1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Replacing male molex heads

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ashen, 27 Mar 2005.

1. Ashen

Ashen What's a Dremel?

I have a bunch of red and black male and female molex connecters, a molex tool (looks like a syringe :eek:) and a lot of confusion. Does anyone have any advice/pictures/links etc on how to do this without shagging the molex pins completely? I've never been a major modder beyond attacking things with a dremel and I don't think that would help here :eyebrow:

Any replies much appreciated.

2. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

If it is the right Molex tool it should fit over the pins from the side where the plugs meet. Then you just push hard until the outer tube of the tool slips down to the plastic of the connector shell. That compresses the retention tongue(s) on the pin. With the plunger you push out the pin. Before you put the pin into the new shell check that the retention tongue(s) stick out a little.

3. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

The pin removal tools are a piece of cake to use. I doubt you will manage to damage the pins.

4. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

5. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Nice article, that.

6. Ashen

Ashen What's a Dremel?

cheers kobalt, just the ticket!

7. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

Don't use the universal one for both male and female. Those will damage your pins. I suggest to get a tool for each of the pin styles.

8. Ashen

Ashen What's a Dremel?

Got it all sorted. One lanboy with black molex and one shuttle with red >:

The black sleeving and black molex heads look good with red internal lighting (cc and fans) so I cant argue.

9. H311R4153R

H311R4153R What's a Dremel?

I just use a very small screw driver to bend down the little metal pins and I then the wire just falls out of the molex. before I put them back I push the pins up again. I never had any problems with this method.