1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Homebrew CNC Machine

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JavaDog, 8 Apr 2005.

1. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tip on the DeWalt! That looks even nice than the PC. DeWalt has always made great tools. Plus, I really like the fact that I can run it as slow as 8,000rpm. The slower speeds would be a plus! Good tip, I'll upgrade to the DeWalt. :thumb:

To be fair, I have seen some high-end homebrew CNC routers using the Roto-Zip. But, I need something that can take long runs, as some jobs may be 2-3 hours in a single run.

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Exactly, that's why I suggested you go for the DeWalt, because they can handle going on long runs and can take abouse like you wouldn't believe. Plus, that heavy duty motor looks awfully yummy. Yeah, the Roto-Zip would just burn up and die under those conditions, and that's not good.

3. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

What part of New York are you located in? I live right outside Rochester, and could bear to use some of your services. BTW, awesome job so far...I had thought of doing this, but for some reason (being that I have no idea how to start), I haven't tried.

AWESOME!!!!! :thumb:

4. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I live in Queens and i could use his servicess as well.

5. jaguarking11

by far the best routers I have ever seen are the bosch series routers but they are not cheep, but I have seen them work for hours on end. My pop is a contractor and he does woodworking and his baby is his bosch router.

6. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the Bosch routers are very nice. But, for the price, I think that the DeWalt is a winner. :thumb:

I am actually in Buffalo. We'll have to talk. Good to see some neightbors on here!! :D

7. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Wow... I'm gonna be watching this one like a hawk. Where aboots in NY are you? If I'm in the area some time It'd be cool if I could drop by and see it in person.

8. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

:thumb: Maybe we could set something up eventually. I will also be posting videos of it in action once its built. They are addictive to watch!!

9. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Man, I need more coffee...

or to trade my head in for a bag of hammers - so its more realistic.

10. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

id love to build/have my own CNC but have insufficient funds/time/knowledge. The first two are my problem, but maybe you could help with the last. do you know of any good guides? and what should I look for in terms of equipment?

11. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Guides? CNCZone.Com is a wealth of information. The only place I 'learned' how to build this machine.

The equipment part is tricky. There are so many brands/variables for controllers, stepper or servos, ower supplies, spindle or router, construction material, etc etc.

12. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

I've decided to go with the DeWalt over the Porter Cable. Found it online for $168! :thumb:

Check out the specs:

[​IMG]

13. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

I am now the proud owner of three new Poly-Sci servos. :D

Specs:

[​IMG]

14. jaguarking11

Wow I like that dewalt router, it looks awsome and the specs seem to be very good. Maybe lader on you can get a true 10hp electric motor and convert it to a router?.....only kidding. That thing looks like its gr8 for the job.

BTW did you know dewalt is made by black and decker? Just a lil tool trivia.

15. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

Actually isnt it black and decker is made by dewalt, if you want to get technical? :p

dewalt tools are just amazing. truely awesome tools, their cordless tools are often like using corded tools from other manufacturers.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2005
  16. kplonk

kplonk What's a Dremel?

Looks good so far, what sort of time scale are you working to?

17. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Less than 1 month to completion. Sooner if possible. :thumb:

18. jaguarking11

I always knew it as dewalt is made by black and decker. I could be wrong but im 90% shure im rite.

19. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

Dewalt is made by Black and Decker. Router looks good so far man, would be nice to have one/access to one.

20. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Ok, I just ordered my Breakout Board and its Power Supply today.

The Breakout board is what takes the signal output from my Controller Software and converts it to TTL signals that my Servo Controllers (Gecko G320) can understand. It also opto-isolates my Par-Por/PC from any back-voltage, spikes, etc. Better to fry (IF anything goes wrong) a $25 board than a $2000 computer!! :eeek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other cool part is that this has 7 5v lines, and 2 12v lines. Not bad for $25. So, I can use it to run some DC fans (and maybe something else :idea:) to keep my electronics box cooled. I plan on pimping out my electronics box a little bit - some industrial case-modding. :p

Last edited: 19 Apr 2005