1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Linux on a p3 laptop, w/o a cd drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by arrowswake, 26 Mar 2005.

1. arrowswake

arrowswake What's a Dremel?

I just went back home, and found an old pentium 3 IBM thinkpad laptop, with 128mb ram. It's in working condition, but it just has a floppy drive, because I can't find the CD drive for it.

I'd love to put linux on this, just to use for openoffice, some music, aim, and web surfing. What distro would be good to use, on a computer that isn't quite up to date? In addition, what wm should I use? Would KDE or Gnome run well on this?

And finally, how would I go about actually installing it? Is it possible to do a network install or something (I have no idea how that works, but I'd be up to learning if it would work). I'm not looking for a distro that fits on a floppy, but if I could network install it from a floppy or something, that would work. I COULD get my hands on a USB cd-rom drive, just for the installation, but I couldn't do that until next week sometime, and I'd like to get this done asap.

Ideas? Suggestions?

2. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Various distros have a network install option, notably Debian; though I've never used it so can't say how easy it is.

As far as win managers go you could probably get away with KDE or Gnome but I would use something a little more lighweight, like Fluxbox myself (I use fluxbox on my Centrino laptop, purely because it is so fast).

3. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I'd suggest slackware, since I know it the most. I know there is some way to do a network install. and yes, you'd use a floppy. download the root disks, and have a read up on the install, and what not. don't have time to explain too much more now. might have some time tomorow, as its a day off :)

and I would suggest gnome for that lappy. Runs nicer imo. (esp. on older machines).

4. arrowswake

Looks like it's gonna be Debian with the network install, and I'll try fluxbox, since I tried bb4win, and it's basically the same thing, and I loved it.

I just hope that everything works fine on the pentium 3, 450mhz, 128 ram, 5gb hard drive lappy, heh.

edit: How do I go about installing fluxbox? For bb4win, you just install windows, and then install it over explorer. Should I install kde, as it says it has full support for that, and then install over that? Or how else could I go about doing it?

5. arrowswake

Actually, I just found the CD-ROM drive. Now that I don't need the network install option, what would be the best distro, to use fluxbox with, that would run quickly, just for openoffice, instant messaging, and websurfing, maybe some fooling around in linux?

6. Go4t

Go4t i

gentoo stage1
    it can be a hassle but its a great distro

7. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

Ive got Ubuntu 4.10 on my Thinkpad x24 and i works like a charm. It install in 30 minites and updates automaticly from the internet. It picked up my wifi automaticly. :eeek:

On a side note i would used the afor mention Fluxbox.

Also as a clinching argument it using APT and Synaptic GUI front end.

I dont think Gentoo and Slackware is a valid starter distro, yes its fast and good once its running but im not willing to leave my laptop running 24 hours at 100% to compile from source :eeek:

8. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

9. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Slightly off topic, but is a P3 700 with i think 128mb ram (old acer laptop) good enough to run linux with a proper GUI (im not into all the command line stuff). I'd just use it for web browsing and msn. I already have SuSe 9.1 and i was thinkin of putting it on there.

10. Go4t

Go4t i

it should run just fine, might not multitask very well but with just web/im there shouldnt be any problems

11. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Thanks, I might use it to play a few mp3s. That be OK?
    If i can get it, I might see if I can buy another stick of RAM for it, as it's upgradeable. I think that would help a bit, right?

12. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

If your laptop is *just* going to be a MP3 jukebox, then 128mb of ram will be fine.

13. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

It doesnt really matter too much, it's more for the web browsing and msn, so im not stuck at my desk all the time. Thanks guys.

14. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

I'd recommend Ubuntu. its the bees knees.

15. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

Damn straight

btw just updated to 5.04 still just a stable but with gnome 2.10 goodness

16. centered effect

centered effect What's a Dremel?

For that system I would still do a Debian netinstall, the cd is only 100 something MB and you can choose what you need, Ubuntu installs the base Ubuntu system, which is alot if resources are limited.

Tags: