1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Tiger Soon?

Discussion in 'Software' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Mar 2005.

1. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Hope thats right but I won't hold my breath :)

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Edit: beaten by TekMonkey :D

3. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

Set to be April 1st I heard. Also you can buy a copy of Tiger right now if you like... its 500 dollars.. Ill get a link later its like the Apple Developement Center or something.

4. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I don't think that's legal. If you're a beta tester with ADC, many people have recieved Tiger already...one guy just settled with Apple because he distributed it all over.

5. planki

planki ...

when tiger is released will this automatically be the os that will be provided with like the mac mini and powerbooks?? Or will it be a case of old machines in stock still come with panther and the newer produced models come with tiger??

i ask becuase im considering buying a mac mini and i dont need it urgently so i may aswell wait if im going to get a newer os for the same price.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Well there is talk/speculation that they won't ship the Mini with Tiger at all until they upgrade the base spec of the mini to 512mb (and kill off the eMac?), which could be a while off yet.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The mini cant run tiger because the 9200 IGP is R200/DX8.1 based not DX9 (full floating point) which is required for tiger to run.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

Got any sources for that? :eeek: :waah:

They must release *something* to run tiger on it... surely? :blah:

9. planki

planki ...

oooooooh you reckon they will release a new version of the mac mini then with upgraded graphics capability and more memory on etc to run tiger then??

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

More than likely, with an X300 IGP ATI have - all new, faster mini mac, now ships with tiger!. Otherwise, itll just be like Panther - CPU driven. Tiger requires full floating point, not semi like pre-DX9 i read.

I dunno how they are gonna play it.

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Mar 2005
  11. planki

planki ...

im pretty tempted by the mac mini but ive also being looking at the screenshots of the new tiger release on the apple website and it looks quite good so im thinking for my first venture into appledom it would be cool to get the latest os but i dont want to wait ages for apple to release new hardware for it etc.

might have to wait for the launch of tiger and see what apple do.

12. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I'm pretty sure Tiger will run on the mini, though I'm not at all sure it'll come bundled with it.

Throw away comments made about Tiger in places like...

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0503tiger8a414.html

...imply Tiger works just fine on the Rad 9200 (I doubt beta testers would report a few DVD booting issues on specific 1.3GHz iBook's if Tiger didn't work when it'd installed!), as the iBook also uses the chip. If Apple really released their latest OS not supporting anything but fully DX9 g/cards they'd really be shooting themselves in the foot, I don't believe it for a second.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well that's what i thought when i originally read the thing i was explaining above. Maybe itll detect non-dx9 gfx and itll just use tweaked Panther code instead - CPU driven instead of GFX and you dont get the full tiger goodness?? So itll look and feel like Tiger, but wont be core driven the same? Perhaps?

14. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

15. pcjabber

pcjabber What's a Dremel?

It's legal. But it's only available to developers. Legally, you cannot just buy it. If you are with ADC (I am, but under a free account), you can purchase it (and upgrade your membership) for $500.

16. WinMacLin

WinMacLin What's a Dremel?

All the computers Apple sell including iBooks Powerbooks iMacs eMacs Powermacs & Mac Mini's will ship with Tiger once Tiger is released.

Tiger runs successfully on Mac Mini's and iBook's which do not support core image. Of course this means you will not be able to use CoreImage you will still be able to use applications that take advantage of CoreImage such as Konfabulator.

17. planki

planki ...

cool sounds good, from my understanding is core image some software that allows images to be more easily manipulated and more fancy editing stuff done to them?

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sounds good. But will it mean that developer will have to completely re-write image manipulation software for Macs then?

19. WinMacLin

WinMacLin What's a Dremel?

Basically yes, its like Quartz Extreme in the way images can easily be manipulated and effects added for instance in Konfabulator there is a window "Ripple" effect which is run by Core Image, of course if you are going to use an application that is written purely for Core Image like a Core Image video editing program you will need Core Image to run that.

20. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Tags: