1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Chaos Theory (PC)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 29 Mar 2005.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Memory bandwidth perhaps.

Im using DDR2 @ 533.

But i STILL cant complete it cause noone at Ubi knows why my game is ****ed because noone has got this far yet :(:( FFS

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

it's not memory bandwidth related.... I push close to 6k in Sandra buffered, and over 2.5k unbuffered.

HDR is taxing on all current hardware - remember FarCry? http://bit-tech.net/article/145/5

A pair of SLI 6800 Ultra's is just about smooth at 1280x1024 with HDR and soft shadows - it lags to hell at 1280x1024 2xAA 8xAF with High resolution shadows without FRAPS, to it is not a FRAPS issue.

I'm waiting for the full version of the game to arrive on my doorstep to be honest. This is on a fresh windows install too - something I do at least once a week on my video card test system...

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

this is really starting to mess wiv me head.....why realese a game where it taxes even a uber combo like Bigz has??? an even if ubi-soft made such a game why is the top-of-the-range hardware having a problem with it???imean most of this hardware is mean to last for a few years but if it cant take the pressure from a game then all hope is lost in the future...as people r gonna be spending money like crazy upgrading every 5mins coz their cpu/gfx/mem or hdd dont perform the way it shud in a game or app???

this is winding me up.......

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm quite sensitive to lag, going below 20fps is very laggy in my books, and I'm seeing that right at the start of the demo level.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What is more worrying is that Ubi have apparently not tested the game fully.

As for upgrading every five minutes, that's the way it's always been :)

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

No, HDR is a taxing lighting technique that will bring a hell of a lot more realism to games. Valve are releasing a patch for Half-Life 2, along with a new level, and Doug Lombardi said that this is only for those who have super high-end video cards. I don't doubt for a minute that Ubi have not fully tested this game, it's fine, just turn HDR off and the performance is there.

Resolutions won't scale greatly over the next few years, they are 'low' now in this case, because the new techniques are awfully taxing on today's top end hardware, but come the summer, we should see some massive performance improvements (from the quality perspective, allowing us to sex up IQ without losing as much performance as we do now) and architectures that are more suited to this sort of technique.

It is the way forwards for 3D if we are ever going to get to the stage where graphics are as close to real as we are going to get.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I wasnt referring to you, but Krik with the AXP.

The game will run on any R200+ hardware, you will just run it in SM1.1 without HDR and other stuff then itll be like any other game. It's just the SM3 and HDR and softshadows that really tax the NV40 range because they are uber intensive on the GPU and the NV40s are the only things that support SM3.

Full version + 1.01 patch + fresh install + 71.xx WHQLs = teh win.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

another thing to add, SC:CT's HDR, much like FarCry's, doesn't seem to allow AA to be set.

Here is a comparison between 0xAA 8xAF and 2xAA 8xAF (controlled in game, drivers set to App preference) - note you can still see the jaggies on the post and there is no AA working there.

http://bit-tech.net/images/bigz/nvidiaIQ/splintercell3-1280x1024-0xAA8xAF.jpg

http://bit-tech.net/images/bigz/nvidiaIQ/splintercell3-1280x1024-2xAA8xAF.jpg

The reason why there is no AA is because this type of HDR is not compatible with Anti-Aliasing at the moment, as both 16-bit floating-point (FP16) blending (the technique used to create the HDR effect) and Anti-Aliasing are processed in the last stage of the pixel output engine (also known as a ROP) in order to function correctly.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea with HDR on there's big ****in jaggies everywhere, but HDR looks the ****.

They've got it "wrong" in a couple of scenes though where light seems to be coming from nowhere, or parts/Sam are illuminated for no reason. In any other game this wouldnt be a problem, but for one where you have to stick to shadows and you're looking around for a light source to see what bulb to shoot or disable it can be frustrating.

Ubi in their infiniate wisdom enabled HDR by default when enabling the SM3 path, so you have to go into shader settings and disable it if you want to use AA instead of HDR which will probably increase performance.

Another annoying thing is there is no (afaik) screenshot key, so hitting printscreen and usually alt-tabing or ctrl-shift-escaping doesnt work either. Once you're in the game anything in the background or windows key combo is disabled, so to take a screenshot you hit printscreen then go all the way out of the game before going all the way back in to take another.

Pain in arse? Totally.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

use fraps tbh...

11. DanMcr

DanMcr What's a Dremel?

I couldnt get the Demo smooth either using HDR. I ended up using sm1.1 with 4xAA and max AF. Looked great, but you can really tell the difference between 1.1 and 3.0/HDR. I also kept getting audio stuttering/echoing when using HDR aswell.

Hope the retail version is ok.

Oh, using the 71.xx WHQLs too.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You can tell the diff between SM1.1 and 3 in the retail version. Theyve used SM3 code everywhere in the pixel shading in some of the levels. Look at the budda i posted - it's HDR'd too but you can tell it's SM3. I didnt think about it at the time but i should have saved it there and gone back and taken a SM1.1 screeny for comparison but i bet Tim will do it anyway :p cause he's a nice guy like that.
    You can enable SM3 and disable HDR - if you have the 6800GT id encourage you to try to use the SM3 path if poss. Also, disabling softshadows increasaes frame rates in the advanced properties of SM3.

The echoing is just EAX ****ing up, as per creative usual. I really really wish games manuf. would dump EAX in favour of just dolby. SCCT has dolby 5.1, which is great, but then they throw EAX on top of it and the whole audio virtualisation sounds like a pre-fab 90s electric keyboard/sound box. :grr: There's no way to ****ing turn it off either!
    That's another gripe - the audio use is really bad in parts. Like if there's gunfire/music/lots of noise, then you go through an open door and the sound drops to almost nothing!?

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I couldn't help myself, I had to stop by tesco on the way home and get it. Just finished installing it. That's my weekend sorted :)

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

For the love of god someone PLEEEEASE get to mission 9 quickly (bath house). Im still stuck on bomb diffusal and cant go any further :(

15. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Not much chance of me doing that, my PSP has just come through the door! :eek:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

LOL! Git :p

Apparently im not the only one with the problem so it's either a bug or a VERY VERY unobvious thing.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

I hope that my retail version will arrive tomorrow...

18. zx2assassin

zx2assassin What's a Dremel?

Well i just bought it today and installed it...i would play it but everytime i open it the splash screen comes up then screen(s) go black then back to the desktop...ive tried a bunch of things but i an soooo pissed and wanna play this game so bad since i actually bought it...(btw ut2k4 also just splash screen then crash to desktop...i think it was a windows update bc worked fine a few weeks ago...) but yeah if i get it working ill try and catch up...they did release a patch...

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Its the disk protection stuff. Have you got another DVD drive you can use?

20. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Bindi, what spec PC are you running it on? Looks like a worthwhile purchase :thumb: :thumb:

Tags: