1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Online Gaming with a capped Provider

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mog, 8 May 2005.

1. mog

mog What's a Dremel?

I'm looking to move from 58k to broadband(at last) and as I'm looking forward to playing Battlefield 2 I was wondering how much of my monthly allowance would playing online games roughly use?Would I be best going for an uncapped service and if so which one.I've been trawling the net and can only really find AOL(who I don't want to go back to because the software got on my thrippennies) or Tesco which was getting a bit of flak when it first started up.

Any pointers would be most welcome.

Edit:

It's ok after many hours googling I found this

http://www.freedom2support.net/adsl/bandwidthcalc.php

So Supanet it is then!

Last edited: 8 May 2005
  2. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Pipex? UKonline (not exactly sure about this company)?

There are lots of companies on www.adslguide.org and that has a good comparison function too. :D

3. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

pipex kick sooooooo much ass. i can download as much stuff as i want and they never say a thing. plus the pings on CS:S and many other games are quite good(sub 80 most of the time)

4. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

See if there is a community broadband project near you, generally their not capped and not throttled either.

Our project allows unlimited PC's connected, No cap, no throttling and you can resell your bandwidth if you want to.

It costs the ISP's to Cap/Throttle but it creates a false scarcity of resource, and scarce resources can be charged through the nose for. With all the unlit fibre running accross the country we could all be on Gb broadband for pennies, but it doesn't suit the incumbants to allow us it.

5. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

i would go with blueyonder...i get awsome pings on CSS like >60 normally

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I'd recommend them as well. The service is very fast. I originally got the 1mb line, but they upgraded it to 1.5mb and then 2mb for free :D

7. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Yeh, I like pipex. I get a ping of 45 on my 512k (soon to be 1mb) service, and I'm in the countryside! (This is on planetside)

8. mog

mog What's a Dremel?

Mmm,decisions decisions.
    Pipex 's 1mb uncapped service is £23.44 but only £19.99 with a 2 gb cap.
    UKonline is £19.99 for a 512 kb uncapped service.
    Supanet is £17.99 for a 2mb service with a 3 gb cap.

Supanets price is swaying me.Has anyone got any nightmare stories about them before I sign up tomorrow.

Cheers again

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

BT are very good provided you don't need customer support - I get pings of <50 for 99% of servers. Very good uncapped services. :thumb:

10. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

its capped.
    pay another fiver and get the 1mb pipex. it you're playing lots of games you will use up 3gb in a week especially on 2mb.

Tags: