1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Rogue 5 :>o<: Back from dead w/mess o' pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bandit_zoraK, 17 Feb 2005.

1. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

i first dislike that thing I don`t now why but it look terrible but know it painted is realy nice man keep on going!!

2. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

i really like the paint job! I'd stay away from the angled alu though. I doin't think it would fit the theme. I don't remember seeing rivets on any star wars spacecraft either, but they never really get close enough for you to tell :p

As an afterthought, would you consider adding a motor/servo to R2D2's dome and make it rotate in random patterns? I'm sure someone here has the knowlede of how to put something like that together.

3. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

First of all, thanks everybody, I appreciate it!

Yeah rivets are probably not used as everything is all high tech (even in the 70s) but that is ok, it gives it kind of the gritty feel that I was going for.

As for the servo, I draw your attention to my 2nd post in the log ( :idea: )...
    Anyways, great idea you got there! Right now I am painting the top piece, and I will take/post some pics once the paint dries. Peace :thumb:

4. Novakog

Novakog What's a Dremel?

Alright, first off, nice mod! Painting, cutting, the whole thing is excellently (is that a word?) done!

Second, you have the same cats as I do! Check it out!

5. Bandit_zoraK

Nice cats :thumb: , although my big furry one is a bit older and fatter than the "twins" but that's funny. Must be clones or something...

6. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Really good, really good.

7. mondriaan

mondriaan What's a Dremel?

:confused: Where are those new updates? :confused:

8. Bandit_zoraK

Sorry, been busy with school, look for an update this weekend!

9. Ronin

Ronin What's a Dremel?

****ing awesome that is what i am working on now something similar.

10. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I demand updates. Btw the case you and I have is no longer for sale at newegg.

11. Redwolf

Redwolf Supermodel

not a big fan of star wars [originals are awsome new ones suck] but cool project.

12. ZeroHerO

ZeroHerO What's a Dremel?

Being both a MOD and a Star Wars fan Ijust love this Mod, I can´t wait to see more :)

ZeroHerO

13. Redwolf

Redwolf Supermodel

If you can make R2D2 move and make those noises that its a badass case.

14. pc-modd.dk

pc-modd.dk What's a Dremel?

Very nice i like it alot...

15. mondriaan

mondriaan What's a Dremel?

please, please give us some more updates :waah:

16. Bandit_zoraK

I have put some work in but Argh its finals week so next week I should be pretty much free to get more work done and post some pics.
    On that note, I did go buy the bolts for the windows as well as the acrylic itself, so when that arrives expect an update! :thumb:

17. Bandit_zoraK

OMG finally an update

Well it has been entirely too long since an update, but as I said I have had a busy month and a half. I have been working on things here and there on this, mainly just starting somethings as once I get about half finished with something I realize there is something I need to get online or something because there aren't a lot of specialty stores (electronics, etc) around here. Anyways...

Here is some progress shots of the top of the case. I think I have showed some pics of the top with the rectangle cut out, but this is some more work.
    [​IMG]

I painted the top kind of weirdly (real word?), but with reason. The back parts (bottom) line up with the stripes on the sides and the front ones (top/middle) line up with the lcd mount thing.
    [​IMG]

R2 showing the initial shinyness of the paint job, but as usual- it's too shiny! Gave it the old carbon scoring treatment and added some stuff, which is seen in the final pics of this update.
    [​IMG]

The square bit that is cut out was done with reason as will be seen in the pics @ the end of the post.
    [​IMG]

Moving on- I have some ideas with what to do with the front panel which I won't go into any great detail on, but at the bottom there was originally holes as exhaust or intake for a fan. I cut that out with plans of making my own grill...here are two that I have done. Let me know which you think is better!

First I made the "INCOM T-65B" grill shown below, which is very rough and upon painting, broke at two narrow spots. Chaulk this one up to s**tty plex from Ace. I like the design and depending my thoughts and opinions of the readers I would potentially redo this using some of the smoked acrylic that is actually nicer to work with.
    [​IMG]

Oops!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second one I made, and am fond of simply because the time and effort I put into filing (and filing and filing and filing). It is based loosely upon the intake portions of the x-wing's engines as well as the vent parts on the lasers. This one is made from the smoked stuff and it is much stronger stuff.
    Based on:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe some metal behind it like so:
    [​IMG]

For the front panel power, I am debating on using this guy- I picked it up @ ratshack for 5 bucks so no big loss if I don't use it. If I did use it, it would be because of the snub fighter effect that I am going for and this seems pretty cliche of what is in fighters.
    [​IMG]

Initially I though that the smoked acrylic that I bought from cutting edge case mods was going to be a bit darker (i.e. very little light passes through without illumination) but that is ok.

With this thought in mind however I whipped this pic up in photoshop which I was considering putting behind the right side rebel cutout window where you couldn't see it until some "cockpit" lighting was engaged showing it through the window. I might order some new stuff- I think I found some on usplasitics.com but I don't want to buy without know what it looks like. So,does anybody know, with pics, what the black (not opaque though) acrylic is called and where I can pick some up?
    Photoshop:
    [​IMG]

Print-out:
    [​IMG]

18. Bandit_zoraK

In a post in the modding section I asked about those x-wing buttons that control the targeting computer, etc. I decided to make some out of a 5.25" bay, with some bicolor leds and flip-flops (don't have a schematic yet, but I know what needs to be done) to control some stuff, although I am not even sure about that yet! Lighting? Fans? something else? Who knows...

Heres the bay cover itself
    [​IMG]

Here are the buttons painstakingly beveled and filed and frosted.
    [​IMG]

Here they are together.
    [​IMG]

Here they are put together- you can kind of get an idea of where I am going with this.
    [​IMG]

As the actual switches, I used a few (4 actually) happs cherry switches left over from my arcade cabinet. I used some sheet aluminum to fasten them down- very rough I know but it works.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some nice shots of the top together as referenced above, nothing wired or working yet but I added some text to the lcd mount and next to r2.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up: I have to figure out a way to hold the buttons into the bay cover while also allowing them enough give the actually trigger the switches. I also need to order all the chips and components needed to get this working. Going to give a paint job to the front once I get the buttons (and the fan control- secret) finished up. If you made it through all that, congrats. And thanks for any and all input/feedback.

19. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

wow nice work!

20. Bandit_zoraK

Any thoughts on which style of grill I should use?