1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is getting old

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by celticsaberist, 23 Mar 2005.

1. celticsaberist

celticsaberist What's a Dremel?

had an AMD Athlon XP 2800 + processor on a nforce 2 mobo with a stick of pc 2700 512MB DDR Ram, an eVGA Geforce 6800 Ultra 256 MB G3 DDR, a 40 gig Western Digital HD and a Quantum Fireball 30 Gig that came with my compaq presario 5000. ( I salvaged the first harddrive that I ever got). I have a 500 Watt PS and 7 fans all together in my case. The card was returned to the vender and replaced with a new one because of hardware issues. I purchased a AMD 64 Athlon 3700+ with a Triton nforce 3 250 mobo. The replacement 6800 Ultra was installed only on the new mobo. Everything has been hooked up and now I have a system with: AMD64 Athlon 3700+ (2.4Ghz 1600Mhz fsb I have not Overclocked it and the cpu core frequency is set at 200Mhz), an nforce3 250b mobo designed for the 3700+ processor, 1 stick of 512 MB 333Mhz pc2700 DDR Ram, an eVGA geForce 6800 Ultra 256 MB G3 DDR GPU, a 500 Watt PS, 70 Gigs of Harddrive space (on a 30 slave and a 40 master), originaly running 2000 Professional upgraded to XP professional, upgraded to XP 64-bit, and back to 32-bit XP. Direct X 9.0c installed.
    The preface is to give some insight into the system's components for reference.
    I first installed a Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault on my 2800+ machine and the demo worked fine, however the full version (purchased) would show a grey screen at certain times in the game. On my new system, the game will run all the way up to character choosing and then the entire computer shuts off.
    The same problem occurs when running Mad Onion's 3D Mark software on my new system, it makes it past the first run in 3d Mark 2001 with the truck game (420+ fps) and then the system cuts off and when I try to restart, no display will come up on the monitor until I turn off the powersupply and turn it back on.
    Please help!!!
    -Geoff

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Who makes your particular PSU? Rated Wattage means nothing if the brand name is ****. Other than that, I cant think of anything at the moment.

On a side note, you'll definitely want to be upgrading your RAM count to 1 gigabyte of PC 3200 to improve performance drastically ;)

3. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

Holey shat man.......I would think you would have some serious OS problems with all that upgrading from one version to the other then back again......clean install then see what happens. Piling crap ontop of crap still means you have crap in the end.

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Clean install of os just for common sense measures is definitely a good place to start. Then install the newest drivers for the graphics card.

As well, you REALLY need to look at upping your ram. With that sort of system, your ram is probably a horrible bottleneck. Not to mention you list no brand, which can also be problematic.

The PSU is also possibly the problem, but with the other issues, I wouldn't say definitively. Since you already returned a card to the vendor, there's a chance you're just not getting enough juice to it. Is the card being fed from a dedicated line, or is it split to power fans and stuff? That can be a huge problem, where the game suddenly gets very graphically intense, the card spikes the PSU line wanting power, and the PSU shuts off for safety because there's too much current going along the line.

Make sure you're running just a single molex straight to the card, and if that doesn't solve it, time to look at a better brand PSU.

5. Necrosis

Necrosis What's a Dremel?

I see a problem right now you're running PC2700 in a PC3200 system. What speed is your ram actually running at?

6. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

True that the system will run slower from that, but it shouldnt crap out unless those ram sticks are defective.

Another vote that its the PSU not putting out juice.

7. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Yeah, the PSU is obviously f**king up. Gat a nice Antec and throw it in there. Reinstall the OS and you'll be gravy