1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Sangaku" New York Times

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 7 May 2005.

1. Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary What's a Dremel?

I love wood..... you could call it a fetish, its turning out really detailed and an eye-candy. I love it! :D

2. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

Haha. You love wood.

I will say that the project is very arousing though. (visually... yeah. visually)

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Managed to miss this somehow, but really great work. I'm a fan of wood cases, if the construction is is good which this sure seems to be, they just have a way of automatically looking good :D

4. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

hey everyone, no updates yet, the shop wasn't being to nice the other day, but i should get a ton of stuff done this weekend if all goes well, thanks for ur patience and you positive feedback, its helping me stay motivated to actually finish this thing amongst all the other hw i have

5. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

greensabbath - EXCELLENT looking mod you have going here! good, clean lines, and good mill work on your parts!

Keep the attention to detail alive, and this mod will be astounding!
    Just keep your patience...
    ;)

Good job thus far!

6. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

finally, i got a nice full day in the shop and i got a good amount of stuff done on the case. First, i got started with the side shoji doors, which are going to be made out of sitka spruce
    here is the pile of roughly cut wood:
    [​IMG]
    after everything was cut to length, it was time to make some of grooves for the bottom panel, and i used this weird router table, which i happen to like:
    [​IMG]
    the stiles before being cut:
    [​IMG]
    the stiles and rails with the grooves cut:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i planned on using the router table for the mortises also, but that didn't go so well, so i went to use the dedicated mortising machine, which i found to be even worse since the chisel on it was extremely dull, so instead of cutting the wood, it was crushing the wood....not good... so eventually my chisels won and they produced much better mortises anyway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the next big step was to cut the acrylic for the interior frame, which i was honestly quite nervouse about, but in the end it turned out beautifully and here is the test fitting of the rough cut panels (rough as in without all the holes and all that, that cuts were actually better than the factory edge)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

for the cutouts, i was going to use a bandsaw, but the bandsaws in my school's shop are really crappy, and since i have access to a mill, i thought why not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what i was left with were really smooth cuts, and a nice rounded edge that would have been impossible with most other tools. the test fitting of these peices was also a bit more exciting:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i also took the time to cut the acrylic that attaches to the dvd drive to complete the stealth look:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The aftermath of the acrylic madness:
    [​IMG]

anyway, that's what i've been up to, next is finishing the doors and milling the back panel, from which i can then glue the interior frame together, and that will be most of the hard part...well, sorta, a big step anyway, but, i am gettng rid of the front doors, which in turn changed the design of the top panel, but my friend helped me design a new top based on the old one:

[​IMG]
    here is a full-scale layout
    [​IMG]
    i'll explain what everything is made out of later, but it should encorperate most of the elements of the project to tie everything together, and as usual, any questions or comments are welcome

7. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Hey
    Nice job so far. It's great seeing other people working with wood computers too. I like your techniques, which are a bit different from what I usually do.
    I can't wait for your next update!

8. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Looks amazing! Keep going!

9. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: This is awesome beyond belief!

Aweeeesome work! :thumb:

10. mafia11671

mafia11671 What's a Dremel?

At first I wasn't too thrilled about a wood case. Yours has changed my mind; it has a good finish and is very tastefully done. Now, if I could just figure out how to get my hands on those machines......
    Mafia

11. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

i must admit this case is looking amazing

take care and mod on

12. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

Nice nice nice.. go on!

13. BBurger

BBurger What's a Dremel?

Awesome case - love the Japanese woodwork.

A former co-worker of mine was into woodwork and showed me some of the stuff the Japanese masters get up to with simple tools - amazing work!

Good luck and keep us posted!

14. foundsoul

foundsoul What's a Dremel?

NICE WORK looks great keep it up

15. ginx

ginx What's a Dremel?

Very nice wook, I love the design so far, keep us updated

16. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

w00t...

what grade are you in? Here do you go to school?

17. Blanbec

Blanbec What's a Dremel?

Great wood job !
    :thumb:

18. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Milling the acrylic? A great idea! Personally, I find it very hard to cut acrylic with anything but one particular machine, which could be helpful for some people. Not tried a mill, looks to be probably the best.

For small cuttings on acrylic if you don't have a mill (ie, most of us), Dremel makes a rotary saw attachment used to cut holes in drywall, etc. Drill a hole through the acrylic with a good drill, then use the dremel to do the cutting of the hole (medium settings work best). A somewhat slow process, but produces a BEAUTIFUL edge, similar to a milled one.

19. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

i'm 19 and a freshmen in college (although the year is almost out) and i go to Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, for architecture

20. seb87

seb87 What's a Dremel?

that's a really original and nice case.... :rock: :rock:

how is about the cost of the wood for make this ?? :confused: :D