1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I could, but that would be lot/lots of work and clearance for the side panel comes into play. The Velcro blends in with the unused MB mounting holes. You can only see one small Velcro pad in the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    All the rest are the unused MB mounts. If I squared it off a little more, you would not see it all. :thumb:
    ManOMan, started a new page! the (5) original pictures are a page back..
    Please remember, this is the (back-side) of the machine. The DEAD side!! :thumb:

Last edited: 16 Sep 2008
  2. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Alternatively, you could treat your red acrylic to some mirroring like in my project, it's a nice effect and hides everything behind it. :naughty:

3. modsquad

Xarig, You have a nice project cooking (I posted saying so). I like opacity of the red acrylic plates!! Computers have wires and holes.. Remember, this is the back-side (dead-side) of the machine. I am happy with the look. :thumb:

Last edited: 13 Mar 2005
  4. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

!!

mod mate, can we see abit more of a 'flat on' picture showing the PSU area + the back, I was just interested in how you wired it all!
    Basically take a pic thats side on, not looking down on the case please!

5. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

how about red acrylic with mirror foil...

6. Razor_cut

Razor_cut What's a Dremel?

Will you put a window on the back pannel of the chassi two? It would look cozie :)

The nice darkred and the alublack makes a great match :thumb:

7. mafia11671

mafia11671 What's a Dremel?

The acrylic on the back of the mobo tray looks good. I think you are right about the mirror on the bottom. I was looking at it, and thought a piece going from the harddrive rack to the back piece would look pretty good also. The angle would be similar to the angle of the divider piece on the bottom, just rotated 90d.
    Mod ON!! :rock:
    Mafia

8. Shinymod

Shinymod What's a Dremel?

awesome. I love the WC, it's beautifully neat, and the pump is gorgeous :thumb:

9. modsquad

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    unrealhippie: The wiring on the bottom of the case is not finished ( as a matter of fact none of the wiring is finished). I first wanted to get a fairly clean look in the area above the divider plate. Keeping the wires high in the case and off the divider plate (this area).
    [​IMG]
    I will focus my attention on the area in question soon.

Razor_Cut:
    I never thought about acrylic out-back, but thats a good idea. :thumb:

Mafia:
    I am not sure about the mirrored acrylic, I will have to make up a panel and see. That is also another issue. My acrylic supplier only has the mirrored stuff in precut lenghts of 16" which is not long enough to cover the bottom area (the case is about 19" deep). I need to email him and see if he can custom cut something longer for me.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2008
  10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Wow, I somehow missed this update :jawdrop: Don't I feel silly.... me checking this compulsively and whatnot. Regardless, the acrylic looks just great and is one of those oh-so-important touches that you just wouldn't think to do unless it's in an acrylic case.

The top seems to need more now.... it looks so plain! Maybe replacing the stock clear acrylic circle in the inno. res with a RED one :thumb: Of course getting a perfect circle out of acrylic is quite tricky, and then getting the six holes in the right place on top of that :duh: Or maybe a top red (maybe even etched) window towards the back end :naughty:

11. modsquad

- A red acrylic replacement for the Innovatek Reservoir's clear fill-plate is a great idea (Innovatek and Aqua-Computer should both make such a item). It would be tuff to make and I don't have a source for the 5mm thick acrylic Innovatek uses for that plate, but something to think about. Thats for sure..Thanks :thumb:
    I spent the better part of the day playing with those Laser LED units. I am no wiring expert--thats for sure, but when I add 20" of 22AWG wire to them they don't like it and heat-up and die. The resistor's used by SunBeam is my guess, or it's something I am overlooking..any feedback would be appreciated. I may be better off making-up long single Molex extention cables (as the units work great with there stock 12" leads)...It's always something--this is way it's taking me soo long to finish this project..

Last edited: 14 Mar 2005
  12. mafia11671

mafia11671 What's a Dremel?

13. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Just wish I had the time to work on my project :sigh:

Take your point about the mirror finish. I've got stacks of the foil (only sold it in large sheets!) I'm not sure where Slaughterhouse 5 is :worried: but if you'd like me to stick some in the post just give me contact details and how much you need to experiment and I'll post it to you.

My way of thanking you for the inspiration you've given me :thumb:

14. Tanaban

Tanaban What's a Dremel?

Random but interesting... This project nearly has a quarter million views... its ranked #3 in views in the project forum and #2 in replies... :eek:

So much to make perfection.

15. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

Ok, just one thing, I think it is fine as it is because you wont have a clear window which you will be able to look straight through, so doesn't it look neat enough for when you cant see it?

16. modsquad

Thanks Xarig. You saying my project was inspiration for yours is thanks enough. I am in the States, so shipping would be a problem. But thanks just the same..

17. modsquad

The replies are what is cool. That is lots of feedback, questions and answers. That is the reason I started this project in the first place. :thumb:

Last edited: 16 Mar 2005
  18. Firehed

I know adding more thin wire increases the resistance of the entire circuit but that shouldn't cause the resistors to heat up I don't think, unless it's screwing with the load in an unpredictable way. Which is why they send power over the lines in a voltage much higher than what's in the home - it's less subject to the effect of the long wiring. It may be just 220v or something, I don't remember, but I know that's why.

In any case, the molex extension would probably work better since it's 18awg instead of 22awg and shouldn't screw that up as much. You could try and check the resistors with a DMM. They're probably 1/4watt, you could try replacing them with 1/2 watt variants if a molex extension doesn't work. I should keep that in mind when I do my *ahem* fan/light controlling setup.

For the acrylic, you could probably just do two layers of red. Assuming what you have is 1/8" it would be about 6.35mm which is a hair thick, but if you could get a layer of 1/16" clear (or red) and 1/8" red on top you're at 4.7625mm thick which is fairly close.

Or just try and get your hands on 5mm red :D Or maybe even soak the clear thing in red dye... it may work. I filled some 1/4"NPT plugs with epoxy (don't ask) and that sucked up the dye (food dye) in the water pretty quickly. Whatever you want, I'm just throwing out ideas as they come to my head.

Yeah getting replies in a log really does make the project that much more satisfying. I'm glad I finally started my log, and I'm sure most that have posted logs here would agree :D It's amazing how much attention this has gotten :jawdrop: :thumb:

Started: Jun 28 04
    Today: Mar 15 05
    Just under nine months... how appropriate, I'm sure this thing is/will be like a son to you :hehe:

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

'hed - 1/4 Inch is 6.35 MM

20. Firehed

I know, I said (or implied) 2 1/8" layers to be 6.35mm, and of course 2/8=1/4.