1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Overheating ADSL modems!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AdeTBun, 9 Mar 2005.

1. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

Got a bit of a strange query, has anybody else had a problem with ADSL modems/routers overheating and making their connection unstable? I have tested both a Zoom USB ADSL modem and a BT Voyager 250 (borrowed) router on my line and both overheated within a few hours connected to my line and then started continuously desyncing! If anybody else has had this problem what caused it and how did you fix it? I'm having to use a switched off radiator as a giant heatsink at the moment just to keep my connection stable! :wallbash:

Ade

2. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

My net dies about every 3 days and its annoying as well. I used to think it was down to overheating but I put it by the window and both the modems were cold and still no joy.

I have to turn them off at the plug and plug them back in every 3 days and its stupid

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you're getting overheating problems from two different modems then i'd say your line is a bit jiggered to be honest. My modems get warm, but they don't get too hot. I'd say that it's just the way things are around you because most people have to reset their connection every now and again. :thumb:

[edit] My connection's been up for 69 hours according to my router, so it proves that my connection does reset every now and again.

4. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

I thought my line was jiggered so I reported it to BT who informed me that my line was absolutely fine! lol. My friends down the street don't have the overheating problem either, in fact it's their router I borrowed to test it! I'm pretty sure they're overheatin, you can't normally burn your fingers on a modem can you? lol. I'm finding the cold radiator very effective at keeping the temps down on my modem! Water cooled modem anybody? pmsl. 69 hours? We're lucky if we make 12 hours! Week days it goes off at 15:30 and comes back on at 16:30 wether I restart or not! I'm begining to wonder if the school kids are playing with the exchange on their way home....... lol :duh:

Ade

5. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

Sorted this problem out now! Turned out to be 2 seperate problems really! 1) The Zoom USB modem supplied by my ISP turned out to have a virus in amongst the drivers provided and these installed themselves and then installed a dialer! 2) Our DECT phone was feeding electricity into the line!!!!

Problems now sorted and the connection is quite stable now! Phonline still rubbish though! lol

Ade

Tags: