1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official New Design Thread

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by :: kna ::, 2 May 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTT

RTT #parp

Isn't reliable enough really, which puts me off trying to do that.

I've obviously no idea of your surfing habbits but for the last year that size banner is almost standard across the web now!

Then don't come here - simple as that. It takes the piss that you're willing to go so far and won't take the ads as a small price to pay for a free website. Page turners wont make a difference to us or our revenue - unique IPs count only. And is a waste of our bandwidth too. I can't believe you'll go so far as to attempt to modify a browser to get around this.

2. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

You guys started this form scratch last weekend? That was a fast redesign :eek:

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I see these comments, and I see where everyone's coming from, but I just want to say this.

I appreciate the work it took to do this.

I helped with PimpRig v2.0, and I rmember tracing bugs, trying to deal with complaints, and all that BS. I didn't even code it. I drew a few pictures that grew into some stuff that was used. But I got bashed along with the design when it didn't autodownload people pr0n and call their wife when they were late.

I just am thankful you guys are here. Bit is about the content, and there just seems to be a more conducive atmosphere here than most places, mostly due to its UK background. I've always loved Brits, had a few as roomies in college even. To me, so long as the content is the same, you can install bonzi buddy (new and improved with pron that pops up just when your girlfriend looks at the screen) and AOL at the same time and I'll look.

I may not have much standing here, but I do feel loyal, and I want to express my gratitude.

Good day, all...

4. RTT

RTT #parp

No problem

/tired/grumpy

:)

5. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

i noticed the light blue at the top right next to the Bt logo is a bit odd..

6. RTT

RTT #parp

I've no idea who gave that impression but it took us a lot longer than that :D

7. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

i can get used to the dark color scheme in the forums. but the white background and reply boxes look so bad. as do the side banners and giant top bar. i like roto's idea, but the background still needs changing. something more like this:[​IMG]

8. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Rich,
    its 25 lines of C#, i don't like doing stuff like this, i consider it theft :(

i'm sorry its come to this but i regret you might be right, i never liked your main competitors because of intrusive advertising, and i do feal you've taken two steps back.

now i know forum servers aren't cheap to run, but so much advertising as to pay for the articals, isn't cool.

Page turners should get you a fairly good pay. I used to work for an advertising firm, now this was a while back now mind, (advertising, i know i was only young, you can't hold it against me).

but i think that by having the bigger logo, so the banner add gets its own line, is hurting your image, as the logo isn't obvious enough.

Its obvious you guys work hard on this, and its shame what its come too.

9. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Heh, when did you guys start redesigning? :naughty:

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

theft of what? The contents of your post? Didn't you read the disclaimer when you signed up?

So we just do this in our spare time, right? I don't think you understand how much work goes on behind the scenes in order to keep bit-tech running on a daily basis.

Page turners - if I think I know what you mean - are evil, intrusive, and quite frankly unethical, arguably worse that popups.

11. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Well, judging by what RTT said earlier, I'm assuming sometime in January or even earlier. *waits for RTT to correct me*
    EDIT: And quit your whining about the ads for f**k's sake. They've said they needed more ads to keep this place up and running, so there will be more ads. I know I don't have as much history as some of the rest of you, but I sure as hell don't want Bit-Tech to go down the pisser. Ads are a tiny price to pay.

Last edited: 3 May 2005
  12. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

no i mean my blocking your adverts theft (because i'm not paying for bw, and ur sponsers wouldn't pay you for impressions)

Yes they are worse than popups, but if you need more money for articals (it wasn't a BT staff who sugested that thou) i'd rather have horrible advertising on the articals, and only one banner add, that dosen't have its own 8square inches of my screen!

i'm not meaning to be un-grateful, or sugest this is running outa some guys back room.

i'm just complaining about the adds for the forum, thats all, as i said in another thread i wouldn't mind paying like £10 per anum to go back to how it was 2 weeks ago.

13. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    what about something as simple as this. In newspaper there is a rule in designing layouts. It is "If you use a column use it all or not at all". That blue space to the right is a nono. Unforturnaly i would rather have it there than no BT. I could hardly live the few days it was down.

Last edited: 3 May 2005
  14. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

I like it, especially the quick reply box ath the bottom. I dont realy care about it not having lots of eye candy (actually I prefer it, I realy dislike lots of eyecandy, can make a good site look like it was designed by 12year olds. But I realy like the new navigation, will make it soo much easier to find what you want. The old site was a bit annoying with one bit for articles, and no quicklinks to the bit you want.

15. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

My suggestion for the right google ad and such would be to do it horizontal and do it under the top box and the second one above the bottom blue bar.

16. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Well, um, it is better than the old one, but I was kind of expecting something, you know, nice looking? Not to insult all the people who have put a whole lot of hard work into this, but the color scheme of both the site and the forums is pretty naff imo.

The layout and stuff is nice though, just for the love of God change the colors!

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

The dark version is quite well balanced yes, but please integrate the old skin if possible!

18. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

once again another forum so called changed for the better**shakes head**

please brign back the old forum......god damned ads are taking over everthing

OLD FORMS PROTEST---[​IMG]

Long Live The Old Bit-Tech :sigh:

Duggy :dremel:

19. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I still think the old VB2 skin was the best imo, but each to his own. I really don't like VB3...

20. RTT

RTT #parp

Google is pay-per-click, and as such in the bottom location wont be clicked, just looked at. How often have you read the copyright notice? :)

Also, we're often given specifications by people buying ads. Must be visible without scrolling is usually the case... much like (for example) kids breakfast cereals that pay for the bottom shelf in the supermarket where kids will see the cereals easiest.

Betcha didn't know that about ads ;) It's not an easy game at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.