1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows xbox format hard drive readable in windows?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by h4r7y, 19 Apr 2005.

1. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

i want to take out the xbox hard drive ive got and swap it for a slighter smaller one, can i see the info on my pc and just transfer it to my pc's drive and then on to the replacement drive for the xbox?

2. the1maxim

the1maxim What's a Dremel?

Is the xbox modded?

If so, your best bet would be to FTP everything from your XBOX to your PC, then get an auto-installer cd like Slayers to format the new drive, and ftp everything back.

3. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

well im changing the hard drive out of the xbox for one ive got in my pc, so its easier to have both drives under windows for a few hours rather than ftp everything over.
    anyone deffo know if itll work?

4. brandonvb

brandonvb What's a Dremel?

to use your xbox hd in a pc, you must first unlock it.

let me get this straight... your putting a smaller hd in the xbox? why?

i got a 250gb in my xbox. its the only way to go.

::edit::

and you must make sure the hd you put into the xbox is compatible with it

and, if you have connected to xbox live with the harddrive you have, you will be banned when you connect with a different hd in the box.

5. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

never been on live, the hard drive has never been locked as it wasnt the original drive from it.
    i dont need the space on my xbox, ive only got about 40gb of stuff, so i may as well use a smaller drive than the 120gb thats already in it.

im just gonna give it a go and see, i just thought someone might have done it before.

6. brandonvb

you should have no problems using it as a pc hd, just windows cant recognize the 3 fatx partitions on the xbox hd, you will need to format it to use it within windows.

if you need to get stuff off your xbox hd, i do suggest the ftp method, as you cant just drag-n-drop files within windows.

i do believe there is some type of xbox hd copy program, it would require you to hook up bolth hd's to your xbox, one in place of the dvd. if you wanna do this, i can see if i can find it.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2005
  7. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

oh right ok, well in that case mate ill have to ftp all the stuff off it, doh!
    thanks alot for telling me before i tear it all apart
    :)

dont worry about that proggy, ill do it the old fashioned way, but thx anyways

8. novicebb

novicebb What's a Dremel?

What kind of hard drives will be compatible with the xbox? I would be interested in installing an 80gb or a 120gb drive if possible.

9. brandonvb

ok, maybe compatible was the wrong word, every harddrive essentialy WILL work in the xbox. but, if you want to be able to lock it (so you can use the default dashboard, and play on live) you need one that is 'lockable'

this list should help you in choosing the right hd.
    http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

10. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

i cant recall locking my hard drive i put into my xbox, and it used to boot to the MS dash when i needed to do it.

11. brandonvb

err, again, wrong wording...

i meant to boot the default bios, it must be locked, you can boot the default dashboard on a hacked bios with the drive unlocked, but for the retail bios (and xbox love), it MUST be locked.

Tags: