1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Rogue 5 :>o<: Back from dead w/mess o' pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bandit_zoraK, 17 Feb 2005.

1. (X)TORNADO(X)

(X)TORNADO(X) What's a Dremel?

Wonderful, keep on going... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I think the lcd looks awsome where it is. And the shape should be kept more or less the same, maybe a lil shaprer angle on the lcd as that would give it a starship cockpit look when closed. Oh im assuming that you are going to have a flip up kind of lcd. But I would sugest making the lcd face up and puting it behind a pice of plexiglass making it show always and when off it would look like the cockpit has been tinted.

Sorry for my rant but you wnated opinions and I offered.

Keep us updated I rather like this project.

3. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

No need to apologize- that is exactly the type of input I was looking for so thanks. The lcd is basically the same as a ps1 lcd, but it is el cheapo ebay dvd so I will mount it in the center of the main sloped face, like you said.

I went ahead and fabbed one out of alum, and did kind of a bad job and I don't really like the shape- I will get a pic or two up soon. I think rather that having the sides orthagonal to the top of the case I will flare them out all the way to the edge so it looks a little sleeker than it does now.

Mockup of how it is now:
    [​IMG]

How I think I will redo it (more diamond shaped like that window on the 1st page of this thread):
    [​IMG]

Let me know!

4. jaguarking11

Awsome. Just exactly what I had in mind. And I would make the dimond shape as wide as the case itself. Also you may want a riveted look or some hex bolts round the lcd and the edges of the cockpit.

Keep up the gr8 work and keep us updated.

5. Devil_909

Devil_909 What's a Dremel?

I really like the new mock up of the LCD holder. Looks much better

6. Bandit_zoraK

Rivets eh? Way ahead of you...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the first version I made. Definetly gonna go with the diamond shape next time around. I will probably make it a little shorter and narrower at the front and back as well.

Oh yeah- I discovered tin snips don't make the cleanest cuts on thin sheet aluminum...

7. Bandit_zoraK

Right side done

I am still working on the lcd mount for the top, I've got most of the piece cut, just got to fit them together and rivet. I did finish up the right side panel though...

You'll recall this was where we left it...
    [​IMG]

I kind of got caught up in the modding so I forgot to take process pictures :duh: but besides a different window, the process was exactly the same as the other side. So here's some finished shots of the panel. Enjoy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you made it through those... I think I came pretty close to what I set out to do....
    [​IMG]
    vs.
    [​IMG]

As with the left side panel, I've drilled holes for the windows whenever I get those and will probably be using those fancy hex screws (round with the alan wrench socket in the middle) to attach the windows.

Whaddyall think?

8. Drackhon

Drackhon What's a Dremel?

Good window with a good paint.

Drackhon!!!!

9. Bandit_zoraK

Thanks sir, I appreciate it. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

10. omicron

omicron Baud.

Keep up the good work monsieur - I am subscribed. :jawdrop:

11. Bandit_zoraK

I have pretty much finished the lcd mount. It still needs some finishing treatment, but most of the work is done. I went with pretty much the inverse shape as I planned to above, because from a width standpoint, this way makes a lot more sense. The thing stands about 2.5" tall and is about 9.5" deep and about is wide as the case (~7.5").

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Expect more in the coming days! And don't forget to comment!

12. jaguarking11

Looks good. Have you thought about framing the edges of the lcd case with aluminum L? And I would use aluminum L all over the case to give it that riveted look.

13. Maximus

Maximus What's a Dremel?

Very nice, I like the battle scared paint job very nice looking, and the window is very nice as well. Can't wait to see the finished project. Keep it up.

14. Bandit_zoraK

I thought about using that or something else to cover the edges cause they look pretty sloppy, but it is not a 90 angle where the two pieces meet, maybe they make some >90 stuff? I will look around ace today (need to go anyways) and see what they got.

15. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

funny looks:D

16. ginx

ginx What's a Dremel?

I'm not a star wars fan myself, but this case is awesome. I you're cutting skills are incredible. The paint scheme is cool too, I like that red and white. Good luck with the rest. :rock:

17. jaguarking11

YOu could also buy some aluminum strips and fasen em to the edges and make em look like an l shaped alu pice.

18. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

looking very cool as normal. keep it up, i want to see this one done!

19. Bandit_zoraK

I decided against any other additions to the lcd mount, and I painted it and did the whole battle damage thing on it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The yellow stripes on the front were done to resemble the yellow stripes on his helmet:
    [​IMG]

They didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but it was krylon and the paint kept seeping through the tape, etc, but I am happy with it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can tell that I mounted a piece of plexi for the window, and used some inside-hex bolts to secure it.
    [​IMG]

This stuff on the back is unfinished, I basically made up a led chaser ckt and arranged them randomly, with the idea that the somewhat randomness of it is like the computer communicating w/r2 @ high speed (end /swgeek)
    [​IMG]

Parting shot
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned. Same mod time, same mod channel.

20. dubya01

dubya01 What's a Dremel?

Friggin awesome - Maybe you could put some tinted acrylic on top of the lcd to make it look more like a cockpit.