1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 6600GT On Drugs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by webbyman, 24 Apr 2005.

1. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

well i changed a few settings in Far cry... now half the stuff on there looks asif it's menna be on drugs or something... :worried:

any ideas... or is this normal :blah: :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

also would it be a good thing to mention, that it's hit the 90's (*c) once maybe twice...

also it look's fine in most parts :rolleyes:

is it a problem with setting's or memory? *mebbe drivers?

2. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

ive had this problem with my 6800nu, i installed farcry and messed about with settings, then it looked axactly like yours.
    i installed doom3 and it ran fine so i wouldnt say its your gfx card at all.
    ive not installed farcry again so i cant say anything yet.

i hope its not our cards!

:)

3. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

It isn't the card. I had the same problem. Get patch 1.3 and then set the settings to max and adjust AA till the framerate suits you. It worked for me ;)

4. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

so is it just a bug that happens without the 1.3 patch?

5. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:D thanks, i was thinking it should be something like that, since all my other games played fine :baby:

i thought i installed the 1.3 patch in the end but realy i just left it on my desktop for about a month along with 1.31 i downloaded and remembered i needed the 1.3 patch installed first... :hehe: :duh: so i will install it now :D

also two questions how do you show your fps in far cry and how do you turn on HDR i tryed earlyer but it said the command didn't exist :worried:

:thumb:

6. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

for HDR, pull up the console (type `)and type:
    Code:
    \r_hdrrendering #
    where # is the HDR mode. 7 looks nicer but 1 or 3 is less power hungry. Higher number seems to be higher load. There's probably a way to show fps too, try googling for "far cry console commands" or something. I try not to because you also find cheat codes that I really don't want to know about, it takes all the fun out of a game knowing what the godmode command is ;)

I donno if it's a bug fixed in the 1.3 patch, I just patched the game and it worked for me :D

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

you need to be using at least FarCry patch 1.1 in order for it to render correctly on a GeForce 6 series video card.

8. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i have installed 1.3 now and installing 1.31 also i hate it when your playing online, and you know people are blatently all cheating against you :waah: ever y 30 seconds you see atleast 1 person getting caught cheating, and im sure it seems to lag the game because of it...

I'll be back with an 'im all ok' edit in a min...

Edit: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Yum Yum! :D
    it just became the shexyist game i have played.

edit of the edit: Jesus christ now i can understand what i payed me £140 for :jawdrop: *drools* i havent stoped drooling since i started playing... and HDR is amazing... :rock: Now i know why i didn't buy a sucky ati card :baby:

1 thing... Far cry has closed twice randomly :waah: i think it's trying to say it's unstable but god knows why... :worried: :confused:

Last edited: 24 Apr 2005
  9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Far cry has been bugging out for me lately, too. Then again, I haven't upgraded it at all (I think I'm still running on 1.0) and it is giving me some very interesting shadings. For instance, right before the carrier on the first island, There is a sandbar that looks like someone leaked oil on it. The whole thing is this dingy grey color, but in a perfect square. ;) Gotta love rendering issues.

And if you want to see pretty, crank up Half-Life 2 on your system now...you won't be disappointed... :) Personally, I think its graphics put doom3 and farcry both to shame. Of course, I'm also eagerly anticipating the release of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., too.

10. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

well my 6800nu doesnt do as good a job than my old 6600gt in farcry, ive even tried enabling hdr and it doesnt look as good as it did before. im up to 1.3 now so its up to date.
    could it be a driver issue? im on the newest ones, when i had my 6600gt i had the older 66.99's i think or there abouts.
    the textures seem to be getting loaded very late and lumpy looking too.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't think that any of them are a clear winner in terms of image quality, or awesome graphics.

Doom 3 is more of an atmosphere game than a graphics game IMHO, but the models are pretty good. Half-Life 2's large outdoor landscapes are nice, but there's something about them that disappoints me. I can't lay a thumb on exactly what it is though... I think it's related to distance clipping - it clips too much detail too soon.

FarCry is a very pretty game, and the facial expressions are close to what was achieved in Half-Life 2, albeit a little earlier than when HL2 finally shipped. The HDR Rendering is nice, but it is not the best out there - Splinter Cell's HDR is so much nicer, but the game is let down by cartoon-style faces on the enemies - a bit of a shame really, because the game is very rounded on the graphical side of things if you disregard that.

Chronicles Of Riddick has some nice graphics too, just there's some aspects that could be better - the texture shimmering that is present on both ATI and NVIDIA hardware is a little disappointing. One that is often overlooked is Rome: Total War - looks superb when you crank everything up to full whack.

12. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

When i first saw hl2 graphics on my pc :jawdrop: when i first saw the real far cry gfx on my pc :jawdrop: but when i saw splinter cell's graphics, i can't realy say i was amazingly impress :sigh: although they do look great... i think it has something to do with playing splinter cell on xbox, and not looking much different... :worried:

*also the closing down of far cry stopped :worried: :D *

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

are you referring to the previous versions of Splinter Cell, or the latest one? The current version is the one I am referring to.

14. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

See, I haven't played the new Splinter Cell yet. I was in love with Farcry from a distance, then I saw that the majority of the foliage was essentially just sprite bases. That almost made me cry, to have come so far in advances to look at essentially a glorified GIF turning with me (a la Doom 2). :( I am still forever disappointed with the weapon/arm model, as well. For all the technology, you'd think they could put a few more polys in there.

Doom 3 is all about atmosphere, I'll acknowledge, and particularly the lighting (or absence of) is beautiful. I love the game, just wish we could see more of it. The darkness serves a purpose, but at the same time the engine screams to be used to a (less dismal?) different purpose to really show it off.

Biggles's comment about the outside atmosphere in HL2 I have to agree with. It's hard to put a finger on it, but it's almost that its outside is so beautiful, but the lighting just doesn't seem to play right on your character (or the little you can see of him). It makes the whole thing look just ever-so-slightly off. It also doesn't help that you move at an inhuman rate, even before run! I kept thinking I had my run key on all the time (before I remembered HL only lets you sprint short distances). The clip distance is also waaay too short.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2005
Tags: