1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux 64-Bit linux OS

Discussion in 'Software' started by 25188201, 27 Apr 2005.

1. 25188201

25188201 What's a Dremel?

Is it worth changing over to a 64-bit operating system and will the difference in performance really be noticeable?
    Also would a linux operating system as oposed to trying the BETA version of windows xp x64 be a better option? anybody used a 64-bit os yet?

Thanks

2. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I would say it isn't worth it yet, unless you are using a specific app that is already enabled for 64bit.

A good few Linux distros have 64bit support out of the box, and all can have it added in (compile a new kernel), but bear in mind that very few apps are enabled for 64 bit (although the lesser 32bit versions will happily work).

Although saying that I've never used 64bit (except in Sun stuff), so that's just my inexperienced opinion!

3. Renko

Renko What's a Dremel?

I tried 64bit Fedora and yeah it seemed a little bit snappier but getting certain things to run was a pain in the ass. When I started having to do some low level driver stuff I had to give up and go back to 32bit.

Life is just that little bit simpler in 32bit.

However 64bit linux was definitely more complete than I expected and the only hardware problems I had were trying to get sound running smoothly - but it did run. I would say give it a go, I stuck it for about 6 months before I was forced to go back and tbh it's still on my machine somehwere so I may go back when I finish the driver stuff.

4. 25188201

would you advise Trying fedora then?

5. Renko

Renko What's a Dremel?

Hmmm... Was not really impressed by fedora. Becuase of it's ties to redhat they leave out annoying things like mp3 support which you'll have to install yourself.

What level are you at? I'd say if you're a Novice then go for Ubuntu or mandrake (both of which I have experience of in 32 bit, Ubuntu is a joy to use, mandrake feels more powerfull but is also brilliantly simple) non-novice then go for debian if their 64 bit is ready.

It's not a comprehensive list, just what I have experience of/my current thinking and would recommend.

6. 25188201

ok well i'm still a bit of a novice :worried: so i'll give Mandrake a go,
    How is mandrake for drivers?

7. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

lol

well basically more than fine :D

ah ha i just remembered your wanting to go 64bit :duh: in that case it's not great, although im talking from without experience...

8. cbr

cbr What's a Dremel?

With a 64bit system things like Flash and Openoffice won't work. It may be snappier and most packages run under 64bit but I'd personally give it a bit time to mature. It's a bit too rough but things are getting better.

9. centered effect

centered effect What's a Dremel?

I sold my AMD64 box because of the dissapointment in 64-bit software, hence none. I was using Ubuntu 64, which seemed more responsive than other 64 bit OS. But most of the programs I use are not 64 bit enabled (design and 3d software) so I will wait again till something comes out.

10. cbr

cbr What's a Dremel?

So why the hell did you sell the AMD64? It's one of the fastest 32bit processors anyway even without 64bit...

Tags: