1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless keeps dropping.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the1maxim, 19 Apr 2005.

1. the1maxim

the1maxim What's a Dremel?

I have a MN-500 wireless B router connected to my PC and two MN-510 wireless adapters connected to my kids PC's. I have them connected fine, have wireless security set up, and have an excellent connection on both, but for some reason they keep dropping. Is there a certain setting I should be looking at. I'm competent when it comes to this, but I have to say networking is my weakest skill by far.

Also is there an easy way to wipe out all network settings on their PC's and start over?

Any help would be appreciated! We try to play NFSU together and its just not staying up.

2. daz_uk30

daz_uk30 What's a Dremel?

do you have cordless telephones ?

3. rasputinj

rasputinj What's a Dremel?

I would make sure that if there is a power save function that it is turned off, if that is not the case, I would try to change channels. If you have a 2.4ghz Cordless phone it could cause interference also. I have found with some phones if I just go to a higher channel above 9, I do not have the interference problems.

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

If you just want to start over just uninstall all the drivers, devices, and any other software you installed.

Only time the cordless is usually a problem is when your on it and ive only seen that be a problem in situations with 3+ phones going at the same time.

May want to trouble shoot the distance and placement of the router. May want to move the router to the kids room if possible + the net connection. See if you can go wireless without any issues. Sometimes its just a matter of a few inches that makes all the difference..

5. ColD_FusSioN

ColD_FusSioN What's a Dremel?

you may want to check the A.C. voltage where is connected the wireless access point...

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Which encryption are you using? i.e WEP/WPA.

7. the1maxim

the1maxim What's a Dremel?

Its WEP encryption.

The wireless are usb.

I have a cordless phone but its only 900 megahertz.

8. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Bah thats the first thing I would drop is that WEP. All you need to do is stop broad casting the SSID and change its name. Thats enough security for a home network imo, if someone really wants your information badly enough no WEP is going to stop them.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

A wep key does offer some protection from the casual 'hacker', but ultimately it's just a deterrent. The same goes for mac filtering and that's supposedly dead easy to bypass with mac spoofing.

10. szlater

szlater What's a Dremel?

Do you leave you front door unlocked too? Afterall, if someone really wants your TV and video that badly a little door isn't going to stop them. :eyebrow:

11. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Thats not exactly apples to apples...but ill go with it.

If I could make my house invisible then they couldnt find the front door now could they?

Tags: