1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Filling the gap in projects, any advice???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by -Mr.HiM-, 16 May 2005.

1. -Mr.HiM-

-Mr.HiM- What's a Dremel?

Hi all...

I have a mod project, and currently im in the constructing phase of the re-designed chassis i have started, but before i take a stab at something quite new to me i thought i'd ask the bit-tech forums advice...

:D

I have a modded facia for a case, and i have a few gaps there from a join made by myself and affixed from behind, and i am nearing the stage for painting and tidying up and this gap is going to filled, but what with i ask?

:sigh:

This needs to provide a nice surface for spray painting on, and one which doesn't leave an obvious mark against the rest of the paint work once finished, anyone got any recommendations?

Fillers needed (Im in the uk!!)
    Help would be appreciated!!
    (cheers...)

Last edited: 16 May 2005
  2. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

some kind of filler that sticks to plastic.

I don't know if it is an international brand, but Plastic Padding should have a product for that purpouse.

3. -Mr.HiM-

Oh.. and just to add, my first idea was car body-filler, but i have heard that it does however, despite how much you sand it, leave distinct markings on the finished/sprayed surface after-which...

Pictures of finished products and links would be good too, if at all possible...
    (uk only!)

Thanks!

4. -Mr.HiM-

Sorry, and before i forget... its a wavemaster, so it would have to be something which sticks to aluminium and does as i asked above in post 1 and 2... filler products, modding picks of use, perhaps links to appropriate websites.. all welcome!!

Anyone?

(and thanks for the post!!)

5. -Mr.HiM-

Filler people?

:sigh:

6. scousechris

scousechris What's a Dremel?

Is it not Bondo?

7. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

Ill put in a vote for bondo - aka body filler. Dunno where you heard that nonsense. If you do it right, and sand appropriately, itll look like it was never there.

8. -Mr.HiM-

Hi,

Cheers shroom...

And thanks for clearing that up for me, :D , and i did say "i have heard"... and if it where from a decent source im sure i would have said "i know", lol...

;)

Certainly nice to know the facts, im going to look through the guides section to see if i cant find something more on it... just to make sure i do everything right, and of course get some bondo ordered in. If anyone has anything which would help (guides, advice.. etc..) that would be great...

Thanks all...

9. Matt_Ingram

Matt_Ingram What's a Dremel?

For my product design A level major project i used P38 car body filler, its brilliant stuff. Covered up my nasty, nasty welds (gas welding) just nicely, sands down a treat and paints well. Does clog up your file though, best to have a bucket of hot water next to you. I also used it to put a better shape on, take away the boxy look from the clamp i made. Can use a rasp (you heard me) to take it down, shape it to the way you want it roughly, a file to take off the lumps, then use higher grades of sand paper to get the finish on it. Probably not the reccomended way to do it, but mine came out looking a treat.

10. -Mr.HiM-

Hi,

Firstly i didn't find anything in the guides section, and intend to look around to see if i can find anything by googling for a bit, if anyone has one feel free to share!

And matt, thanks for the recommendation.. P38 car body filler you say, where is this avalible/where did you find it and how much... If you wish to share... Pic's would be helpful too, although i think that would be being a bit too cheaky...

So we have votes for bondo and "P38 car body filler", any more suggestions would be appreciated, im going to have to make my mind up before next weekend, where the tidy-up session beings...

Thanks all for your posts so far!!

:thumb:

11. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

12. -Mr.HiM-

Hi,

Cheers shroom, better than most of the stuff i found... will still have a look around for anything else... but i think i'll most likely be going with that..
    [Thanks alot!!]

So, now i have practically sorted that end of my hunt im now looking for guides, if i can get my hands on any... plus have requested one here on bit-tech..

Thanks all!!!
    [great job!]

13. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

14. -Mr.HiM-

Hi..

Cheers for that, certainly gives me an idea of what it can achieve, and from the evidence its perfect... cant wait to give the stuff i've ordered a go!

As well as giving me some more idea's for other things i use it on...
    (feel free to add guides, and other bits and piece's, as im sure they'll come in handy...)

Thanks alot for all your posts!!

:thumb: