1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Powerhouse

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kobalt, 11 May 2005.

1. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

I'm currently trying to build a close to 2 Kw power supply consisting of 2-550W,1-450W and 1-400W psu's each will have it's part of the case to power like mobo,lights,fans,drives. It'll be 18 inches long the lenth of the case and will have a junction box in the back

But first getting rid of the motherboard wires and a few unwanted ones. I decided to desolder them from the pcb so it'll look nicer

[​IMG]

2. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

thats going to make your powerbill HUGE :S Is all that just for 1 pc?

3. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Is it? I'm thinking most of its capacity will not be used, so it will not even reach 2kW. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Well it's not going to be 2Kw if you think of REAL watts, i'm going with what's on the box. And you're right it's not going to be all used.A bit like a stock system 1 drive 2 fans with a 550W psu.
    If you think that a 450W will run the motherboard alone, these will not even break a sweat well maybe the one for lights loll.

5. BiG Kahuna

BiG Kahuna What's a Dremel?

Then the question is why would you need a 2kW PSU? :rolleyes:
    Is it really only for a single computer? wouldn't just a 1kW PSU be enough then?

6. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

I used an aluminium plate to put them all on. Here i drilled holes for spacers that will be used for grounding them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also i've done the plate with a round metal brush to give it a cool look. the back is much better, you will not see this side anyways lol.
    [​IMG]

I've put a piece of chrome sleeve on one of the ps wires see what it will look like.Just a quick addition tells me that it will take close to 20ft of sleeving
    [​IMG]

I've decided to put them in a hexagonal shaped casing plexiglass of course to go with the plexi case which btw will be 18 inches long the lenth of the case.
    [​IMG]

Ok now let's see all of them on there.I also did some work on the heat sinks, they will be lightly painted
    [​IMG]

In the plexi box. I will have to make some kind of a junction box at one end for the wires so it'll be nice and tidy
    [​IMG]

Here's the underside of the plate that you will be able to see if you lift the whole thing
    [​IMG]

And that's where i'm at, i have to work on the wires and paint the HS and find a way to cool those suckers lol

7. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Cause i wanted to have a biggie it really dosn matter what size it is , it's the mod that counts loll :hehe:

8. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Have to say though, it sounds 73h s3xx0rz as hell to have a 2kW PSU, doesn't it? I've got to build me a 1 megawatt PSU lol!

9. BrokeEnthusiast

BrokeEnthusiast What's a Dremel?

Wow it looks good. But I dont fully understand the purpose...

10. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

WTF are you gonna use that psu for

11. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Just the usual stuff in a usual case with a couple of ccfl's and fans :hehe:
    As i said, it's the mod that counts.

I got the idea when i was thinking peoples always want a bigger and bigger psu, a couple of years back having a 550W was completely nuts, now it seems a must for a regular 1 drive system.
    The idea came from that tought, but if you think about it, a ps for each device group sounds real good, no more trouble when you change your video card for the latest,there's a psu just for that :D
    But i'm really doing it for the mod :thumb:

12. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

WOW :jawdrop: 2kw ps that's impressive. love the idea. what do u plan on doing with the plexi leave it clear, paint or decorate?

13. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

are you gonna make a future safe psu then. damn that is crazy :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: but cool :dremel: :rock: :naughty: :dremel: :rock: :naughty:

14. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Didn't really tought about that yet i mostly wing it :hehe: i know that i'll use 2 UV ccfl so yeah i guess there will be UV paint somewhere.

The cooling part is on my mind for now, i know they will not heat up much but still i have to think of something to cool this thing and i will need one end for the wires.if anyone have any ideas please post them i'm open for any good suggestions as weird as they can be :idea:
    I was thinking of two Tt ducting mod one on each top side near the wire end as exaust and a 120mm on the front end intake but it seems ordinary :eyebrow:

15. OdDBaLL_MoD

OdDBaLL_MoD Always planning something...

How about making it into a mini wind tunnel? Stick a big fan on one end, then the only problem would be how to get the smoke in. :D Now, surely thats not "ordinary" one, eh? :hehe:

16. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

The best part about it is that i dont have anything special like a 850XT or something, just a 9500 pro lolll maybe a 6600GT in the near future. My system is a 939 with a 3000 chip really nothing to scare a 450W :hehe:

17. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Comming along slowly :rolleyes:
    I wanted to go with chrome sleeving but the old shower hose gives it a more squiddy look loll. Got to get some more though :worried: .When i make the holes in the cover, i'll see if i can cross them over a bit like car headders :dremel: Will also put on meshing as a cover over the components and as you can see in the back of one of the pics i've tried UV paint on it and it looks good :naughty:
    Also waiting on some darn glue to hold the enclosure together, the one i used didn't hold and the box fell apart after a few days

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 May 2005