.

Basically, you'll want to put a couple cards into the mobo, and place the mobo in the case, making sure to line up the cards with their corresponding expansion slots in the back of the case. Secure cards to case. Then, utilizing sharpie, mark where your mobo holes will need to be drilled (one or two holes may match up in the case, but I'll almost guarantee you that these will be too offset to be used). From there, just drill out the holes, and thread in your mobo stand-off's. If you don't have a threading tool, a good trick is to use the same screw that holds the shell on to thread the hole for the stand-off.

I've done this same exact thing on 4 AT/AT cases now, and not once have I had a problem. Good luck, and if you need any help (as in: my adress so you can send it to me), feel free to ask. I or another experienced modder will be more than happy to help you with your wonderful case find. Have fun.

6. ozstrider

Heavy is right, this thing weighs a ton! I have everything that is on the outside of the case. All the little plastic interior bits, and some of the metal have been taken out and binned.
    For the front, i was gonna putty it up and sand it smooth lol. I might leave the funky old school grill now tho. Its just so big and daunting. I will have a crack at it, if i get stuck, ill put it aside for a later time.
    But your right, it is a nice big solid case. Definately deserves to have a good job done on it. Ive got the imagination, but im not sure about the skill. :blush:

7. mjwizards15

mjwizards15 What's a Dremel?

I say u cut a side panel and put plexi glass on it then on the other side cut like bullet holes and make it so the are LED lights in the bullet holes :hip: