1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: UnKnown

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by moreDread, 31 Mar 2005.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

wtf how can you cool it down to -18.6 degrees below 0? is there something special about htat rad or something? i didnt think you could get it that cold with out liquid nitrogen.

2. moreDread

moreDread What's a Dremel?

Thats the temp reading on the coldplate, I can't get a true reading off the CPU as the bios just won't do it.

The -18 is an idle temp (still good for an idle tem though) but i'm getting around -5 under full load and a bios temp of 1 to 2 above which off a pelt is a good temp.

The rad is nothing special at all, just a standard thermochill 120.2 with 2x panaflo 2500rpm fans.... so to have 2 more fitted to improve airflow over the rad fins

3. moreDread

Minor update to the pics already posted.

I've not done the hard drive caddy and tidied up the wiring a little more on the rad side of the case. I've also moved the relay to the back of the case so its the other side of the pump. It looks cleaner which is a plus.

Now i need to decide what to do with the mesh housings i've made, do i leave as is or paint them.

One other idea is to remove the mesh that is hiding the wires and just make a new housing for the PSU that will incorporate something along the same lines. But that will need some serious thought.

Anyway....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. z4114

z4114 FACE!

It's not his radiator that's cooling his processor like that, it's the TEC he is using that will drop the temps into the negatives. A 226W TEC for his processor is pretty freaking huge.

moreDread: What is the power consumption of that TEC psu?

5. moreDread

All i can tell you is whats on the manufacturers site which is basically this

Output: 12Volts, 25Amps Switching PSU
    Current Range 0-25A
    AC CURRENT 3.5A/230V

I know i would have been better going for a phasechange unit as these give better performance to power ratio but until i can justify spending over £500 on the unit then a TEC was the cheaper solution.

On top of that its been a good learning experience which i can not put a price on :)

6. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Where did you buy that TEC

7. moreDread

The TEC was brought from a reputable guy on one of the other forums i use frequently.

Why?

8. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

Just thought that this post was funny. If want to get down to -195.8 degrees Celsius, then you would use LN2, otherwise, phase-change or a TEC should suffice. :hehe:

9. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

because my p4 is VERY HOT and needs som extreme cooling :brrr:

10. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Like most people who have not taken much chemestry or higher maths, he is not thinking in terms of absolute zero. Forgive his ignorance :D

Very cool (no pun intended)! I like these home brew cooling machines :rock:

11. moreDread

Well if you have water cooling already and its the type of wetup that will cope with Pelts then its a good step forwards. If on the other hand you need the water cooling set up then it would be better to go straight for phase change.

The reasoning behind this is a complete water and pelt setup is gonna cost in the region of £300 - £400 and a phase change unit you can get from £400 upwards.

12. moreDread

Well you learn something new every day LOL.... Maybe i should have attended class more instead of having my head stuck inside a pc system and hanging around street corner :duh:

On the bright side i've got knowledge they don't teach in schools :D

13. 0ri0n

0ri0n What's a Dremel?

Awesome mod! The server-cube really serves your setup, awesome cooling! :hip:

14. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Damn... there goes my plan!

thats exactly what i was going to do!

but i was going to do 2 seperate loops... one hot side, one cold side, but youve just convinced me just to put a pelt under the cpu block :D

take care... mod on!

15. moreDread

Well it's been nearly a month since i last updated here but like with so many other things its all down to funds and time. But i've managed to save a few pennies and get the final few bits to finish off the cooling side of the project. Namely a performance fan shroud, 2 panaflo fans and a tec gpu water block :D

The only thing i forgot to do was charge up the batteries or even buy some to get some pics of the installation and so on, but hey no ones perfect....

What i did manage to do was charge the batteries over night and get some pics of the case with all the new parts now installed. With one or two minor things left to do this is nearly the end of the project :( and with summer on its way and me thinking of sunnier places plus my sisters wedding to attend the new project won't be started until late september but at least it will give me something to look forward to and hopefully a few here will be looking forward to it as well.

Just to give a rough idea though. The case will be built from scratch this time. Its to hold two prommies as well as two motherboards. One for gaming and one as a file server. Parts from the case i have now like tec unit, mobo and so on will be salvaged and used to keep the cost down but as for the rest its a case of build of buy.

Anyway back to what I'm here for and thats the update....

The performance shroud wasn't going to be fitted originally due to it not being available. The original idea was to use 2 cheap fans and use the housing as spacers which would have only been 20mm plus the panaflo fans. With the shroud being 40mm off the rad it meant reworking the divider which now needs replacing. Still only a minor thing and at £5 a sheet of the aluminum not a costly mod to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apart from all the extra wiring that needs some attention the mobo side of the case is looking good. I've now replaced the standard DD gpu water block with a tec one and i'm getting good temps for both the CPU and GPU. Both the tecs are running off the same meanwell psu but i've dropped the voltage down to 11.40v to make sure i'm not over straining the unit. I'm not sure of the CPU temp at idle due to the DFI board bios temp bottoming out after 0c but the temp probe under the coldplate drops to -19c. The GPU on the otherhand does show and its -4c at idle and goes to about 18c when gaming. Thats with the card OC'd from 425Mhz / 400Mhz to 535Mhz / 535Mhz. I think for a X800SE its a reasonable OC :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final pics are of the DVD Drive which i finally got around to painting black so it doesn't stand out so much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that about wraps it up for the time being. With just the minor things to do like paint the mesh, add some lights, tidy up the wiring and general stuff its basically finished. When i've done the final few bits i'll post up some final shots of the case for all the see.

16. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

nice design

17. BrokeEnthusiast

BrokeEnthusiast What's a Dremel?

I like it, but it does resembel a mountain mods U2-UFO case a little. I like youre other ideas tho. it looks great

18. 2800@2.5ghz

2800@2.5ghz What's a Dremel?

that case is sweet man, very good idea, can i ask, is that a relay you have for your eheim pump, if it one youve made, as i need one for my rig as its a pain in the ass turning it on and off all the time.

19. moreDread

Yeah it is a liitle like a mountain mod case but it was about £120 cheaper which is a big bonus :D

The relay i got from maplin and with the din-rail conncetion was £8 and i can run upto 4 devices from it. At the moment all i have is the pump and tec running through is which saves me the problem of turning them off when the system shuts down.

20. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

do you mean like

[​IMG]

or like

[​IMG]

yeah thats right :D im pimping my rig on bit-tech.net!

sorry guys, had to show someone :D

if you want to see the entire project log of my case, its over @ pclincs.co.uk

http://www.pclincs.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7834&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

i dont think this case resembles the u2-ufo, as the front on his case is rounded, and his is custom built, i bought the u2-ufo as i wanted to make a cube, but the qoute i got for the alluminium was £150, and i got this u2-ufo for £130 :D so yeah

this case is looking really good, and i love the way the front looks :D loadsa fans going on there ;)