1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding case from scratch plans, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jopers1986, 5 May 2005.

1. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

This is just an idea i have for a micro-ATX PC i'm building, i was gonna get an aria -qpack, but thought it would be much more fun to build one from scratch!!

i was thinkin about building it all from wood, of maybe wood and perspex, not sure yet!

the idea i have below is all wood, with small windows over the processing units, where the rubes for the coolin will come out.

one of the fans on the front and side will be the rad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

I like the idea, I'm not a fan of woodgrain though, but I'll give you some credit and let you get started before I poopoo it

3. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

lol, thanks, i want it to fit in with my room, so it either has to be white, black or a dark wood!

4. Seanz0rz

Seanz0rz What's a Dremel?

i have done 1 proto wood pc. if this is planned as a performance rig, i would have to suggest against it. the wood is a massive insulator, and cooling that is like cooling 2 normal rigs.

if i were you, i would build it out of metal, either Al or steel. you could even use wood to afix them together, but that wood is just bad.

also, wondering what you drew that with. i use a program thats older than me and doesnt run on win xp.

5. MiLwOrkZ

MiLwOrkZ What's a Dremel?

The wood is a great idea i have nothing against it and the fact that wood is a really good insulator the water cooling and maybe a Tornado or X2 regular 120's is really all you would need to cool that baby down :thumb: . ( :rock: trust me i have a wood computer made out of 84 lbs of BLOODWOOD -FULL TOWER- :rock: )

One thing i noticed on your 3d renderings is that you have not shown or compensated for the thickness of the wood which would really screw up yourself in the building process :wallbash: ! That top looks like 4" once your put either 1/2" or 3/4" wood up for the walls you lost almost and inch or more :waah: !

You could do an all aluminum construction and then use an oak, walnut, ebony, bloodwood, purpleheart, and etc. veneer to cover it :thumb: ! But aluminum plate gets reall expensive especialy how much you might need :waah: !

6. Springs

Springs Boing boing

just a heads up.. if u didnt no there is a sketchup thread on bit-tech that houses loads of components for designing cases...

7. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

yer, i'm starting to think against it all now, dont' really have enough time, the reason i was think about using wood is that i know how to work it, as i've used it loads for other projects (no pc related) i havn't got a clue how to use metal!!!

and thanks for the heads up spings :)

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

lol wood is no problem it makes about 1 or 2c temp difference as hardley any heat is transfered through the skin of the case. the only place wood makes a big differance is hard disks which do transmit some heat to the chassies but you can easily get a heatpipe cooler to fix that. Also you don't have to have loads of time to mod just set aside a few hours a week and although it might take 6months it will be a fun ride :)

9. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

Next design

Right, have decided against that idea, and now this is my next layout, which i think is much more appealing!

it's basically i compact tower, exactly the same as one you could probably buy out there any way :naughty: but, it's mine.... :D it has a front perspex pannel, where the 120mm rad will be, the rest of the case is made out of some other material, not decided on yet :hehe:

what you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Springs

Springs Boing boing

looking at that.. have you left enough room for the heatsink/fan to get enough air to it.? cant really tell from those angles...

you could also raise the bottom up a bit to save a bit of space but i cant see a HDD in there... have u made room for that?

11. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

i'm using watercooling, so the space above the DVD drive is for the HDD and the rest of the watercoolin stuff (on the cpu, i'll use elbow joints so the tubes can come straight out saving space!

12. Springs

Springs Boing boing

ahh didnt realise it was watercooling.... i new the 1st one was but didnt realise this one was.. clears a few things up..

13. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

it looks liek a lot of air will go into the PSU, i would add another fan with a duct on it to divert the air to the processor/mobo area. just a thought.

14. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

yer good point, maybe using one of those coolermaster crossflow fans would be good!

15. radek

radek What's a Dremel?

I din't see your hard drive in this design...

16. nookie

nookie What's a Dremel?

where is the harddisk sitting? is it on top of the cd drive?

17. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

yer, i was planning on having it on the dvd drive!

also i put a window into the plan:

[​IMG]