1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Is a Mini worth It

Discussion in 'Software' started by zerokool04, 12 May 2005.

1. zerokool04

zerokool04 What's a Dremel?

Recentley Windows has being annoying me, and I think its time for a change. SO I have been considering the purchase of a Mac, but dont want to splash out on a brand new G5 or eMac, and find that I dont like it. So I am considering the Mini, however the specs look a little low and I was wondering how well they run, it will only be used for web browsing and word processing, ill keep my PC for gaming and image editing etc.
    I have been looking on ebay for a second hand one, but the only problem with this is that they all have panther installed, and I really want a play with tiger.
    So what I guess im asking, is, is a mac mini worth it for word processing and web browsing.

Thanks
    Zerokool04

2. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I haven't used a Mini first hand, but I know they should be more than enough for just web browing and word processing.

3. K

K 528491

Most definitely. That's just the kind of thing they're ideal for. It's a lifestyle computer perfectly suited for such things.

4. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

The only thing I would recommend is to upgrade the RAM the new OSX can be a memory hog.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

After 15 mins I was frustrated as heck with 256MB, sooooooooo slow. Definitely upgrade it if you do get one.

6. StEvEzAsYcHo

StEvEzAsYcHo What's a Dremel?

I want one, but Im a loser, and will never have one.. Everyones life will go on, and mine will end.. No need to shed a tear I guess..

I want one though.. Like I said.. Aint gonna happen..

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

My friend said he had a G3 iBook with 128mb of ram and OSX and it was fine. Not great but usable. However I've heard overall that you really want 512mb min.

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi,

I have a G4 1,5Ghz wich is slightly faster then the Mini Macs, and they are perfect for surfing, emailing, word processing...

Its basically your ideal Office machine.

I do strongly recommend to get 512mb of ram. Especially if you're going to want to use all the graphic-intensive gadgets the OS has to offer. The upgrade is definatly worth it. IMO They need to send them stock with 512mb..

Personally I'm not a Fan of them. In my Eyes they are an iBook without the screen, keyboard, keypad, battery and they even have LESS outputs (no way to connect 2 screens). So in that perspective they are rather expensive.

But as I sed they are PERFECT for Office applications. Do know that there is no microsoft Access for it. And no Virtual PC isn't a way around this!

Good luck!

L

9. VirtualJedi

VirtualJedi What's a Dremel?

Macminis are dumb your best bet is to learn how to stop screwing up your pc machine.

10. planki

planki ...

qualify how a computer can be dumb??

11. quack

quack Minimodder

It's amazing how it seems impossible to have a sensible discussion about an Apple product without someone coming along and saying "omg they sux0r, get a PC". *sigh*

12. zerokool04

zerokool04 What's a Dremel?

Virtual Jedi, im not sure what youre trying to say, but it seems to me your'e calling me stupid. Its not the fact that I dont know how to use it (Because I can ensure you I do), its the fact its getting boring and I need something else to play with. In my opinion being able to use OS X and Windows is better that just being able to use one of them.

13. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

I got my Mac Mini earlier this week - er... the people saying they'll do for word processing and web machines are really underestimating the power of these things. I got mine with a gig of ram and it seems to be an absolute beast - works with BIG photoshop images a lot better than my p4 3ghz jibby jobby did - 600mb files are rendered with ease :)

Its a really nice little computer - dont be put off by its size, its just as powerful as most of the old g4 tower case systems!

14. BigBadBonobo

BigBadBonobo What's a Dremel?

I will choose to ignore the fanboy flamebait from PC minions, and instead mention my mac-mini experience. Purchased the 80gb model for $536 from MicroCenter 3 wks ago. This is my first Mac - I decided to quit my bitchin about Win PC's and take action instead. Like some other posters I wasnt willing to spend $2000+, so opted to try out the mini, since it fits in with my overall home entertainment strategy. Must say you get alot of bang for your buck with this thing.

Here are some major highpoints:

Build quality is outstanding for a budget machine. Looks damn sweet in the AV rack as well.

Whisper silent. The fan rarely activates, and is in low DB range when it does.
    Heat mgmt is prolly the best of all my electronics, with only the XBox coming as close.
    It comes with fully functioning Mac OS, nothing is disabled to allow for running on minaturized arch.

These are the lowpoints:

Input/output options are very limited - just 2 USB ports and 1 firewire. Minimate sells a port replicator that fits the mini look perfectly (for anyone interested).

Shelling out extra dough is pretty much mandatory for this machine. At the minimum you will need to get more memory, plus USB mouse/keyboard (if you dont own already), plus monitor. I spent an additional $250 to get - bluetooth mouse/keyboard, 512 MB mem, internal airport/bluetooth kit. I am using an old PC monitor, until the 50in LCD PC/TV is purchased ;)

I dont know if this is a con or not, but I encounter the spinning beachball from hell problem in Safari about 1nce a week. I dont know if this is a mac-mini or Tiger prob.

Final conclusion:

This machine kicks ass! I am for all intents and purposes still a mac virgin, but that cherry is gettin popped with this experience. lol. So far not a thing I havent been able to do. Plus I finally get the best of both worlds - a sweet, well polished UI AND the power of (UNIX) inside. Yea!

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Welcome to bit-tech BigBadBonobo :D

Bennifer - out of interest are you running Tiger or Panther? edit: noticed you said you'd bought it in the last week so it must be Tiger.

16. radek

radek What's a Dremel?

I have upgraded to 1.42 mini from dual 450 G4, and I have to admit it is faster. I did invest in 7200RPM HD in 1GB of RAM though. Good example of perfrmance increase is... Virtual PC. I am not teasing you people... it finally got usable...

17. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Im running Tiger - I actually bought it from James Preedy on this forum secondhand. Someone mentioned the build quality - indeed, its really nicely made too. I got the keyboard and mouse for it too, and they are beautiful, looking at those massive Logitech things makes me :waah: now - ugly!

18. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

it's processor isn't very clever?

e.g it takes a fx55 a few seconds to solve something a duron would take an hour on :hehe:

19. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I'm really happy with my mini... use for most of 'home' computing (surfing, hifi with my k700i as a bluetooth remote, word 2004 etc.) and OS X does very well with 512MB, it's plenty fast enough for me... only turn my Athlon64 machine on for things I can't do on the mac; a lot of my work is PC based, and there're a few apps I miss on the mac, like Paintshop Pro for example - photoshop is too expensive and complicated IMO, Nero too (Toast was the best part of $99 last I checked, $100 for CD burning software, that's crazy talk!).

Anyway in general I'd give the mini a thumbs up, lovely/easy to use, quite quick (I think the slow HDD is a bit limiting) and very very pretty/quiet. If mine broke tomorrow I'd replace it :)

Tags: