1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit-tech exit poll

Discussion in 'General' started by Xen0phobiak, 5 May 2005.

?

Who did you vote for?

Poll closed 4 Jun 2005.
  1. Conservatives

23 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Labour

24 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Liberal Democrats

42 vote(s)
    25.5%
  4. UKIP

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Green

5 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. BNP

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. Not Voting

25 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. Other

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. Defacing/Blank Ballot

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  10. Can't Vote

31 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. penski

penski BodMod

How far back would you like to go?

WWII?
    WWI?

We could go further back: The napoleonic wars?

*n

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

After I posted, I knew I would get this answer. That's why I edited it.

The point I (badly) tried to make is that people have died for *the right* to vote. If I was around to fight in the wars then I would have done. It doesnt mean I would get upset if people didn't want to vote.

If by voting, I could prevent another Nazi invasion (or similar) then I would. As it stands I have to choose between the parties on offer, and none of them are particularly threatening enough to pull out the "people have died" line.

Last edited: 5 May 2005
  3. quack

quack Minimodder

If you don't bother to go and vote at all then all the people that have fought for our RIGHT to a say in who runs the country wasted their time (and lives in some cases). Just because you don't want to vote for anyone in particular shouldn't mean you don't do anything about it.

4. penski

penski BodMod

No, you have it completely ass-backwards.

People have fought and died to give you the right to vote. Part of this right is also the right to spoil your vote.

Not using your vote (either for a party or against all comers) is virtually pissing on the graves of those who did fight and die to give you that right.

*n

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

You say it as if that is the only thing they were fighting for. More like they were fighting to keep out one particular group, not necessarily to let Tony Blair or Michael Howard in.

No, they didn't waste their time. How does me not voting affect the victory over the Germans in the wars? If I had to vote between the Nazis and the Torys, it would be a totally different matter and your statemtent would be reasonable.

And for me personally, I already said that no-one told me I could spoil my ballot, even though I directly asked a few people.

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I beg to differ. It's not like they died specifically for this reason. There would have been other consequences of Nazi rule other than being unable to vote. Trust me, I'm of Polish decent, I have heard a few stories.

Anyway, I have already said that I was under the impression that spoiling a vote had no consequence, even after actively seeking such information. Am I still pissing on the graves of those that I hold the utmost respect for?

7. quack

quack Minimodder

I never mentioned the war (unlike Mr Fawlty or penski for that matter) but they do come into it...

I was more thinking about the fact we're a democracy run BY the people FOR the people, with everyone (men AND women) over the age of 18 able to say who they want to run the country for them.

Women have only been able to vote since 1918, and they make up a big chunk of those that don't bother. Emmeline Pankhurst would be turning in her grave.

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

It sucks then that a party can get in with, for instance, only 40% of the votes but then get, for instance, 70% of the seats in commons.

I bet some of our war heroes would be slightly pissed at this. That means that anyone who doesn't spoil their ballot are insulting them, apparently.

You can't please all of the people all of the time. Something that is fundamental to politics.

9. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

Hence why I'm v.narked I miss out by 1 month :miffed:

If I were voting today I would labour. The reason being that my labour MP has actually done a lot for my community. Although I do agree with more of the liberal democrats plans/policies/promises, a vote for lib dem round here IS a wasted vote because it would just let the conservative candidate in and I don't want to be under tory rule!!

10. Annemarie

Annemarie What's a Dremel?

I voted Lib Dems becasue i want them to get more seats in paliamnet sand so have a bigger voice. The ultimate aim in this election is for Lib Dems to become the opposition.

Ideally i would have voted Green but they are not stanning where i am from.

I didn't think Micheal Howard was a capable leader, i don't mind if labour get back in, which i am nearly certain they will but i agree more with the issues Lib Dems are fighting for.

11. LLu_

LLu_ What's a Dremel?

I couldn't vote because my postal vote didn't come through and I live too far from my old address! very annoying indeed. I would have voted Lib Dem.

When will the final result be anounced? early hours of the morning?

12. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Why are people voting for the Liberal Democrats?!?!

Do YOU really want a drunk ginger as the leader of this country? I think not... ;)

13. K

K 528491

Agree with penski. The ONLY way to waste your vote is by not putting pen to paper. You've still got 3 to 4 hours if you haven't voted/not-voted-but-made-your point yet anyways. By staying home you're voting for apathy, even though some of you obviously have something to say and are clearly not apathetic about the situation.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cancel my student debt, yes please. I couldnt give a **** about any other policy or what they look like.

K - you mean going there and defacing the form? Then yes, that's the only way to not vote otherwise you're just a lazy mofo.

15. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

So true. I think it's absolutlely shocking that such a low percentage of our generation waste their vote! If you don't agree with any of the parties then spoil your ballot paper.

If you don't vote you have no right to moan about any aspect of the way the country is run full stop.

What this country needs is a 'Non of the above' party.

16. Annemarie

Annemarie What's a Dremel?

I think the results will be in, in the early hours of the morning around 3 but first results will be in a few minutes after the polls have closed.

I voted for Charles Kennedy becasue he seems like a nice guy, soemone wh you could talk to and the majority of their policies are good.

17. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

They way i see it is if you dont vote you cant moan!

Heres the deal with me. Labour have been in for quite a few years now. In the time that they have been in goverment i cannot think of one aspect of my life that is improved due to their decisions. However i can think of 100s things that have got worse and 100s of ways they have spent my money on absoult jack ****!

The number one objective of this election for me and many others is to get labour out!

Now take a look at the figures. If labour dont win who will? yes it will be the conservitives, the lib dems are just too far behind to win.

Now i dont exactly agree with the conservitives 100% in atual fact i would say they have most things wrong. The lib dems are worse and have not got a realistic chance of winning so they are out straight away.

If i voted for what i relly belive in it would be UKIP (even tho they are a bunch of ******s) but they aint going to win are thay so that would be my vote wasted.

thus i reluctantly vote for conservitives

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

funnily enough, I've just finished watching Brewsters Millions...

19. K

K 528491

Yes, you've just worded it the other way around I suppose ;)

20. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

I voted. Like Hazza, it's a secret ballot so I'm not going to say who for :D

I can only hope that this election brings about three things:

1)The long overdue final nail in the coffin for the conservative party. How anyone could even consider voting for a party led by one of Thatcher's cronies I could never understand...

2)A vastly reduced Labour majority, which might actually scare the *******s into making some improvements over the next four years

3)An increased Green agenda in parliament. The NHS and the economy will be f*** all use when the ice caps melt...

Sam