1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WhiteIce | BIG PICTURE UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by illvit, 14 Dec 2004.

?

How should the finnish on the plexi be?

Poll closed 9 Jan 2005.
  1. Clear blank

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Matt(icy)

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. White under the plexi(mirror)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. illvit

illvit What's a Dremel?

Wait and see!!

2. illvit

illvit What's a Dremel?

Takk

Update

In this picture you can see why I made the bow in the backplate. THe HK is going to be hanged a little bit longer up. I haven't fasted the Hk to the Case yet, it is just hangin there. (The Psu is not fasten either. It is just hangin' there)
    [​IMG]

Here you can see that the PSU is layd in squeeze between the frame and the backplate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More picture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filed the right side a little bit.
    [​IMG]

I hope I haven't done too much wrong

Last edited: 9 Mar 2005
  3. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

dont take this the wrong way, please re-do it, it looks s*** at the moment, i like the idea that your doing it out of wood, but just do it properly, it all looks bodged and ugly, if i were you i would just start again

just my 2p

4. illvit

illvit What's a Dremel?

Not exactly what I expected to hear, but okey. I think personally that it almost look okey now, but I have to sand the case til it get very smooth first. I don't think I am going to remake this case.

Ps. The case is going to be sprayed glossy white.

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I think frodo was a little harsh. Here's my 2p. I think the case looks fine, I think what frodo was referring to was the places at the rear of the case where the cuts are un-even and not straight. I've no idea about wood but some sort of filler might put them right :D Keep it up.

6. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

thanks for putting it straight for me leeum, i think if you use filler to smooth it all out a bit, straigten your cuts up nicely, then it will look nice

sorry for being harsh earlier, just forgot to mention what i was saying looked crap

p.s to make it look better at the back, you could cut the rear hole, to take a normal PC I/O plate, as that would mean in the future you could just switch it out when/if you change your motherboard (HK is what i think you were saying)

it would also look cleaner, and would support the motherboard ports a bit better (so they dont break off... dont ask, it happened to me once :O)

once again, sorry about earlier....

mod on :dremel:

7. illvit

illvit What's a Dremel?

Leerum: Thanks. I think I am going to go for Frodo's tips.
    Frodo: I forgive you :p . Anyway, thanks for the tips. What do you mean about that the motherboards ports break off? Do you have any pictures?

8. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

you know when you buy a case... at the back of it where all the ports are (usb, kb, mouse etc etc) there is normally a little silver plate, that can be removed, if you take that out of an old case (or buy on from a shop) then you can cut the back hole to the size of that plate, which would A) look cleaner B) offer future expandability

take care :dremel:

haha leeum posted before you :D

yeh thats what i mean, by the ports breaking off i mean that if you dont have one of them you can place to much pressure on the ports (Say keyboard, mouse etc etc) which CAN snap the actual motherboard mounting point (where the "ports" meet the motherboard)

9. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

By I/O Shield he means this gizmo:

[​IMG]

That should tidy the back up nicely :hip:

10. illvit

illvit What's a Dremel?

It sound scary. I think I'm gonna follow your tips. :thumb: The I/o Shield followed with the motherboard. And I am going to made a new cd-stealth to. The other one was too skew

Last edited: 9 Mar 2005
  11. Mr.B

Mr.B What's a Dremel?

Illvit, I admire your effort on this case, but it looks very unstable with those cuts. You should definitely get some wood and replace certain sections. ALso, purchase a jigsaw, it will make your cuts 10000000x straighter and cleaner. People are giving you a hard time about the crookedness of your cuts, but in part, i think its because you lack the propper tools.

Heres some jigsaws, even a cheap one will produce straighter cuts than you have now...

http://search.ebay.com/orbital-jigs...tionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

GL mate :D

12. illvit

illvit What's a Dremel?

I have bought one already :D The case is not unstable. I can sit on it, and can't once hear a little KNAAK sound.

13. Mr.B

Mr.B What's a Dremel?

O sweet, good job man getting that tool, have u used it yet. My favorite modding tool by far.

Well then, if its solid, then I saw hell, function over form, if you like the way its lookin, :rock: Rock on brotha.

Bryan - (Likes people who work their mod all the way through and dont give up)

14. illvit

illvit What's a Dremel?

Thanks! :p But I'm not sactisfied with the look yet. It have to be more smoother.

15. 0ri0n

0ri0n What's a Dremel?

Great job, kudos for effort.

But I just don't see the point, more than learning wood-craft.
    I would never have put my main rig in such a novice build.

But mod on! I'm sure that I'm misstaken! :dremel:

16. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

So your design is down pat - now's the time to re-cut it all, and mod it a lil more, to make it perfect. That's the nice thing to wood - it's cheap enough to re-do the case.

17. illvit

illvit What's a Dremel?

But the big dilema is that I have glued it fast. :waah: :hehe:

18. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

so cut new wood just like the old wood and put the HW in that. (well, cut it with straight edges and such)

19. illvit

illvit What's a Dremel?

Maybe I will do it once in the furture, but first I have to be done with this case. :D I will made the best out of it. I think I have got better skills now then when I start :D

20. barrientos

barrientos Guest

illvit, if it feels good, do it.

The skills needed to mod a case have to be lernt, either seeing what other people have done or by trial and error. We all break bits and pieces, we all misjudge a cut, we've all had to remeasure, ... we all make mistakes, it's part of the learning process.

The good :thumb:
    I like the design, thought about doing it myself. If you don't need PCIs it's a great place to put the psu.

The bad :duh:
    Try not to use so much glue, Lshaped alu with nuts and bolts do the trick perfectly.
    Laminated wood doesn't help making straight cuts and as you have probably seen it breaks.

Mod on my friend, hope it kicks a** in the end.

One last thing, please don't sit on it. :miffed: