1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Custom Desk

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SJH, 8 Apr 2005.

1. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

thats my desk. its pretty good for the price. there is even a part tp put on top of it. is handy for printer and so stuff

2. daz_uk30

daz_uk30 What's a Dremel?

heres a pic of mine thats been stained with caustic & waxed [​IMG]

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I like custom desks, you can get everything the way you want it to be, just like mine! You may want to put in features such as hooks to hold up and hide dangling wires, and put in a inbuilt cd rack or something, and all in one desk!

I think keeping wood as it is is the best, don't laminate it, often looks cheap, don't gloss it, gets dirty easily.

4. B.Psycho8

B.Psycho8 What's a Dremel?

Damn Daz, That has to be one of the nicest desks/setups I've ever seen, the whol look is so clean, from the wireless keyboard the the white lights from comp no desk just looks :jawdrop: for some reason. A+ lol

5. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Well I've got it finished.

[​IMG]

I still need to do a bit of sanding on parts of it - I'm too lazy to do it now though :p

[​IMG]

There's the area to the right of my workspace. My network switch and router are hidden underneath that middle cabinet thing with the printer on :rock:

I might add more to this desk as and when I can afford it/be bothered.

-Sam

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Looks brilliant! :thumb: That a 17" or 19"

<A88>

7. SJH

SJH Minimodder

The main one is a 17" LG monitor. The one to the left of the printer is a 10.4" CTX one I got for £35 on eBay :D

8. ColD_FusSioN

ColD_FusSioN What's a Dremel?

thats a really good work.... you could add some additional "gadgets"... try www.thinkgeek.com...

9. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

looks nice, aren't you going to wax it though? just take away that fresh wood look ;P

10. scimmy

scimmy Minimodder

Looks good to me.. Luckily l live alone so have my PC in the lounge. l can sit on the settee with a keyboard and watch the gogglebox at the same time :)

11. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I like my desk:
    [​IMG]

Simply a cheap shelf screwed into the wall to support the keyboard and mouse, and plenty of space beneath to show off the PC! :p

(oh, and that ugly white desk with the curve in the corner was made out of cheap particle board and a few 2x2's for support! Unfortunately I can't seem to find any of that magical sticky-backed laminate stuff jazzle used...)

12. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Wow, Very nice Setup!! :jawdrop:. But how do you manage to have legspace with that tower underneath.

13. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Im thinking that is a wireless keyboard and mouse. Either that or he is an amputee(dont mean that to be mean anyone just saying it).

And SJH like that desk real clean and smooth. YOu gave me an idea about my desk. OH and i built my desk to ill post a pic of it later. I think mine is a bit more extreme then all the others. That is just my observation since im cocky and arrogent.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2005
  14. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

My desk.

Made out of 3/4 plywood nailed together(I know nails right). The top is formica(basically counter top paperish stuff. It glues to wood and is like 1/16 inch. Coolest thing is i can cut my food on it sinces it truly kitchen countertop)
    Desk is in a mess right now since i dont feel like cleaning it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me and my dad built it and my great uncle did the drawers and front fascia(he is alot better at precise wood work which is what you need to front things and put it drawers right)

15. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

i wanna build a desk

anyone ever see the lian li desk? lol

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556060857.html

anyways, i kinda want one with a sliding keyboard thing, but i guess i dont REALLY need it though, i should build one

16. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

i still need to build a new desk, i want something stronger and deeper, so im going to get some 10 ply, and make it so that its got some risers for my monitors (to use the space above htem better) with my amp underneath the riser.

atm my room is SUCH a tip, ill get a picture later to showhow bad its got!

17. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

Seeing has how everybody is throwing their home made desks into the ring :cooldude: :

The 'workshop'

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumble/images/desk/desk002.jpg

Simple stub tenons using the same groove that the panels sit. With the panels also glued into the groove its plenty strong enough and no need for full tenons or screws:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumble/images/desk/desk003.JPG
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumble/images/desk/desk001.JPG

Fitted and fixed. The shelf at the back was made out of the offcuts. Theres some wierd perspective thing going on in that shot, as it makes the shelf look as if its running out of level, but trust me its not.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumble/images/desk/desk004.JPG

And the most important design feature. Two doors underneath the desk hide the sockets and all the nasty wires :)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumble/images/desk/desk006.jpg

Cosy fit. With the sponge for extra sound proofing its virtually noiseless, but due to heat building up the main rigs ended up on top of the desk. Which isn't the end of the world, as the only time the fans are cranked up is for games, and I usually wear headphones then :) :

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumble/images/desk/desk005.JPG

18. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Damn, im liking that desk man, it looks good

19. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

Well, its not bad for a rush job, managed to fit it in over a bank holiday :)

I'd already made the top and the panels months ago, and they'd been cluttering up the garage, so I had to finish it to get the car in there

Edit: BTW thanks for not taking the p*** out of my wallpaper :)

Last edited: 6 Jul 2005
  20. UnkleRosco

UnkleRosco What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my custom desk, well its the GFs.. Built it for her a while back...

Check out www.custompc.co.uk n check out the readers drives section