1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US scientists may have created a black hole

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dad, 17 Mar 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

From the BBC:

A fireball created in a US particle accelerator has the characteristics of a black hole, a physicist has said.

It was generated at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) in New York, US, which smashes beams of gold nuclei together at near light speeds.

Horatiu Nastase says his calculations show that the core of the fireball has a striking similarity to a black hole.

His work has been published on the pre-print website arxiv.org and is reported in New Scientist magazine.

When the gold nuclei smash into each other they are broken down into particles called quarks and gluons.

These form a ball of plasma about 300 times hotter than the surface of the Sun. This fireball, which lasts just 10 million, billion, billionths of a second, can be detected because it absorbs jets of particles produced by the beam collisions.

But Nastase, of Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, says there is something unusual about it.

Ten times as many jets were being absorbed by the fireball as were predicted by calculations.

The Brown researcher thinks the particles are disappearing into the fireball's core and reappearing as thermal radiation, just as matter is thought to fall into a black hole and come out as "Hawking" radiation.

However, even if the ball of plasma is a black hole, it is not thought to pose a threat. At these energies and distances, gravity is not the dominant force in a black hole.

That's the whole artice. However, if you subscribe to New Scientist, there is a more in depth article over there.

Damn, imagine if they are able to create a stable one! Could Stargate SG-1 become reality in the future, but with US creating the gate network instead of the Ancients? ;)

2. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

why does it have to be the US?
    there are other 'powers' in the world too.

3. emesdee

emesdee What's a Dremel?

Errr, I think he meant US as in us as a species.

That would rock, except we'd need a way to get the gates there in the first place :wallbash:

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Thought???? So they might not be 100% sure then, we could be sucked up in a hole, arrrrgggghhhhh...

Nice to know that humans can create their own black hole!

5. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

You know my physics teacher always gets pissed off at people asking about black holes... He always tells them to take down their pants, turn 180 degrees and then look in the mirror :eek:

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

We have a sex offenders register here for a reason :worried:

<A88>

7. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

You're joking right?

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

i LOVE to point this out. Its a black hole they created, not a wormhole. There completele differant things (except both there names have the word hole in it!).

However, i suppose if blackhole could be created, singularitys also could be created. This means we might have something dense enough to create a wormhole with! But if ever we did it may knock the earth out of rotation of the sun and we would suffer a horrible, horrible death!

9. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

You have all seen Event Horizon right?
    :eeek:

10. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

:sigh: The article is about US scientists, Stargate SG-1 is about a US military unit. Maybe I wasn't 100% politically correct, but I ment everyone in general.

Yea, I know there's a difference - it's just a fun thing to think about.

"c-ya tonight honey, I'm off to Alpha Centauri for that job interview!" :D

11. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

This is really awesome.

It has implications for "waste-management" but I worry that they would use it to destroy things necessary to the environment or whatever.

12. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

A black hole is a singularity! :duh:

13. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

Military application would go way farther, if they find a way to make the hole last for longer.

14. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

your forgetting that they only know how to OPEN a black hole. For them to be able to close it on their own if the gravitatonal force becomes dominant is another matter. How do you do such a thing.

For any real application it would seem gravity needs to be dominant, and if we ever create a black hole where it is, imo, its likely eventually we will all get sucked in.

15. Xenred

Xenred What's a Dremel?

Haha Humanitys Goin to far into Reasearch and i bet you all a million quid,
    if they get it stable and lasting longer, the world will be engulfed bit by bit :D :p :lol:

16. KelticFox

KelticFox What's a Dremel?

I didn't even know there was a collider in NY.

Question:
    How do you propel a ion??? It has no charge. I know the LHC in Geneva propels electrons by the means of computer contolled electro-magnetics (to a speed of 180,000 miles/sec), at which they collide.

A point however isnt smashing particles akin to a caveman smashing a clock to see how it works??? :confused:

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

lol i saw the title and immediately thought of the "black hole trying to suck the earth through the gate" ep :D

18. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Hehe. You remind me of a certain book I'm currently reading. That exact analogy is used in it. And yes and ion does have a charge. That's part of it's definition. ;)

19. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

The difference between and ion and an atom is that an ion is charged and an atom isn't :hip:

20. Wesker

Wesker What's a Dremel?

Well this seems like a mix of good and bad, good is that we can learn alot more about black holes, bad is that techically a black hole the size of a quarter could destroy the earth :worried: