1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ways to paint

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bboy_Jon, 24 Apr 2005.

1. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

Ok well i tried to go for a mirror finish, sucked big time, i cant use clear coat on the chrome paint i have, so what are some easier methods of painting to get a decent finish (shiny somewhat mirrory) and is easy and doesnt require too much sanding

cuz i seriously fuked up and im sick of this crap

the first panel turned out fine

[​IMG]

but then on the top panel and the other side panel WTF!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im not suppose to use clear coat on the paint i have (same brand too its just the type of paint i cant use clear coat on) and so i cant sand the color coat since it will crap up and lose its metalic effect so im suppose to put clear coat on and sand it for the mirror finish

but ya pleaase help!

2. Enforcer

Enforcer What's a Dremel?

are the front and top panels plastic?

you also need to know if the paint erodes anything!

the surface needs to b clean and prepd before painting aswell!

3. Liquid Steele

Liquid Steele What's a Dremel?

Damn I agree friend that is really messed up, I hate to say this cause after all of the time and effort you have involved, I would sand that paint off and repaint with another type of paint. if you are not dead set on a metallic color try KRYLON FUSION or maybe think about having it professionally painted with a metallic silver.

Sorry that did not work for you I know disappointing that can be when you are all excited about something and as you are spraying it you can just see your whole plan come apart.

4. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Mate, you cannot get a good paintjob without sanding, if you're gonna paint, be prepared to do a lot of sanding, simple.

That is seriously nasty :eeek: Must be so frustrating for you, having done all the work and then it coming out like that :wallbash:

I would do what another member said, sand it right back and re do it, it's cliche but a quality paintjob is all in the prep work. Put effort and time into the preperation stages and it will show in the final product.

I'm no expert but maybe something went wrong with the conditions you were painting in? Too humid maybe? I don't know what produces a result like that.

Good luck:)

5. Machine

Machine What's a Dremel?

did you used primer?, IMO looks like you aplied too much paint on a single coat, also maybe a bad quality brand.

6. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

the only way to get a mirror finish without using clear coat-

wet dry
    wet dry
    wet dry

geting finer and finer each time, untill it feels totaly smooth to the touch

primer coat 1
    wet dry - very light grade. remove any dust with a damp cloth
    primer coat 2
    wet dry - ultra light grade. remove any dust with a damp cloth

Top coat1
    depending on how it dryed you may need to use the ultra light grade wet dry again here.
    Top coat2

then
    use car T-cut applied as stated on the bottel.
    and then use car polish of the same colour as the paint.

this leaves you with a mirror finsih paint job without using clear coat. and which is also pritty resliant to knocks and scratches.

but it does take a very long time to do. but you can never get a good paint job without putting the effort in.

7. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

i did, the prime was smooth and nice and well im just not suppose to apply clear coat to the chrome paint i had :wallbash:

8. 25188201

25188201 What's a Dremel?

If you have the time and access to the equipment ( apaint gun and a compressor) get it painted wit 2pac paint (the stuff they paint cars with). It will cost a bit more, it's around £20 a litre, but will be very tough and can be buffed up to an awesome shine with something like turtlewax.

9. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

well no need to buy expensive brands, any lacquer paint will work. Lacquers are easy to airbrush on, but are highly toxic. They dry fast and are really resiliant.

10. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

thats a bummer its a reaction between the chrome and clear coat, It also soudns like with the chrome spray if you sand it it goes really dull, You could try a differents sort of clear coat, but have you tried experimenting with say wet sanding the color up to 2000 grit and then polishing it. I always use a little test piece for my paints to make sure everything works and I can get the finish I want.
    but if you can't clear coat the chrome paint, and if sanding it takes off the top layer (which is usually what makes it shiny) have you considered polishing the Case? or something similar

11. Ogami Itto

Ogami Itto What's a Dremel?

It looks like the paint is seperating. This could be caused by three things :-

1) A reaction between the paint and the orginal paint on the case (if no paint read protective coating)

2) A reaction between the paint and the clearcoat

3) The paint was not mixed enough before spraying.

My Suggestion :-

Re-sand the panel again and get rid of all the paint that you have already put on. Use a low grit 240 or something as it will be quicker to get the paint off.

Then use something up to 1200 grit to prepare it prior to sanding (paint can easily hide 800 - 1200 grit sand paper but if you use any higher i.e. 2000 paint can have problems adhering to the surface)

Before spraying place the spray can in a bowl of hot water (not boiling) for 10-15 minutes. Take the can out and dry then shake for a furthur 2-3 minutes before spraying, this should get the can nice and warm and well mixed before spraying. CAUTION!! make sure the water is not so hot that you cannot put your hand in as you may cause the spray can to explode due to getting it too hot.

12. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

Yeah, you can't paint chrome paint AFAIK (with one exception)

I had the same problem with reaction previously. alsacorp.com makes various chrome paints that are beautiful, look just like the real thing but are big bucks. They also have a clear for it. Speedclear I think.

You can get a mirror finish on paint or pretty close to it. Here's pics of my car interior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First, you need to sand the surface flat with something like 400 grit. Most of my experience is with plastic so if your painting something different, you might get different results, but prep is key regardless.

I then wet sand with 600, 800, 1000 and maybe 1500 grit sandpaper.
    Clean it well and use some prep spray on it to throughly remove any contaminants.

For plastic, I used Duplicolor Adhesion promoter to help the paint stick.
    I used two light coats.

Then I used Duplicolor auto touchup paint (spraycans). Usually 3 or 4 medium coats.

Then I wet sand that with something like 600/800 and then 1000 and possible 1500 grit. Depends on the piece. Then I use 3m rubbing compound followed by
    Menzerna Intensive Polish, followed by Menzerna Final Polish.

Then prepped again and did the clear coat and finished that up the same way.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2005
  13. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

ya i heard about alsa but ya its expensive

ya sanding removes the shiny layer so the chrome would end up a gray

but ya polishing

[​IMG]

clear coat made it more blurry but ya, id polish but i have some bondoed spots (not too big) on the side with the dragon, i can take the bondo out itll still look fine but ya

heres the bondoed mouth

[​IMG]

heres without bondo

heres a better polish without clear coat

[​IMG]

and heres without bondo

[​IMG]

doesnt nlook bad without the bondo, i have a few other spots where i scratched with the dremel but its no big and wont show up too much

so u think i should remove the bondo and polish?

14. shotgunefx

Nothing behind the bondo? I've used the bondo spot putty, but not yet the filler. I'm not sure how much you can work it, but you might be able to polish the bondo area paint if your really, really gently. Not sure though.

15. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

no i mean totally scrape off all paint and polish, u cant polish the bondo

16. shotgunefx

Did you not paint over the bondo? That's what I was getting at, polishing the paint job. If you want to polish the metal itself, then yeah, the bondo has to go.

17. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

o ya ive painted the bondo already, the pics i gave are older ones before painting :D

18. shotgunefx

So what's there currently? The chrome paint and clear coat?

19. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

ya the paint and clear

20. shotgunefx

You probably want to sand it off and redo it for best results IMHO.