1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow!!!!11 posts in Project Logs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by cpemma, 16 Mar 2005.

?

Well?

1. Fantastic!!!!!

55.8%
  2. Amazing!!!!

4.7%
  3. Wow!!!

7.0%
  4. Great!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. OK!

14.0%
  6. I'd sooner spam the thread

18.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Seen a lot of comments about the vast number of short, just congratulatory, posts in Project Logs that really just clutter the thread up.

To keep the ability to give the author full credit where it's due, how about a Public Poll on each Log, marks on a scale of 5 ranging from ! to !!!!! ?

With Public Polls, your nick shows with your scoring, so your impression is publicly made and recognised by the Log author. Mods could then delete any other Wow! postings that don't contribute to the Log, keeping it cleaner to follow.

edit: Public Poll added for demo. Click in the 'Number of Votes' to see names.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2005
  2. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Would be incredibly useful...I'm all for it.

In fact, !!!!! for this idea! :hehe:

3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Great, it's about time, lots of random posts can make it hard to follow a good log. :thumb:

4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Excellent idea.

I absolutely hate posts saying, wow, great, whatever ....

Although I may have made a few such in the past.

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

So basically it's just a matter of making the current star-rating system public?

<A88>

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Theres already a thread rating system, which in project logs sort of serves the same purpose as your suggestion, just that no-one seems to use it.

7. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

I'm guessing this would be much more obvious so it would encourage people who haven't noticed it in the past to start using it.

8. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I don't see the point. Who would use it and not give a rating of 5 stars? I agree there's usually far too much clutter in the project logs but people might feel a bit cheated if they can only express a generic "Brilliant" opinion. Idealy there should be should be some way of separating comments and questions from the thread's author's posts. But unless we change the way the forum works I don't see how that will happen.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

I like the idea. I'll stray away from the project logs most of the time, simply because I don't like wading through the "omg t3h 1337!!!!11oneone" posts. Although, I can see how adding a personal "great job" has a bit more flair than simply clicking a radio button and hitting "submit". Like Dex said, ideally there would be a way to sort the actual project posts from the member posts, but meh...

10. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

dont like this idea at all tbh. it seems like the longer people are in forums the more upset they get when the forum gets posts. you start seeing "use the search" things popping up all over and threads getting deleted for redundancy. now this. its sort of funny how youre in a public forum but people are trying to make it have less discussion. just my opinion. ...maybe a little rant in there too about forums :p

11. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

My idea would be to create a hack that creates a button in each thread titled, "author only" for someone to click. When clicked the thread will only show posts by the author and no one elses. Therefore taking out everything but the log itself and replies the author made to others.

Sure the one part that would be kind of confusing would be when the author replied to a post you are not seeing, but I think it would be obvious that thats what it is.

12. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

this is exactly what i'd suggest. it's nice for the author to get some feedback. the "zomgz u am 1337!!" posts are only good for ego boosts i guess, but sometimes people posting in logs ask genuinely useful questions and make good suggestions. stopping them from posting in the threads would be a mistake.

a 'view posts by thread starter only' button could be useful for those people who want to view the log alone without all the crap. if you want to read it in its entirety, to catch all the questions and suggestions, the option is still there.

alternatively, you could make mirror threads. somehow set up a subforum for logs where only the op can post in their threads. have a seperate log discussion subforum where the modders worklog posts are automagickally added to a mirror thread. the discussion mirror would be open access to all and people could spout their buttkisseyness there. this way, if you want to read just the log, go to the log forum. if you want to wade through the crap incase you miss something, go to the log discussion forum.

thing is, i doubt either option would be as simple as simply locking threads to op only posts. shame, as the rating system would only really be used for 1's or 5's, and sometimes through all the masses of crap that gets posted in logs someone will turn around and say something genuinely useful...

edit: ok, i should stop posting late at night, i just cant concentrate :worried: after re-reading the initial suggestion, i think i might agree with your suggestion cpemma. so long as the mods would only remove the "OMG WOW!" posts, and leave the useful ones intact then this would be a great suggestion.

some posts asking questions etc actually improve a log. if the useless posts get removed and a score system is in place the author still gets his ego strokeage and can feel suitably smug... go for it :thumb:

Last edited: 17 Mar 2005
  13. Tim S

Tim S OG

We are, and have already been, looking in to this as something for the future.

14. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

ok i like the !!!! meter thing i guess, but should have possibly a ? as an option also.

sometimes, a project log can be in need of a question mark. not as rude as a "hey dood - youre the 9.34x10-billionth person to do this exact same thing" or a "*@#$ you suck" ...

or sometimes you get confused as to why someone would do what it is they are doing to a bit of something -

15. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

I just made a thread about something the same.

the best would be a button/filter that only showed the authors posts. Or maby even just the authors posts with images in them. comments are nice' but looking through 3 pages of just "good job" to find the next update really sucks.

16. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

What's wrong with the already existing, thread rating system? Although I admit, graphically it isn't really that noticable.

17. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Someone mentioned mods cleaning up the logs, but with the amount of threads in PL, would it not be easier to let the thread starter moderate their own thread, deleting all the "spammy" posts and leaving all the relevant, "hammy" posts? I know that some people would abuse such a system, deleting every negative post, or editing it to say "Brilliant!!!!!!111!!111111111oneonetwooooo", but I think that it might work. Perhaps you could trial it for a couple of weeks, to see if it would work? Anyway, thats just my two cents, the "show only posts by thread author" mod would probibly be better.

_C

18. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

19. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

wow, awesome!
    :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :hip: :eeek: :eeek: :hip: :rock: :rock: :rock: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

20. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to the :dremel: of the forum.

wowowowowo:::: 100 posts <- amazing work. n0w i is t3h 1337 poster... :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :clap: :jawdrop: :thumb: :thumb: :dremel: :dremel:

I love the smell of irony in the morning...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.