1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Sanding and Polishing Metal : mirror finish?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Vio1, 13 Mar 2005.

1. Vio1

Vio1 What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    Are there any guides anywhere on how to go about sanding, polishing and buffing metal to a mirror finish? I dont know anyone to ask about these things, and i cant find any useful info on the net.

Anything would help. thnx

2. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

MAn... You gotta read the project logs!!!

Shiny silence....

This guy has done exactly what you are wanting...
    :thumb:

Dont drool on your keyboard!
    :naughty:

3. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

so how exactly did he do it? i read through the topic here and ont he other forum that someone linked

4. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

You basically need to do the following.

1. Strip the metal/aluminum of any paint(or anodization) with roughish grit sandpaper
    2. Work your way up sandpapers, using like, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000.. (wetsanding with the higher grit seems to help)
    3. Use some rubbing compound to finish it off, with either your bare hands or a buffer.. hell, just read the directions on the rubbing compound bottle :p

If you've done everything right, you'll see something similar to below:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

5. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

oo would it turn out better than chrome painting witha mirror finish? i was sanding some bondo down on my side panel and i cut through the paint and the bare metal is already kind of mirrory, not very shinny but ya i was just useing 220

6. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

You can also get the panels sandblasted to strip the anodising off. I did it with my Maze4 GPU block.

[​IMG]

From the sandblasters. I then wet and dry sanded using 800, 1000, 1200 and 1600 grit, once you reach the 1200+ mark you'll see the scratches start to go. You then simply get an abrasive polish such as Brasso or in this case Autosol and polish until you can't no more :p

[​IMG]

Result :hip:
    I'm sure coolmiester will be able to help you out alot more, i only did it on a very small scale compared to his Wavemaster :D

7. Vio1

Vio1 What's a Dremel?

After I sand the case down to lets say 2000grit.... do i clean it off before polishing? If so with what?

Then do I use the applicator bonnet that came with my buffer? I then apply polish to the bonnet? How long do I polish it like this? Till it drys?

Then do I clean the surface before buffing? With what? How long do I buff for?

8. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Once you've sanded down i'd wash the crap off with water and some detergent. Then get yourself some buffing attachments for your orbital sander etc. and polish until you get the finish you like. IIRC, coolmiester used Peek polish, it's like toothpaste apparantly.

9. Vio1

Vio1 What's a Dremel?

I have a buffer machine already... and I already purchased Peek polish.

10. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

ya do what mace said, i used 80, 220 and 300 somethin before 400 and i have scratch marks that wont go away after using rubbing compound, but its my fault since i used too low of a grit, but you cant see unless ure up close

heres my pics of the lil part i polished, too bad i cant do the whole case cuz i used bondo dammit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Machine

Machine What's a Dremel?

i wonder if that will work on steel, i was planning on chrome a case, pheraps i should try to polish it. :confused:

12. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

that is steel, thick steel too

it works

13. Vio1

Vio1 What's a Dremel?

Okay, i am purchasing a 4" sander polisher... i need your help... which of the following accessories should I purchase?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

Not recommended if you're going for that mirror finish. Although it might be nice to use that to get past a lot of scratches and paint, hand sanding seems to work a lot better. I'd advise getting a sanding block too. The only trick to a mirror finish on metal, is elbow grease. :thumb:

15. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Resize your Pictures dammit! *TOO HYUUGE* Heck, just a link to them would do..

- H.

PS: I suffer from 56k.

Tags: