1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: PSOne Screen, finished...for now.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by foxx, 3 Apr 2005.

1. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

This is exactly why you take the backlight off the LCD and use a different light source. By taking off the backlight, you allow yourself the freedom of turning it around, and just using it in reverse (and upside down).

2. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Ya ya ya, but then I couldn't use it for enything elts. I ordered the fresnel leanse I posted earlier. Hopefully it will be here soon and I can get some more work done.

3. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Mate, stop being so stubborn. You *need* a bigger, more powerful light source. The backlight might put out enough energy for the light to reach your eyes but for the light to hit the wall, bounce back and still be legible/viewable, a small CCFL simply won't do. Software flipping won't do you any good, just turn around the LCD when you have your bigger light wired up. I suggest something like a PAR lightbulb, I'm a sound techie at school but the light guys use 850W PAR64 lights for stuff like disco lights, a PAR36 (not sure on wattage but at least <850W) should do you fine.

4. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Well its also the fact tha if I do get a brighter light then I have to get another fresnel,heat glass,uv proof glass, ect. But did you guys even read my post explaining why I dont nead a bright light. And if I could get my question answered that it would make it brighter. Plus if you looked at my desine also, you would see that even if I did get a better light source it wont be travaling through the projector, simply reflecting. So I would still nead software to flip it.

5. adamjones01101

Ok, the amount that you might be able to get it brighter will STILL not be enough to increase the light output to make it clearly visible. Trust me, do some research, it's well worth it. If you really are dead-set on creating this part of your project, then my suggestion is to buy the projector creation guide at LumenLab for $19.99, as it is very informative. Not only do you get the guide, you also get access to the forums that are accessible only to customers, where the real action happens. I would post some of the guide, but it's illegal by their copyright rules, and I could get arrested. At least do yourself a favor and check out the free section of their forums (the Gallery), so you can try to understand a little more how they work.

Ok, continuing, you are going to still need a fresnel AND a triplet lens, not just a magnifying glass, because a triplet will decrease the amount of picture distortion that you get when viewing the screen. Just take a hint from me that I know what I'm talking about. I really want to see you complete this, and I think you can, but it will take more work than you think.

Also, I know if you were to remove the backlight, you wouldn't be able to use the screen for anything else, but then again, people who create LCD projectors rarely if ever use their LCDs again for anything BUT the projector. Just a thought.

Sorry to sound like an ass, but you really need to do your research before you undertake something like this.

6. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

:read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read:
    PLEASE READ. MAYBEY YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT I PURCHASED A TRIPLET LENSE/VARIOFOCAL AND A FRESNEL.

7. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

ey for the projector how exactly does it work?

like u have a light go through the picture of the lcd and it bounces off mirrors or somethin? and shines through a lens like a magnifying lens?

8. adamjones01101

This picture should explain it pretty well:
    [​IMG]

Basically, your light originates from the source (light bulb, which has a ballast to ignite it), then is reflected so that the light is not lost by being diffused around the container. The light then travels from the reflector (and the light bulb) to the tempered glass, where light, but not heat, is transferred. After that, it enters the collimator Fresnel, where the light is made to be perpendicular to the lens (distributing the light evenly through the assembly). Then, it passes through the stripped LCD panel (obviously without a backlight), and then goes into the condensor Fresnel, where the image is thus condensed, and sent into the triplet lens, which inverts the image again, and attempts to remove distortion (a three lens assembly removes distortion much more efficiently than one lens alone), and also is used to focus the image.

Without all of these parts, it is very difficult to produce a really efficient projector. While it IS possible to complete this with only the backlight as the light source (eliminating the need for a collimator lens), it isn't practical, because the typical CCFL backlight only puts out about 3 to 7 candela, which is NOWHERE near enough power to produce a clear image, considering people with over 10,000 LUMENS (which is dim for a DIY projector) have issues with clarity.

9. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

...Why do I bother, all these questions have been answered before, and adam shut the f*** up, you dont understande.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2005
  10. adamjones01101

Ummm, you really shouldn't diss the other people on the forums, especially when they are attempting to help someone WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE BASIC CONCEPTS OF AN IDEA. Plus, you're from Colorado, and speak English, so learn how to spell. I was going to be nice and try to help you out with your mod so it actually works, but now I'm not going too, because you obviously can't accept help from someone who knows what they are talking about, when you don't. For your information, I wasn't posting the image I made for you, I was posting it for Bboy_Jon, who asked for some help, and I wasn't about to let him be mislead by you, because you honestly don't understand the basic concepts of optics, and any response you have would probably hurt him more than help him.

Basic moral of the story: Don't put down other people when they are willing to offer help.

Just thought of this, too...I thought it might be useful for anyone engaging in a DIY PJ project. If you are trying to convert candela to lumens, the closest you can get is to multiply your candela by 12.57 to reach approximate output in lumens. There is a lot more to it than that, but that is the most basic conversion factor.

Thus: (4.4 candela)(12.57) = (55.308 Lumens)

Last...foxx, show us all a picture when you get a decent image...

11. mjd

mjd What's a Dremel?

Foxx - I rarely post on BT, as I usually just quietly admire the work of many of its subscribers during my lunch break, but your attitude is simply pointless and is doing nobody any benefit at all. Flaming those that are offering you the benefit of their sensical advice is just highlighting your age and naive nature.
    You appear to have an idea in your head, and you want to prove people wrong...all power to you for believing in your own ideas....but you cant expect to post on an open discussion forum and not receive constructive criticism.
    If you dont want the advice, come back when you've got it licked and wallow in proving everyone wrong.

12. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy What's a Dremel?

Glad to see the screens are being put to use. Foxx you may not be buidling your projector the proper or ideal way but its the way you want it done so keep doing it your way.

13. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

how about to use an old overhead projector and a old lcd display. its cheap solution :dremel: :D :naughty:

14. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

I am mad couase look, I said this,

And this,

And what does he say,

And,

So, maybey if he had read I wouldnt be so pissed.And it wasnt only that, he did it with outher stuff too.

And sorry bboy, I thought you were asking how did mine work.
    like this,
    http://www.audiovisualizers.com/madlab/lcd_proj.htm

EDIT: Sorry people I am usualy not this mad.

15. Morphes

Morphes What's a Dremel?

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG..... OMG!

Kid i dont mean to be rude but listen to the smart people on the forum, dont be a dick head and try to seem right (even though your utterly wrong) because this doesnt help you learn which, I assume, is what your trying to do with this project of yours. Making a projector isnt as easy as you think and you CANT make it portable if you want a decent projector! Look at the thousands of guides and other worklogs, understand a concept and the creation process fully before rushing into a project you know nothing about. Sorry had to vent on this kid a little.

As for your projector, you will need to follow the basic idea behind it. A backlight isnt bright enough and no matter how bright you think you can make it, it wont be nearly as good if you were to use a bulb insted (and PLEASE remember to take the backlight and pcb board off the screen before using in a projector). Oh and i'm not sure if that picture of composite and vga was your vga connection or not but if thats what your trying to show then you need to understand a vga connection more, ever wonder why it says 15pin and yours only have 2? here is the picture i a refering too

[​IMG]

and this is a real vga connection

[​IMG]

anywho, good luck with your project, and Adam dont hold a grudge at him he is just immature and thinks he knows EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. Peace, Love and persuit of happiness

P.S. if you didnt want your face to be on the internet why would you take the time to take a picture then edit it and say you dont wanna be seen?

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Look guys, do we have to come in and bitch-slap some people? :grr: If people offer you advice, accept it gracefully, even if you think they are wrong --you don't HAVE to follow it. If people did not read your previous posts properly, tell them politely without throwing insults at them.

If someone throws well-meant advice back in people's face, don't all feel the need to chip in and tell him what an ass he is. Just let him get on with it, and get on with your own stuff.

Now, I can assume that normal service will resume in this thread?
    :eyebrow:

17. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

OK...If you had read you would have seen that yes I know I am not the smartest kid, and yes I admited it.

But what you guys arnt seeing is that Im not just some stupid kid. :sigh:
    I have done reaserch, if there was a way to prove it I would.

Who says you cant make a decent projector with a backlight, and I am not done with this project all the way. If you had read the link I had posted a million times you wuold see that I dont even nead to tare apart the screen yet still get a lamp in there by using the lcds natural reflections. I know it wont be nearly as good, but with my room blacked out it can be.

And if I were to make it passive instead of the reflective way I know you have to take the pcb off, I am not as stupid as you think.

Ok I understande the confusion over the vga and such here these pics should help out. Just cause I use a composite connector to connect all fo it doesnt mean the whole thing is composite.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was following what he sayd it was the fact that he kept saying it even thought I had done it(and told him I had a million times), I am not mad at him at all infact I think he is a friends...everyone at bit is.

Yes this thread should continue as normal. Just people READ sometimes it realy helps.

EDIT: OH ya my pic, why does it matter.

18. adamjones01101

Alright, I was just thinking that maybe I was a bit harsh in my last few posts, and I wish to amend that. I want to see you finish this, and if you say that you've done your research, then I have to trust that you have. Just do me a favor and post some pics when it's finished, because it's something I may consider if it works how you say it's supposed to.

~Adam

19. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Will do, and if mine doesnt work out. I will do it your way. :D

20. adamjones01101

Sounds like a deal to me! :thumb: