1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Close Call!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Krikkit, 24 Apr 2005.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Praise the lord for decent motherboards - my NF7-S v2.0 saved me from killing a Mobile Barton yesterday after mis-fitting my new SP97. Switched it on, and the mobo just switched it back off again! Didn't even heat the core at all, it somehow knew... :\

Anyway - let this be a lesson to all, buy a good mobo. :) :thumb:

2. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Man I imagine you feel sooo good about spending those extra dollars on that motherboard.

3. Neo4

Neo4 What's a Dremel?

4. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Nice, good mobo is so important. :thumb:

5. TMM

TMM Modder

i bet it did heat up to extreme temps before it turned off ;). You'd be surprised how quickly CPUs heat up without heatsinks properly attached.

6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

in about 20 seconds that can be toast :eeek:

7. (spc)kuhnkejer

(spc)kuhnkejer What's a Dremel?

yeah your lucky. I once trun my computer on and forgot to trun my pump on and well lets just say I lost about 300.00 bucks that day

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

More like .20 seconds. I mean load up CPU burn and see how your temps shoot up in all of five seconds, and that's with an active heatsink.

sucks about the watercooling (spc)... that's why I love 12v pumps.

9. Nathan Ford

Nathan Ford What's a Dremel?

Your one of the lucky ones. My brother and I were putting my new (old now) system together and he forgot to plug the Heatsink Fan in. My chip fried!

10. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

That is luck.

I forgot to turn on the pump for my system :duh: it was running for 2 hours before I noticed.

CPU temp was only at 40oC when I noticed....man I love water cooling!

11. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

wow... what additives do you use in the water to make it conduct that well?

12. nick[x1]

nick[x1] What's a Dremel?

I remember my first proper build, amd xp 2100, pop straight away because i put the hs/f on the wrong way lol
    They pop almost instantly if there is no shutoff feauture which in those days i dont think existed

13. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Its just Demineralised water and 5% Zerex...still cant believe it!

Sorry for the hijack

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I made my Duron pink :D

I was playing and suddenly computer freezed. It didn't shut down but it freezed.. I waited a while and pressed ctrl alt del etc.

Then I shut it down and looked in.. Coolerfan had broke up and didn't spin at all :D heatsink were about 60-70c (burned my hand easily) I had to wait before removing it! Can just wonder how hot core has been when heatsink is 70c...

It anyways survived! I guess pink color in core comes from thermal stuff when it burns.

15. kye

kye What's a Dremel?

I remember once...i accidentally turned on my PC with just the heatsink on. I wanted to know how loud a 60mm delta was...but, i forgot to put on the CPU fan. i only knew it was fanless when it was half way though boot, so...i held the 60mm fan over the heatsink intil i turned off the PC :rock:

16. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Why not just pull the plug? Much safer than risking the cpu from frying.

17. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

My brother had a lot of luck with his CPU.
    He mounted it wrong, he turned it 180 degrees. And that way it looks to sit nicely on the CPU, but it was only half on. He turned that thing many times on, and it freezed every time. Lucky he didn't blew it up by half cooling it.

Later, on a lanparty, he wasn't that lucky. he blew his grafic card up. He turned it on, and after a while an awefull smeel came out of his box. He turned it of, and saw that one little component of his card was fried. Bad luck. When he started teh system, the monitors stayed blank.

Lucky for him, i just bought a new one, and had the old one with me. But swithing cards brings problems. At least he was able to play a bit, but he missed a lot.

When he started up his system at home, guess what: she was alive. It seemed that the component fried was of the VGA signal, and his second monitor on the DVI connector was working fine. That way he missed most of the lanparty. About bad luck.

But bad luck strikes me to, but aside from crashing drivers, partition tables and BIOSes, it rarely goes well on a lanparty. The first one was all about driver problem, the second was a bit more complex.

My keyboard and mouse just got dead while I was playing. A replacement keyboard didn't do the job. Conclusion: Motherboard PS/2 circuit fried.
    Tried an USB set, but then the Windows kernel was gone bad and replacing it wasn't helping.

Then, I remembered one jumper on the mobo that could give teh keyboard and mouse 5V when turned off. And seeing the jumper I saw the problem: it came off, cutting off the voltage for the PS/2 components. Placing it back turned everything to normal again. I missed 7 hours of a lanparty. Too bad.

But at least I never fried hardware (except one USB stick, reversing + and - internal, but warranty still worked :hehe: ). But keeping it working is another thing. Even now, I still can't keep my drivers working.

Soon, I'm going to install my Watercooling, so expect a new topic around here :D

18. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i'v done it before... before it even get's to windows my dad's must have went up to about 80*c :hehe: and it still had the head sink