1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Redwood 3.0 -by ZapWizard -Jan 15th '05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 19 Mar 2005.

1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Yes, they will be filed down a bit and sanded.

I have all four case feet completed.
    Next up is a mounting bracket for the Radiator.

2. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

WTF Does this have to do with anything?!

Those case Feet look really sweet, how did ya make them all together (I.E. How about a mini Project Log on making the feet! :))

3. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

well... you see how hes banned now...

yeah... (sorry for sarcasm)

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

This is correct. "Pah-duke" might be a little more correct, but huked on faunix worked for me.

Btw, I am really enjoying the slightly retro look. I think that the softer lines make a much nicer case then the squares we are used to seeing. If computers are really becoming so central to our lives, then at least we should make them look like they belong, rather then stuffing them under desks. I wouldn't be ashamed to have this in my living room.

5. ZapWizard

Doh, well they are all glued now.
    I designed a cut-out using TS3 and measured the dimensions of a 3mm LED.
    The acrylic is laser cut, but could be done with a dremel just the same.
    I cut out areas for the LEDs to sit in the 1/4" acrylic.
    I cut out the lucite disks, which make the top and bottom, and glued the bottom disk to the 1/4" using two-part epoxy.
    The LEDs were then carefully wired and installed into the foot .
    The LEDs are wired with three in series, and three sets of those in parallel.
    +12volts---Resistor---LED-LED-LED-GND
    A single 100ohm resistor limits current to all three sets, and is installed inside the foot . (It's crampt)
    I cut a hole in the rubber stopper using an exact-knife, and feed the audio cable I will be using for power into the hole and out the top.
    I put the bottom rubber washer on the rubber stopper, and then the glued part of the foot.
    I then solder the audio cable to the GND, and Resistor inside the foot .
    I make sure that no wires inside the foot are touching, and test it on a power supply.
    If it lights, I fill the entire foot with hot-glue to keep the wires inplace.
    Then I install the top lucite disk, and rubber washer.
    Finaly I wire the other end of the audio cable to a normal fan header.

6. woodjamin

woodjamin What's a Dremel?

man i must say this is come classic work you have here. i have thought of making a wood case but out of oak. this paduk looks great.

7. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

This just came into my mind:
    As you are doing the case from exotic wood.
    Have you tought about the one very fact, that paduk, being an exotic wood, will turn more greyish or completly grey over time.
    But to be honest, I'm not really sure if they do that only when they are exposed to weather, ie. left outside.

8. ZapWizard

Paduke turns darker red, then dark purple over time. That is if it left un-treated/oiled to the elements. I will be finishing the piece with laquer, so it should stay orange/red.
    (The edges of my un-cut wood are purple)

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/padauk.htm
    http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/padauk/padauk, aged s50 q60 plh.jpg

9. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

That's good then, because it would a a shame to see such a gorgeus case to lose its looks.

10. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Dang - 1 upped again with the qprox products. :sigh:

Subscribed :rock:

11. TCEuk

TCEuk What's a Dremel?

:eeek: I love the peripherals, especially the monitor with the lazer burned in icon things... hmmm once your finished with this, you wouldn't want to make me a mouse mat would you :D .

Can't wait to see the finished mouse and the next update on the case.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :rock: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

12. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

I was thinking about the whole mouse issue... if a 3d prototyping printer could help out, lemme know. I'm having a brainfart that maybe you could make a mold of the shell of the mouse and then fill it with the sawdust mixed with resin. then you'd have a sorta wood mouse, and you could customize the model to be more conducive to applying the verneer.

13. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

3D Veneer

Hi ZAP,

I was wondering if you found out anything about the 3D veneer you mentioned in your design thread? that would probably take care of any problems with the mouse.

14. gokalper

gokalper What's a Dremel?

Where can i get nice Screws

Hey Zap , where can i find nice polished screws..for mounting acrylic on my shuttle..the ones you used in your amd 64 mod are nice. however having dificulty finding a hardware store thats sells them.

Also how do you cut your acrylic, i tend to crack mine. Any pointers. Even when i try to drill holes it cracks. I have a 1/8 inch thick sheet of plexi. Any help is appreciated...

I have also decided to woodenize my shuttle. I am using a 1/8 inch hard wood. The type i decided is Gaboon Ebony. Lets see how it turns out.. i hope my blades dont dull too much.

I also recently quit on making a veneer onto my mx1000 which is now ruined...my neighbor is a wood crafstman he was like: you need to use small thin strips but then it will peel easy. He recomended a softer wood rather than rosewood. but he said the angles on it are too hard. you have to get it cut specifically from a block of hard wood..Long process... Even if we had managed to get it with the veneer, the angle on the mx1000 would eventually make the wood peel, or deform. So i just painted mine.... I am going to try to put veneer on my mx700 that should work...

I hope to have my project done by next weekend but i always mess stuff up so hopefully ill get some pictures in by then... and get my project into the project logs..

Good luck with your mod, err custom built pc. Im sure it'll be fantastic. you never seem to disapoint :clap:

15. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Hey zap god to see one of the greatest in texas back to work on such a fine project i really love all the work done so far i will be following this thread for more updates i wish you hadent said anything aboiut where i could get that "dial" because now its just another thing i have added to my "to buy" list of many gadgets that i cant buy and such well i love everything so far can you do us up a sample scrap of wood with the finished stains or lacquer and such that you going to put on it so we can get an idea of the finishe dproduct

16. ZapWizard

Unfortunently 3D Veneer is not available in Paduke, I may buy some and stain it though. The mouse is on hold for a bit until I get some other stuff done on the project.

For the screws on the ATI PC they are from Home Depot (In their drawere bins, not the plastic packages) I polished them by hand, they come with a semi-polished surface.
    Most my acrylic is laser cut, but I also use a jig-saw and dremel. I use plastic specific cutting bits for both, slow and steady is the way to prevent cracks.
    Good luck on your wood shuttle.

Thanks. I will probably start a whole seperate project log in the electronics forums for the dial, as it will take some time.

------------------
    Text update:
    Not much got done this week. I am taking Redwood Version 1.0 to an event at the UT Campus on the 30th. And I had to actualy fix it back up as I gutted the parts. I also had to do some clean-up and restoration on the ATI PC before shipping it back to ATI.

I did get my USB to RS232 Chip for the QWheel, I will interface it to a microcontroller. (Motorolla 68HC11) I learned how to program this chip years ago in school, but I may be rusty. I might fall back on a easier Basic Micro (Basic stamp compatible) which is easier to program.

17. mondriaan

mondriaan What's a Dremel?

18. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: I envy your skill

19. mrpete

mrpete What's a Dremel?

Nice idea :)

20. th3madc0w

th3madc0w What's a Dremel?

great job on this mod, it's looking fantastic. is there any chance you will make it to the million man lan in june ( www.lanwar.com ) with this? i would love to see it in person.