1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best email client

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kodiak, 25 Mar 2005.

1. Kodiak

Kodiak What's a Dremel?

Just as the title. Best email client.

2. a9on87

a9on87 ...

I use Outlook, but don't know whether that's the best - it does all I want it to do so that's why I use it!

3. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I use Thunderbird, the reason? Complements FireFox nicely. Nowt wrong with Outlook though either in my opinion.

4. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I use Outlook 2003 - never had a problem with it hence never needed to try out anything else, does everything I need it too also.

I did use Outlook Express in the past and that sucked.
    Also, not mentioning where but a place I worked at used Pegasus...:jawdrop:

Last edited: 25 Mar 2005
  5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Since moving over to Firefox (no going back now) I also installed Thunderbird which is a very decent client, very easy top set up multiple inboxes for each email address.
    That was about the only option that swayed me away from Outlook 2003, infact I'm 50-50 on staying with Thunderbird or going back to Outlook 2003.

6. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

I use thunderbird, for lots of reasons. Mainly i save my self 200mb of ram, because it doesnt have to load win word.

- S

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Thought Outlook only done that when composing an email?

8. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Pure email client - Thunderbird wins, compared to Outlook Express its just amazing. Ive got over 1000emails in various foldres (never deleted any since installed it :D) And its coping fine. OE express would take 1/2 hour or something stupid if it had to load that many emails.

Outlook is a "organisational" package, so does much more than Thunderbird. I wouldnt use Outlook just for email, seems a waste.

9. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Thunderbird for me

10. GMan

GMan Minimodder

No, WinWord is loaded when Outlook is started if it is selected as your mail editor. You can always turn it off under options.

I use Thunderbird for my personal email accounts - Upgraded from Netscape, which I had used for years upon years. The upgrade was painless and effortless - I just clicked a couple of times. I also have Outlook/Exchange accounts for 6 different businesses. Outlook is good in a business environment and a lot of my friends use it for personal email as well. I don't care for it myself, it's too much software for just email.

11. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I use Outlook Express - tried Outlook 2003, but it was bloated with features I would never use (calendar for example).

Just installed Thunderbird, as a few have mentioned it here, but it doesn't seem to have support for hotmail accounts, whereas OE syncs with my hotmail just fine. So looks like I'm sticking with Outlook Express for some time to come.

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Can't see why, I've used OE for years with no trouble. May not suit multi-users so well as Outlook, etc, but fine for single users.

OE Quotefix does help if you use Newsgroups. ;)

13. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

It just kept on crashing, plus it was really, really slow.

That and I have 5 different accounts, that probably messes it up a bit.

Interesting what yodasarmpit mentioned, the fact you can have multiple inboxes with Thunderbird, I may have to check it out now, not liking the non Hotmail support though if its true :(

14. Kodiak

Kodiak What's a Dremel?

I like Thunderbird however the one thing that bothered me, which may be changeable, is when you reply to a message you are started at the bottom instead of the top of the message you are replying to. I also have a hard time figuring out how to auto insert a sig. I know it can be done but I couldn't find the option to do it.

15. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Thunderbird = sex

'doc

16. quack

quack Minimodder

Outlook 2003 for me, I use Exchange so there's not much else I can use.

17. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Thunderbird at home, Lotus Notes at work. Outlook is teh evil. It has the worst IMAP implementation I've ever seen. Unless you use Exchange or a very basic POP setup, Outlook sucks IMO.

18. Kodiak

Kodiak What's a Dremel?

Well I got this issue figured out but now how do you make it so it will check all your accounts when you start it up instead of it just checking your default account.

19. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Well, I gave up with Thunderbird.
    I could never get it to accept my password for my e-mail account.

I know it's the correct password becuase I re-entered it into Outlook Express, and it works without a problem.

Also, if you check remeber password and type in the password, and can't get connected, then youv'e had it.

Outlook Express is easier to get working, so thats what I will be staying with.

I do prefer filefox browser though.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2005
  20. painesy

painesy What's a Dremel?

I use outlook 2003 mainly because it also gives me the calender, contacts, notes and tasks which I can hen easily sync with my PDA.

Tags: