1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics USB->paralell

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Smilodon, 18 Jul 2004.

1. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

When you click on the device's properties (under USB devices), it should tell you on one of the tabs which port you want it to be assigned to. That's how it works for USB -> serial devices so I assume it's exactly the same for USB -> Parallel.

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

nope... it isn't... I get that on my original paralell and serial ports, but not on the USB thing...

i'm currently running the standard XP driver... Is there any other drivers i can try out?

3. Vito

Vito What's a Dremel?

Mmm... I have been searching around in some other forums, and it looks like nobody has got it working. :sigh:
    For example, I attach some discussion found in http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026134744

Q: Can a parallel to usb converter cable like this work for parallel LCDs?
    A: Short answer: No, long answer, there's no way to hack it. We've looked at it extensively. The problem lies not in the hardware but in the software; the driver creates a virtual printer port which only the Windows print spooler can see. It does not allow the spooler to control the lines in any way other than the standard Centronics printer protocol, nor does it provide an I/O address for more direct control of the system.

But there is a first time for everything. Perhaps you can do it, but you may require some good programming abilities, as you have said.

For character displays there are some usb to lcd interfaces, like the one pointed out by code81. The problem lies in how to connect the graphical displays. As far as I know, no vendor offers a usb to lcd solution for graphical LCD's. The only way is to buy another IO card, with extra parallel ports.

I will keep searching for it.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

doesn't look good then?... :( :sigh:

Theoreticly it's fully possible, but...

Isn't there ANYONE with some programming skills here?

5. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

sorry to drag up an old thread, but i was looking for info on this. Ive got a paralell port LCD screen but was thinking about upgrading a motherboard and was wondering if i got one without a paralell port could i use a USB to Paralell converted for it? just wondering if anybody has got one working?

6. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

I imagine many of these adaptors would be based on the FT245 or something similar.
    I know the FTDI FT245 chip gives an 8-bit data bus output, but none of the 'control' signals on the printer port, one of which is often used for the register select on LCD's.

Another option may be to use a microcontroller, either in combination with something like the FT232BM or a USB-ready micro like the fancy new 18Fxxxx USB PICs.

7. mikaelgu

mikaelgu What's a Dremel?

How about: this?