1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mechanism to mount lid

Discussion in 'Modding' started by yug3sh, 13 Apr 2005.

1. yug3sh

yug3sh What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I built an acrylic case which is basically a box. I'm pretty much done, except I don't know how best to mount the lid (which would be on top of the box). Think of a fish tank with a flat board on the top (the flat board being the lid).... note.. this is just to describe how the lid sits on top... the case does not look like a fish tank!

I need to figure out how to mount the top in a way such that it doesn't affect the look of the case, but can be flipped or unhooked and removed when needed.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. BioToxiC

BioToxiC What's a Dremel?

suppose a pic of the case wud help ppl give u ideas.....no bad vibe intended :idea:

3. Ogami Itto

Ogami Itto What's a Dremel?

Did you check out this bit-tech article??

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/72/1

This guy made a lovely little clear box case and used some clear hinges.. Is that the kinda thing you are going for?

BTW great article :)

4. yug3sh

yug3sh What's a Dremel?

Re...

Sorry, I don't have a camera for pics... If I do get a hold of one, I'll upload some pics.

The hinges look like the best bet. Think I'll give those a try.

Thanks.

5. yug3sh

yug3sh What's a Dremel?

Hinges

I bought a pair of hinges. The problem with the hinges are that they are external (i.e mounted outside) and spoil the look of the box.

Does anyone know of an internal hinge mount mechanism or some kind of hidden hinge that would work in this case?

Thanks.

6. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

I'm just envisioning this, so there may be some bugs, or it may not fit your vision:

On each side (long wall) route a wire from bottom to top along the vertical front corner, then along the top of the wall and then down in the rear corner. Glue it tight into the corners. At corners there is always diffracted light that can hide the wire. Every few inches break the wire and glue in an LED with conductive epoxy like http://www.resintechgroup.com/pds/T908.pdf (hard to get, but worth the trouble).
    The (trimmed) legs of the LED should be glued to the wall with the LED body resting on the wall, but sticking up vertically above the wall. You should get 4 to 6 LEDs per side in series, that you can now hook up to the PSU through a suitable resistor, +12V/GND or +12V/-12V.
    Drill holes into the lid that match the LEDs. Put on the lid and the LEDs will keep it seated. When you turn on power the LEDs will light up. People will see the light, not the fastener function. With some extra circuitry you can also make them flash for HDD access or other kinky stuff.

7. th3Phallex

th3Phallex What's a Dremel?

Why don't you install a Piano Hinge on the inside of the back panel?

Here is a diagram of what I mean:

This is a SIDE VIEW.

[​IMG]

This way, when the LID is closed, the hinge won't be seen.

8. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

They even have that in acrylic: http://www.sdplastics.com/acrylicpianohinges.html

9. rick

rick What's a Dremel?

heres a simple idea with no hinges needed.
    first cut a piece exactly the same size as the top case externally. (which the top probably is)
    then cut a piece exactly the same size as the internal opening.
    glue them together.
    you now have a lid that fits exactly with no hinges showing.

10. yug3sh

yug3sh What's a Dremel?

Re:

Some really good ideas here... I'll see which one works best.

Thanks all!