1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP and old HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dannyqball, 8 Apr 2005.

1. dannyqball

dannyqball What's a Dremel?

Can anyone tell me how I can get my new system to recognize my old HD????
    XP sees it but when I try to access it I get (do you want to format)

A friend at work says that you can go into disk management and tell it to see it but he doesn't remember all the steps. The hd I'm trying to access is from an old 700mhz but I can see it and read it from my 400mhz.

I just want to transfer the data to my 160g hd on my new system so I can format the old dog.

Help plz

2. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

To get into disc managment;

Start - Control Panle - (In clasic view) - Administration tools - Computer managment. And disc mnagement is there at the bottom. ;)

3. dannyqball

I went into disc management but don't know what to do when I get in there.

4. dannyqball

I think I may have messed up. I made it dynamic and now it wan'ts me to format or delete volume.. Crap what have I done.

I have tons of data on here that I simply can't lose. pictures of my kid on vacation and stuff..

HELP HELP HELP :duh:

5. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

What kind of system was the HDD on before, does it still work on that system? You could try a USB enclosure for the drive. I found that XP is a little more forgiving on those.

6. dannyqball

It's weird dude. the old hd was XP in my 700 and the cmos died, all the sudden the drive can't been read. now I can only read it with win98.

7. roll1

roll1 What's a Dremel?

You normally go into disk management/action/open and copy and paste the files you want onto the new disk and then you can format the old disk and do what you want with it.If you can't do this why don't you just transfer the files you want to cd or dvd on the computer that can read the hdd and load them on new computer.The old XP disk must be in Fat32 anyway if Win98 can read it.

8. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

This is hear-say, but XP looks at the "magic numbers" in the master boot record different from earlier versions. It uses more of that information to decide if you messed too much with your computer and need to re-activate it. If the MBR is damaged W98 may not even see the error, but XP is more picky.