1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 6600gt agp custom cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by _krypton, 11 Apr 2005.

1. _krypton

_krypton What's a Dremel?

Since the agp version of the 6600gt only supports 3 custom coolers(are there more???)

-zalman
    -coolermaster coolviva (doesn't fit in msi k8n-neo2)
    -linksys vga cooler

I decided to make my own cooler, using my old barton 2500+ stock heatsink. Googled around and i saw someone who had done this:

Use cable ties to fasten the heatsink. My first idea was to measure and drill holes, but this idea seemed much better. No mods needed. So anyway, my first trial was screwed as the contact to the GPU was not good. My second attempt however, was just perfect.

PICS:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, i must tell you, i am very impressed with the results. My card is a leadtek winfast card, and with the light stock heatsink, i was getting temps of up to 85'c with NO oc.

at 600/1200 the temps with the 'new' cooler are:

IDLE: ambient 39, GPU 43
    LOAD:ambient 50, GPU 65

Anyway, i think most of you oc'ers have a stock heatsink lying around, so why not do this instead of forking out money to get a cooler? I'm just sharing my experience with ya'll.

Oh and this is assuming the card has a separate hsi heatsink, and you are not using the pci slots (takes up 3 pci slots)

Last edited: 11 Apr 2005
  2. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

See I have a 6600GT card that has one big hunk of copper hanging onto it. Bummer cos I wanted to plonk a Zalman on there. Oh well :D

3. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Sweet mod bud. :). I would do that to my card, but Shuttle won't agree with it. :(

4. _krypton

_krypton What's a Dremel?

The only problem is i can't fit ramsinks in there. Do i really need it anyway??
    As i have heard gddr3 memory doesn't heat up that much.

5. WORMAGE

WORMAGE What's a Dremel?

my xfx 6600gt should be arriving anytime soon, i will certainly test the stock cooler first but if needs must i wll try this mod :rock: . i had a hercules geforce prophet mx 2 , which had a cpu hsf on gpu and one over ram and i had the original hercules hsf on the back of the gpu , all attched with cable ties and thermal paste and super glue. worked like a charm for over a year until i upgraded and sold it to amte , its still in his draw to this very day rofls

Tags: